Keepshooting.com Saiga 12 magazines

Could some one post a picture of the bottom of the mag I want to see how the floor plate attaches I have an evil idea for a plus two extension that may work better on this that the OEM mags. If from the picture it looks like it will work I will buy a few and make some proto types

Edited by topmaul
The only draw back I can see is they are not the two rounders I need for hunting here in AZ.

other than migratory birds, you can use a 5 round mag in AZ for hunting they changed the regs a couple years ago.

also if you want to use it for hunting migratory birds, just put a block inside the mag to limit the capacity to 2.

slam dunk

Brian did say (keepshooting.com) that if he had say 6-8 decent examples of the 2 or 8 rounders, he might be able to do the same thing with them....

email him, see what he says, if you can offer him the parts....

Could some one post a picture of the bottom of the mag I want to see how the floor plate attaches I have an evil idea for a plus two extension that may work better on this that the OEM mags. If from the picture it looks like it will work I will buy a few and make some proto types

Topmaul,

I have some of the early prototype magazines that are dimensionally the same as the production run, just aren't as "pretty". If you want one to test a +2 extension and not worry about hacking up one you paid for, I can send you one or two of them for you to test with.

If your interested either PM me your mailing address, or send an email to me: brian.platt@btparms.com

-Brian

I tried my magazine and it worked well without hanging up. It fed all five rounds without stoppages. This confirms BVAMP's function test.

I'm glad I got the three Taiwanese made magazines for the price of one Russian one. All I had to do was file the rear magazine catch to get it to lock in the Saiga. Filing the magazine to get it to lock was an adjustment which the molder could do depending on material shrinkage after molding.

Edited by uzitiger
Sweet, thanks Bvamp! I'll be buying a few for sure.

Hope someone is willing to sacrifice some 8 rounders to be copied; heavy investment though.

That has already been taken care of. My spies in Izhmash have some samples coming my way and then to keepshooting.com.

All for the cause.

I would like to give Brian at Keepshooting.com as big of an endorsement as possible. I lost the feedlip off of one of my original magazines and he sent me a spare when I ordered a couple magazines from him. I Liked those first 2 so much I'm ordering 3 more. :up:

Thanks Again Brian!

I would like to point out that the (I am fairly sure) final pricing of single mags is now $24.95 with 3 or more mags purchased still getting the $19.95 pricing.

There are several reasons for this, as explained to me -

Discount pricing was made availible for a short time to get some mags out to the public and get some word spread about them.

Another reason, is they are more expensive to make than you think they are.

Lastly, the folks at Keepshooting.com did NOT wish to gouge the 5 round mag market.

This last reason, I personally think, demonstrates the type of people over there as being of good character and business minded at the same time.

As I said, it is not a mil-spec part like factory originals are, but it IS a very well made, inexpensive mag that is practical for just about every Saiga 12 owner to warrant picking up a few "extras" to have.

I got my 3 keepshooting.com mags in today.

They seemed to be better quality than my factory mag upon my first inspection.

I ran 20 round thru each of the three mags I got using Federal 7.5 shot and Winchester Super X 00 Buck.

I had the gun on setting 1 the whole time and had zero failures on any kind.

I like these mags better than the factory mags, and for the price it is a no brainer for me. The mag lip on my factory mag is prone to popping off, but these keepshooting.com mags seem very well made. They fit tighter in my gun than the factory mag does, but I believe this is a good thing.

I couldn't be happier with these mags and I plan on ordering three more in the very near future.

I just ordered a whole mess 'o mags from Keepshooting.com. The Saiga 5 round mags work great, almost as good as the factory except for the slick finish. They all locked into place and fed shells just fine, no noticable difference from the factory mags. I would recommend these to anyone looking for affordable 5 rounders.

I do have to take exception to some of the other mags I ordered. The FAL mags work great but have some lousy painted finish that comes off with thumbnail pressure. Not cool. I'd rather have spent the cash on some good parkerized mags where the finish doesn't come off the first time the mag is inserted. Also, I got a few 1911 mags that appear identical to my old Colt mags but with a slightly curved follower; unfortunately, it appears that the curved follower prevents there from being enough play in the mag to load a full clip on a closed slide. Also not cool. I guess those will be the "second-reload-only" clips.

Anyway, sorry to bitch about it on the forum but thats my honest experience, FWIW.

I took my 3 ($15) KeepShooting mags to the range Saturday. They perfectly, just like my Russian 5 rounders. I think the Taiwanese mags are easier to insert due to the front lip being flatter. The Russian mags seem to have a bevel that makes them want to slip off the lip sideways.

I think the floorplate design is superior on the KeepShooting mags... seems like there's more material around the lip. The bodies are probably weaker (Russian mags seem heavily fiber-reinforced), but I think I'd have to run them over with my truck for it to be a problem.

Now I just need Cobra to release his automatic bolt hold open :)

• 4 weeks later...

I have purchased three of the keepshooting magazines. They will not lock into the gun. I got impatient and with a knife and a file altered one of them to fit and it does manually feed 2.75 inch 12 ga shells into the chamber. I almost ruined it by cutting back on the locking tab at the mag's rear.

Question: what is the best way to alter these magazines to fit my gun? The problem appears that the distance between the locking tab at the rear to front of magazine is excessive. Should the plastic be removed at the front or the rear of the mag?

Edited by barnetmill
Brian did say (keepshooting.com) that if he had say 6-8 decent examples of the 2 or 8 rounders, he might be able to do the same thing with them....

email him, see what he says, if you can offer him the parts....

Hey Bvamp have you heard anything more from Brian about the possability of future 8 round mags ?

I have purchased three of the keepshooting magazines. They will not lock into the gun. I got impatient and with a knife and a file altered one of them to fit and it does manually feed 2.75 inch 12 ga shells into the chamber. I almost ruined it by cutting back on the locking tab at the mag's rear.

Question: what is the best way to alter these magazines to fit my gun? The problem appears that the distance between the locking tab at the rear to front of magazine is excessive. Should the plastic be removed at the front or the rear of the mag?

I had to trim material off the rear of the rear locking tab on my magazines to get them to fit into my shotgun. I'm pretty sure something up front needs a little trimming to since they fit almost too snuggly.. but I figure that will just wear in with more use.

Function wise, they have been perfect so far.

I bought 5 of them, and they worked pretty well. All locked into my gun without any problem, all fed the rounds (various loads of buckshot, birdshot, and slugs) without any problems. I did have one magazine that seemed a bit tough to fit the 5th round in, I'll pull it apart and check it out to make sure nothing was binding... maybe trim the bottom of the follower if necessary.

I did notice that all of the tawainese 5rd magazines were a BIT tough to pull back out of the shotgun... but a quick slap with the heel of my hand knocked htem out without much problem. I imagine that as they get used, they'll wear in just a bit and be perfect.

I also bought five of the keepshooting s12 mags. and had to fit them to the gun. I also had to do this with one of the stock mags I had so I did not think anything of it. The part of the mag which the mag release locks against has just a bit too much material. Both stock and KS mags work the same now with no noticeable difference.

Still a great deal

• 9 months later...