How often do you clean your Saiga 223

Well I installed my rail today and I think after zeroing in my scope, it's going to be a bastard to get it off to clean the rifle and zero it in again. Even if I mark the screws, I don't think it'll be right 100%.

So, shooting Remington UMC from Walmart and some PRVI brass ammo, how long is a reasonable interval between cleanings?

I think cleaning the barrel shouldn't matter but cleaning the action, bolt, etc will require removing the top cover and of course the slide rail.

Actually, can you even clean the barrel without the bolt locked back?

LOL every 300 or 400 rounds I will say, that's what I burn every trip to the range or shoot out.

The bolt face, the gas tube, piston, barrel and muzzle brakes gets the majority of burn cake

powder residue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Clean? Uhh whats that?

If I use brown bear or any other cheap ammo I clean it within a week of shooting it (they seem to be a little bit corrosive). Maybe every 90 rounds or so, I just run a brush down the bore and wipe off the big hunks of crap then I'm done.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The only saiga i have had problems with NOT cleaning is the shoties

the gas piston seems to get stuck as i have seen more often in OPs

guns than in mine but i clean mine at least once every couple of years lol

no every time i shoot

DragonWolf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I typically will wipe down the outside of the gun after each range session. I will use a spray cleaner with out removing the dust cover after 5 to 6 sessions, and will perform a full cleaning around 20 sessions. If it was a particularly heavy range session or 3 gun match I will blow out residue with some canned air. I lub her up with some Gigaloo every couple of sessions.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I work at a range so I put my converted .223 up for people to rent (don't worry I bought another one :devil: ). The thing NEVER gets cleaned and keeps on running. Our Bushy M4gery is another story...

Well I installed my rail today and I think after zeroing in my scope, it's going to be a bastard to get it off to clean the rifle and zero it in again. Even if I mark the screws, I don't think it'll be right 100%.

So, shooting Remington UMC from Walmart and some PRVI brass ammo, how long is a reasonable interval between cleanings?

I think cleaning the barrel shouldn't matter but cleaning the action, bolt, etc will require removing the top cover and of course the slide rail.

I clean after every trip to the range whether I shoot 1 or 100 rounds. I have bought 2 used pistols in the last few months and I am disgusted by how some people keep their guns... and how could you send a person a dirty gun??? Maybe I'm a little to anal but I like a clean gun.

I clean after every trip to the range whether I shoot 1 or 100 rounds. I have bought 2 used pistols in the last few months and I am disgusted by how some people keep their guns... and how could you send a person a dirty gun??? Maybe I'm a little to anal but I like a clean gun.

I have a neighbor who washes all his cars every other day no matter if he drives them or not. It's An obsessive kinda thing I guess. I hear ZOLOFT works pretty good for these type disorders.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

i know that people say that ak's dont need to be cleaned but i like to clean all of mine after every time i take them out. if we were in a combat situation that would be different but were not so i like to take care of my investments

i know that people say that ak's dont need to be cleaned but i like to clean all of mine after every time i take them out. if we were in a combat situation that would be different but were not so i like to take care of my investments

I haven't cleaned mine yet and shoot Silver Bear or Golden Tiger. It's had about 1500 rnds so far and no visible wear.