What the person selling them on gunbroker does not tell you, is that you have to add 4 us parts to the rifle to legally own it. So, you better make sure your FFL is also a gunsmith. Most people replace the FCG and the pistol grip. That will give you your required number of parts.

Of course that will add about $75 + labor to the price of the gun.

My Saiga 12C is sitting at my FFL right now because there are no US FCG in stock anywhere right now. My red star arms FCG does not work in the Saiga.

Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...
What the person selling them on gunbroker does not tell you, is that you have to add 4 us parts to the rifle to legally own it. So, you better make sure your FFL is also a gunsmith. Most people replace the FCG and the pistol grip. That will give you your required number of parts.

Of course that will add about $75 + labor to the price of the gun.

My Saiga 12C is sitting at my FFL right now because there are no US FCG in stock anywhere right now. My red star arms FCG does not work in the Saiga.

Good Luck!

Where have you seen the ATF specifically speaking to this 922® part issue on these legally imported non 922® guns? These guns were imported as is and then the AWB ended and the ATF said they were legally transferable to civilians. No where have I seen on any ATF publication where it said that these imported LEO guns were transferable to civilian ownership only following the installation of 922® parts. Why do people insist on giving the ATF more authority then they have already looted for themselves, and then disseminate the myths they create? You may be right, in fact I have already written the ATF for clarification on this matter, but why would you say something like, "this is the way it is" when you should be saying, "this MAY be the way it is according to my opinion and interpretation." I understand helping the guy make an informed decision, but lets not write an ATF ruling for him (or for the ATF) since others have posted on here how they were told by by ATF sources that the installation of 922® parts was not required. Let's get a real answer.

I hope you are right and the parts do not need to be switched.

For $35 I have the piece of mind that if it ever a issue I will be covered.

I still have my parts so if the letter comes back saying they are not needed I will put the original parts back in.

FREE

I didn't say they aren't required -- all I said was they haven't spoken on it* and that we shouldn't make assumptions considering the lack of information. We have essentially written oursleves into a corner with things like this. These opinions move through the grapevine until everybody thinks it's LAW and then the ATF just assumes they have the authority. My point is make them earn their pay -- no need for US to do it for them.

*The ATF really should have taken this point into consideration before they said transfers were permitted without giving any guidance on what is required to make civilian ownership legal. The ommission was very irresponsible on their part.

Well, I have spoken to a dealer who is selling these Saiga 12C's and he agreed that the parts need to be replaced.

Why take a chance, that's the way I see it.

If you roll the dice and lose, you are looking at a big time felony.

well -- if your dealer said then I guess it's all wrapped up.................

what's his address, i'll just write him for all future my future ATF opinion needs. :D

guess what, other's dealers have said they see no reason why it's required -- who is right -- your dealer or their dealer? again nweedle, i'm not saying you or your dealer are wrong -- i'm saying that YOU and others should not say statements that basically say "the law is" -- or -- "the law requires" when it's really just the opinion of you and your FFL. erroring on the side of caution is by no stretch a bad idea, just don't tell people it IS the law when neither you, i, or your FFL knows. you know what they say about opinions don't you.............

• 2 weeks later...

If 922 applies -

You don't need USA parts installed to make it legal to take home. You need to get the evil foreign parts count down. You can do this by removing parts without replacing them with USA parts. In this case of a 12c - take the the PG off & take it and the magazines home first. The remaining conglomeration of parts is legal to transfer and take home because it is less than the 10 evil parts required for critical mass. One of the asinine aspects of 922r is that a legal weapon can become illegal by putting a mag in the well (3 parts) and just as quickly return to legality by removing a evil mag. Nowhere does it say you must replace the parts with domestic - only that the total assembled is 10 or less. Separate the parts and take it home.

Of course, in order to use it legally you'll have to get the USA parts.

• 3 weeks later...
damn 650+ for this saiga 12 guages? 

there is one at my local gun shop for 369 i thouhgt that was ridiculous

Is the one at your local shop a Saiga 12 or a Saiga 12C? If it's a Saiga 12C, please send me the shop contact info so I can turn a quick $600 profit!!!! :devil:

In short, I don't think you understand the distinction between the two models. A Saiga 12 (even after some sort of conversion process) is not a Saiga 12C. You're talking about a distinction between a 1-100 (approx) Saiga 12C with a factory folder/pistol grip configuration and the proper markings, versus some neutered U.S. civilian market equivelant (or somebody's garage shop conversion there of). As far as collector's value -- there is a very big difference (no offense intended to owners of standard or converted Saiga 12 shotguns).

12c is the one with the pistol grip and 12 is the standard rifle style stock?

Well, that's how they come from the factory, but just because they have a pistol grip doesn't make them a 12C. Most are the standard 12 converted to pistol grip by removing the sporting stock and moving the FCG forward so a pistol grip can be installed. Some also install a folding stock.

So, they look pretty much alike, but don't command the same price, due to the limited number of the 12Cs that have been imported.

I just sent out the MO and FFL today for a 12c. $665 shipped, brand new. It was the last one the guy had, and he said that he had gotten 30 of the 100 imported. He had made quite a few into SBS's, so there might be less than 100 non NFA 12C's. Here is the pics he sent of the SBS's.

post-23-1105036122.jpg

Edited by 'clees

That is actually molded into the stock. It's a relief area for the rail on the side of the receiver, as the stock can lays flat agains the reciever. Notice how the second pic doesn't have the sight on the firearm.... that's because you can't have it on the firearm when the stock is closed.

Edited by RDSWriter
  • Chatbox

Load More
    You don't have permission to chat.