How often do you clean your Saiga 223

• 4 weeks later...
Well I installed my rail today and I think after zeroing in my scope, it's going to be a bastard to get it off to clean the rifle and zero it in again. Even if I mark the screws, I don't think it'll be right 100%.

Sorry to hear that. When I ordered my scope mount, it was mandatory that I could field strip the rifle without removing the scope/mount.

Some photos & comments regarding my Saiga .223 scope mount.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

There is a certain amout of brass in the rifling groves. After while it begins to build up a bit. My opinion, if you want a Minute of Paper Plate, don't worry. As for me, I clean it ESPECIALLY when I broke in the barrel every few rounds. I shoot more than 3 rounds it gets cleaned with copper bore cleaner. I firmly belive it really helps to tighten up the groups. I like tight groups.

One other conisideration. If you went to battle in the next 15 minutes with your rifle, is it ready? Would you be able to strike out and keep plucking away if some insurgent radial S.O.B.s landed in your neck of the woods and you had to rely on that rifle to keep you safe? I'd rather start out with a somewhat clean rifle the minute I take it out of the house, whether to "do battle'" or to just shoot at my range, or a coyote. They issued a cleaning kit with the rifles for a reason. In basic training and also in other "schools" if you were to keep a dirty rifle around do you think it would go un noticed?

Edited by Darth AkSarBen
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Thats like asking how often do you change underwear....

Me personally, every 4 days...

Wear once normal

Next day front to back

Next day inside out

Next day inside out front to back...

I just thought id throw that in there with all the rest of the analogies...

But on a serious note, I usualy clean every gun after one range trip... Unless Im super lazy when i get home that day, which isnt often...

But im sure you dont NEED to clean them that often...

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I have an experiment going. My Saiga .223 has never been cleaned. 2 years and about 3000+ rounds. I have used a rag to wipe some of the gunk out of the reciever and dump some oil in it every use, but that is all I have done to it. I have never, and mean never, had a FTL or FTF. Lucky i suppose. That rifle is an absolute champ!

• Like 1

Well, gentlemen , I am the opposite . I pamper my guns , all of them and every time I go to the range , my rifles and pistols get a complete cleaning . If I shoot corrosive , like I do with my PSL 7.62X54R and my CZ-52s 7.62x25 , is double cleaning . With the others , is a regular cleaning , but well done, with no corners skipped . If , like in most occassions , I take with me a couple of pistols and a pair of rifles to spend the day at the range , I divide the cleaning and I finish everything the next day .Of course, I am retired and with all the time in the world to enjoy handling my firearms , which is a plus .

Edited by josey88