Exotic 12-Gauge Shells

Am I the only one that uses live 12 gauge rounds for 22 practice?

sorry, but when you set a 12 gauge shell off without it being in a chamber, it just pops.

Like Bob said, it is illegal to use such devices nowadays, as per outlawing about 100 years ago....

edit: I did a fairly through write-up of the exotic rounds a few years ago here, if you want to search for it. I also had to stop loading flechette rounds when I moved to "pro-gun" Florida. I dont know what most people are talking about with NY being so damn strict when it comes to guns, because I have noticed I cant do half the shit I did up there down here.

Edited by Bvamp
I'll stick to regular bird & buck at those prices, I like to shoot a lot.

MB930.jpg

LOL that thing could get you into trouble!

Add a piece of pipe and you would have a good burglar alarm for the club house.

I ran the flechette rounds though mine a few years back for shits and giggles. No problem at all. Backing board of the target looked cool. That was about it. For the money, you're way better off with buck shot, unless you just wanna blow some cash.

Pest control & boundary security system !!!

25 years ago in England I saw a similar set up used by gamekeepers to alert them of the presence of poachers in their woods.

The projectile was aimed towards the ground & a ' trip wire ' was rigged across a footpath on the private estates that the ' keepered ', at about chest height, therefore eliminating the possibilty of anything other than a human setting it off.

The trip wire used was ' fishing line '.

I have shot some of the exotic stuff. The chain mail is great against stuffed animals. The dragons breath is kinda cool but don't know what good it is other than neat to see at night just watch for combustables, it goes farther than you think. The exploding rounds only work against hard surface and then only makes a loud pop, a straight slug would do the same thing without the noise. I like the bird bombs or starburst for the effect and some of the whistling mortars are loud as all get out. I guess it just depends on what you are after. None of them seem to work any better than just plain shotgun rounds but it is neat to shoot the odd stuff once just to see the effects.

MB930.jpg

In some states, like SC for example, that is called a "Set Trap' and will get you life in prison if it is used against, or looks like you intended to use it against people.

As Ripley said, "Believe it or not!"

MB930.jpg

In some states, like SC for example, that is called a "Set Trap' and will get you life in prison if it is used against, or looks like you intended to use it against people.

As Ripley said, "Believe it or not!"

I would imagine that Booby Traps are illegal in all states and would get you where you don't want to be. Let me clarify that my post was for "humorous" and not "educational" purposes in case there is any dim bulb reading this thread. DO NOT BUY/USE THESE THINGS Better?

Edited by 1911

Hi all.. I came across this site while doing a Google Search on exotic 12 gauge rounds. The "Booby Trap" shown above is intended to be used ONLY WITH BLANKS, per the instructions in the ad and not with live ammunition. It's intent is to be used simply as a noise maker to alert you to someone on your property or scare away pests (I assume they mean of the animal types) and nothing else. Maybe with it's apparent somewhat flimsy construction it would fall apart if a live round were actually fired in it.

I do wonder if it happened to go off in the presence of someone with a heart condition, and the blast caused them to have a heart attack and they died, if you could be held on some charge since your actions may have contributed to their death. So like most of the rest of you, regardless if blank or live ammo... I'm going to steer clear of it as well.

I saw a version of that,more hitech though that used an electrical trigger to discharge a full can of OC Pepper spray into a room when an unauthorized individual broke the electric connection.Not sure they are still being sold but it was for "home,business and gun cabinets" and supposedly there were satisfied customers trying to get you to buy it.....

The dragons breath is kinda cool but don't know what good it is other than neat to see at night just watch for combustables, it goes farther than you think.

I've seen a video where they used "Remington 870s with special shells to light backfires" then the scene they cut to was mostly dark and you see 3 dragon's breath rounds get shot into a steep hillside. At that point I sat back in class and said "no wonder the forest service doesn't have any money, those things are expensive shells"

the professor looked at me awfully weird after that :unsure:

Pest control & boundary security system !!!

25 years ago in England I saw a similar set up used by gamekeepers to alert them of the presence of poachers in their woods.

The projectile was aimed towards the ground & a ' trip wire ' was rigged across a footpath on the private estates that the ' keepered ', at about chest height, therefore eliminating the possibilty of anything other than a human setting it off.

The trip wire used was ' fishing line '.

Now that makes much more sense, for it to be aimed at the ground and the tripwire pin being horizontal. With a blank round in there that would scare the crap out of most any creature...lol, and alert the property owner of traffic wherever it was placed. There would be no risk of injury since it's not aimed at the intruder like a claymore and with a longer tripwire could be placed safely off the beaten path or wildlife trail.

Of course I'm not about to go screwing those babies to trees and fenceposts around my property but it is a cool, effective design. :super:

Edited by Cobra 76 two

I have tried a few of the "Exotic Ammo" varients, dragons breath is my favorite (but I dont see it listed on that link). Most of them are just an expensive novelty but fun in their own right. The flechettes I tried really didnt stabilize reliably as most of them keyholed. Not to say that tumbleing little darts wouldnt be effective at causing damage, they just wouldnt penetrate much. I was at a gunshow a while back where nothing really caught my eye and I had some cash burning a hole in my pocket so I scooped up a handfull of them. If you are in a simmilar situation, go for it, they are entertaining but I think 3" OO Buck and 1 oz. rifled slugs are money better spent.

I saw a version of that,more hitech though that used an electrical trigger to discharge a full can of OC Pepper spray into a room when an unauthorized individual broke the electric connection.Not sure they are still being sold but it was for "home,business and gun cabinets" and supposedly there were satisfied customers trying to get you to buy it.....

http://www.burglarbomb.com/

They are advertised in the back of Shotgun News. I think they would be perfect for commercial and industrial buildings when nobody is around at night, as they dont need anyone to hear the blast and come running. The perp does the running (and crying and coughing). Only trouble is the repercussions, any scumbag inclined to break into your property to steal stuff is scared off by a face full of OC spray would be just as inclined to come back later and burn the place down.

On a side note not too far off topic, I remember reading a news article several years back where some guy was tired of his neighbors driving over his lawn so he planted some kind of makeshift landmines in there. Things didnt turn out real well for either party if I recall correctly. :unsure:

...outside one of the safe rooms/vaults I helped build, we put four single shot 12 gauges into the ceiling with a remote triggering cable to each.....I would hate to be the one that chases whoever owns that house now....