cheapest I can make one

You can add a PSL stock, ($10), G2 trigger, ($28), pistol grip nut and bolt, ($6), and make your own bullet guide. Figure another $10 for screws, tap for bullet guide, etc... and $10 for shipping and you're at $64 for everything out the door.

You'll be one part short of complying with 922r with that setup, but since you'd be using a thumbhole stock you'd only be noncompliant if you inserted a foreign high cap mag. If you used US made mags, then you'd have all your bases covered.

Edited by mr. fudd
You can add a PSL stock, ($10), G2 trigger, ($28), pistol grip nut and bolt, ($6), and make your own bullet guide. Figure another $10 for screws, tap for bullet guide, etc... and $10 for shipping and you're at $64 for everything out the door.

You'll be one part short of complying with 922r with that setup, but since you'd be using a thumbhole stock you'd only be noncompliant if you inserted a foreign high cap mag. If you used US made mags, then you'd have all your bases covered.

What about pistol grip. (15), I could switch the piston for (20) to be compliant. My goal here would be to build a caiga that would in the end cost less than a wasr....which these days are fetching 400 or more for some reason.

Who has a cheap tap set? ebay?

so:

saiga 16" from dph arms (250)

g2 group (30)

grip nut and bolt (7)

have materials for guide

tap (unknown amount)

hitch clips (1.50)

stock (<30)

need a new dremel (40+)

piston (20)

Minus the dremel, looks like around 340 dollars without adding transfer fees, shipping costs, tax, and misc expensis. Im gonna start a tally of links for the cheapest setup. Where are these psl stocks?

piston, grip screw and nut, and pistol grip (44) shipped from dph arms

16in saiga 7.62x39 and g2 trigger group (275) shipped Why are missippippi auto arm's prices cheaper on here than on his website?

Would just need a stock then....

Edited by jh664322

This may not be the cheapest way, but it's everything you need in one package. It's $189 shipped, or $169 shipped if you don't want the folding mechanism. It's actually quite the deal, considering what you're getting, plus the fact if you did by ordering from different sites, you'd have to tack on all the shipping from every site. $169 for everything you need is great.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=22929

The least expensive new US made stock I have been able to find is the TAPCO original AK buttstock.

The part:

http://www.tapco.com/proddesc.aspx?Id=c797...45-39a56f40a30e

Dallas tactical supplies has it for $23

The gun source has it for $20.80

I am sure there are other places but these are the two I found recently just surfing the web.

You can get the SAW style grip for around $16-18 or for the cheapest go with the original AK style grip for around $8-9.

I would definitely add enough parts to compliant without relying on magazines for parts but that is my preference.

Best of luck.

You don't need a pistol grip with the Dragunov stock. That's why it's the cheapest.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/index.asp...&ProdID=125

Yeah -- and it's also not a true conversion. And they aren't designed to work with the trigger in the forward (converted) position.

With the TAPCO stock and pistol grip, and the G2 trigger group you will be fully compliant -- so you don't need to spend the money to replace the gas piston.

The TAPCO stock has been getting good reviews. Personally, I prefer the SAW-style grip but the standard AK grip is cheaper.

And don't get hung up solely on the price -- consider the quality difference between a $400 WASR and a $400 Saiga. You're getting a whole lot more for your money with the Saiga!

Jim

You don't need a pistol grip with the Dragunov stock. That's why it's the cheapest.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/index.asp...&ProdID=125

Yeah -- and it's also not a true conversion. And they aren't designed to work with the trigger in the forward (converted) position.

With the TAPCO stock and pistol grip, and the G2 trigger group you will be fully compliant -- so you don't need to spend the money to replace the gas piston.

The TAPCO stock has been getting good reviews. Personally, I prefer the SAW-style grip but the standard AK grip is cheaper.

And don't get hung up solely on the price -- consider the quality difference between a $400 WASR and a $400 Saiga. You're getting a whole lot more for your money with the Saiga!

Jim

Wrong and wrong. It is a true conversion and the trigger is moved to the forward position.

As I stated in my original post, you are compliant with this stock so long as you use either a low cap mag or one with at least 1 US part. $64 for a full conversion, including shipping. That's the stock, trigger group, bullet guide, pistol grip nut, spare screws and all, plus shipping: $64. And I have a Tapco stock. Yes, they do work and they are well designed, but they're so cheaply made they use sheet rock screws to attach them to the trunnion. No Joke. On the first batch of Tapco folders they used a plastic hinge pin. They had to change to metal because the things literally self destructed.

Edited by mr. fudd
  • 1 month later...

Here are the parts you will need. I assumed $10.00 for shipping. These prices are good from 4 days ago. $250 for the rifle + $90 Parts = $340 total. I'm not sure what you can get a WASR for, but my local shop is asking over $370 +tax. The quality on your Saiga will be much higher than the WASR.

Part Name Tapco.com AKParts.com

---------------- --------------- ----------------------

Trigger Group $31.99 $28.95

Pistol Grip $10.99 $8.50

Grip Nut/Screw $7.99 $6.95

Butt Stock $29.99 $29.95

Screws $4.99 $5.95

Shipping $10.00 $10.00

======== ========= ============

Total $95.95 $90.30

Here are the parts you will need. I assumed $10.00 for shipping. These prices are good from 4 days ago. $250 for the rifle + $90 Parts = $340 total. I'm not sure what you can get a WASR for, but my local shop is asking over $370 +tax. The quality on your Saiga will be much higher than the WASR.

Part Name Tapco.com AKParts.com

---------------- --------------- ----------------------

Trigger Group $31.99 $28.95

Pistol Grip $10.99 $8.50

Grip Nut/Screw $7.99 $6.95

Butt Stock $29.99 $29.95

Screws $4.99 $5.95

Shipping $10.00 $10.00

======== ========= ============

Total $95.95 $90.30

nice. but who has the rifle for 250?

Yeah man, the best way to go is like these guys are saying. If you replace the buttstock and trigger group with US made parts, it won't matter what mags you use. That's the bear minimum - replaced 4 foreign parts with 4 US parts, total foreign parts = 10, you're good. Bottom line, conversion parts will be around 100 bucks, so just expect that.

But unlike a 400 dollar WASR from Romania, a 400 dollar Saiga from Russia (with love), is of much higher quality. It might take a little time, effort and patience, but you will definitely be happy with the outcome.

+1 for all these guys - they got great ideas!

akparts.com is coming out the cheapest, but they dont seem to have pistol grip nuts from what I saw (quickly).

Either way, this would be dang cheap. Probably less than 400 when all is done.

One thing, I don't have any experience with the tapco stocks. out of 10, how are they?

akparts.com is coming out the cheapest, but they dont seem to have pistol grip nuts from what I saw (quickly).

One thing, I don't have any experience with the tapco stocks. out of 10, how are they?

Hey guys! New to this site and in search of my first Saiga, probably will buy it this weekend.

My question ... its about compliance/conversion. This all seems a bit over my head as far as part count, but let me ask this as concisely as I can:

If I replace the stock Saiga's receiver with a UTG Saiga Receiver Cover Tri Rail Tactical Mount, and add a pistol gripped stock, all of American make, obviously, how many parts am I off in order to use hi cap mags? Sorry for the redundancy, I know this question has been asked a bunch. Thanks for any help!

Hey guys! New to this site and in search of my first Saiga, probably will buy it this weekend.

My question ... its about compliance/conversion. This all seems a bit over my head as far as part count, but let me ask this as concisely as I can:

If I replace the stock Saiga's receiver with a UTG Saiga Receiver Cover Tri Rail Tactical Mount, and add a pistol gripped stock, all of American make, obviously, how many parts am I off in order to use hi cap mags? Sorry for the redundancy, I know this question has been asked a bunch. Thanks for any help!

go check out this thread. Only certain parts are counted toward 922r. The reciever cover is not one of them.

Terrace has it right, check that thread. By the way, UTG products are not U.S. made.

Terrace has it right, check that thread. By the way, UTG products are not U.S. made.

SO ... if i use US hi cap mags + replace 1 other stock part(4 parts US, correct?), I am good to go? I guess I missed this, but how many parts does the US mag represent? Again, thanks and forgive my ignorance. ;)

SO ... if i use US hi cap mags + replace 1 other stock part(4 parts US, correct?), I am good to go? I guess I missed this, but how many parts does the US mag represent? Again, thanks and forgive my ignorance. ;)

a US made magazine = 3 compliance parts:

-magzine body

-follower (the part that seats your rounds)

-baseplate

If you don't want to convert the trigger group to pistol grip formation, the cheapest way to meet compliance using US made hi-cap magazines is to install a US made gas piston. TAPCO and Dinzag are the most popular choices for this route. This method does require some gunsmithing, but is financially the cheapest way to go.

If you don't feel comfortable with a drill and tap, the other way to change out that extra part is to install standard AKM hanguards. They count as 1 (one) part for total for the upper and lower. The problem with that is the price. You'll need to purchase a standard AKM gas tube (about 30 bucks), a set of handguards (anywhere from 30-50 bucks), a bolt on lower handguard retainer from Dinzag ($79).

gas piston + gunsmith = $30ish

vs.

hanguards, tube, and retainer + no gunsmithing = $160

it's all confidence and personal preference. I was in the same boat as you when I got my first Saiga....after about a month of debate I decided to say "funk it....convert." It's worth it and it's not that hard. Either way, enjoy your new first vice...err, I mean first rifle, err, just rifle!

you'll come back........

they always do.

:smoke:

Edited by terrace_mountain
gastube gas piston + gunsmith = $30ish

I know what you meant, but I fixed it for ya :D . I just don't want the guy to think the tube counts for compliance.

I was in the same boat as you when I got my first Saiga....after about a month of debate I decided to say "funk it....convert." It's worth it and it's not that hard.

I was the same way before my 1st conversion.

gastube gas piston + gunsmith = $30ish

I know what you meant, but I fixed it for ya :D . I just don't want the guy to think the tube counts for compliance.

I was in the same boat as you when I got my first Saiga....after about a month of debate I decided to say "funk it....convert." It's worth it and it's not that hard.

I was the same way before my 1st conversion.

thanks, homie. Several Belhaven Scottish Ales have clouded my proof reading skills.

a US made magazine = 3 compliance parts:

-magzine body

-follower (the part that seats your rounds)

-baseplate

If you don't want to convert the trigger group to pistol grip formation, the cheapest way to meet compliance using US made hi-cap magazines is to install a US made gas piston. TAPCO and Dinzag are the most popular choices for this route. This method does require some gunsmithing, but is financially the cheapest way to go.

If you don't feel comfortable with a drill and tap, the other way to change out that extra part is to install standard AKM hanguards. They count as 1 (one) part for total for the upper and lower. The problem with that is the price. You'll need to purchase a standard AKM gas tube (about 30 bucks), a set of handguards (anywhere from 30-50 bucks), a bolt on lower handguard retainer from Dinzag ($79).

I found this handguard, Tapco Saiga Galil Style Handguard, which requires no gas tube replacement. Counts as one compliance part. With this and US made mag, rifle should be compliant,eh?

Going to a local gun show tomorrow to check the Saiga rifles out. I am looking for a quick handling carbine that my wife can handle as well as myself in a SHTF scenario(like BO being elected). I like the 16in models but have yet to decide on caliber. Any one have any thoughts?

gas piston + gunsmith = $30ish

vs.

hanguards, tube, and retainer + no gunsmithing = $160

it's all confidence and personal preference. I was in the same boat as you when I got my first Saiga....after about a month of debate I decided to say "funk it....convert." It's worth it and it's not that hard. Either way, enjoy your new first vice...err, I mean first rifle, err, just rifle!

you'll come back........

they always do.

:smoke:

Wrong and wrong. It is a true conversion and the trigger is moved to the forward position.

I stand corrected.

However, friends don't let friends put something that hideous on their AK's!

Jim

i agree.. those stocks are butt ugly... when I first started looking for a way to change my saiga i saw those stocks and decided to leave my weapon alone. then, thank god i found this site

I stand corrected.

However, friends don't let friends put something that hideous on their AK's!

Jim

i agree.. those stocks are butt ugly... when I first started looking for a way to change my saiga i saw those stocks and decided to leave my weapon alone. then, thank god i found this site

OK, Maybe I'm the miss fit here, but I bought my Saiga because it didn't look like a "war" rifle. But it would do the same job as one. A "Wolf in Sheep's Clothing"

But I do want to use High cap mags...........or have them available for use, and know they work correctly. What do you advise to keep me compliant without "going to war" with it?