Which choke should I use

As I previously stated, I am relatively new to the wonderful world of the Saiga 410 (buying a 20 ga next). Anyway, the 410 is our home defense weapon and I presently have a 10 round magazine loaded with Golden Bear 2 3/4 #4 Buckshot. I have 2 chokes (#1 and #0.5) and also a thread protector. Which choke should I use with the Buckshot and how do you know which choke to use with what type of shot? I have slugs as well but know better than using a choke with slugs and I am told the buckshot is better than slugs for home protection. Any advice would be appreciated.

As I previously stated, I am relatively new to the wonderful world of the Saiga 410 (buying a 20 ga next). Anyway, the 410 is our home defense weapon and I presently have a 10 round magazine loaded with Golden Bear 2 3/4 #4 Buckshot. I have 2 chokes (#1 and #0.5) and also a thread protector. Which choke should I use with the Buckshot and how do you know which choke to use with what type of shot? I have slugs as well but know better than using a choke with slugs and I am told the buckshot is better than slugs for home protection. Any advice would be appreciated.

At reasonable, home-defense range, buckshot should be both better and more accurate than slugs. For shot, I would use full choke. That is, of course, strictly a personal choice but it would allow some pellet spread.

Edited by Aethelbert

Home defense, ultra close range there won't be enough spread to make a difference in the choke used. Remember 10yds is only 30feet and most people won't encounter trouble much farther out than that. Stay with the thread protector and stagger your mag load with shot and slug. IMHO. BTW 410 is my choice for HD. effective with little collateral damage.

Home defense, ultra close range there won't be enough spread to make a difference in the choke used. Remember 10yds is only 30feet and most people won't encounter trouble much farther out than that. Stay with the thread protector and stagger your mag load with shot and slug. IMHO. BTW 410 is my choice for HD. effective with little collateral damage.

I agree, I prefer no choke myself. Go to a range or wherever you shoot with a big piece of cardboard, and shoot it once and look at how the spread is. That'll tell you everything you need to know. I'm not using any chokes anytime soon.

Chokes are for hunting. Take a quick glance at the shotgun rack at your local sporting goods store. Guns designed for hunting have chokes -- "Tactical Guns" (defense) have cylinder bore barrels with no choke.

Use the thread protector for two legged varmits and a choke for four legged or winged varmits.