I finally got to check out a new Sig556 today. I didn't get to shoot it only handle the weapon but, it seemed like a nice rifle. Has anyone got one of these rifles or fired one? I wouldn't trade my 223 AK for it but it may be a nice addition to the collection :smoke:

My buddy just bought one and we slapped a Trijicon on it and went to the range and WOW! That sucker is an accurate,light kicking Mofo!! The SIGs are the only rifle's that turn my head away from Kalashnikovs anymore and they are essentially a Kalashnikov based weapon with many upgrades and improvements.

Notice the bolt and carrier?It's basically a Kalashnikov B&C cut at the trunnion junction and modified for a removable piston/oprod segment

550_bolt_and_carrier.jpg

550_boltcarrier_bottom.jpg

If they were available in 7.62x39 and 7.62x51 domestically my Saigas would become second echelon weapons.

Other than the lack of a chrome lined barrel I think there is no better weapon in the world than the SIG 55X series of rifles with my favorite(not available here) SIG/SAPR in 7.62x51 NATO being the pinnacle.

Edited by SOPMOD

I've got one in the gun safe, but I have not yet fired her. I sort of hate to get her dirty. However, I think she may accompany me on a trip down to Cobra's place, where we will try her out. Mine is the optics ready version without any hard sights. So, I've got to figure out what I want to do for optics. Any suggestions?

WJ

Can't wait to check her out WJ. That one at Jim's the other day got my mouth watering...

I've been reading about them in one of the new G&A mags and they sound pretty awesome..."more like an AK than an AR".

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/117_0308NS/

Been playing with my brothers while hes in Afghanistan, put around 1200 rounds through it now never had a problem. Very accurate, light, reliable, and in the future will have many after market parts.

Going to do a furniture swap with Magpul CTR, B&T 55X hardware and changing out the Iron's for Aurora Industries Iron sights.

I have one and it is pretty cool. I have only run about 120 rds through it though. I am going to get a chance to give it more of a work out this weekend though.

I have a C-More site mounted on mine. I plan on adding an ACE side folder soon.

DSC04488.jpg

Edited by Nwcid
If I ever run across one of the originals made by Swiss Arms for anything less than a small fortune, I'll grab it in a red hot second. While the Sigs (US made) are still nice, they're a distant second IMO...and yes, I've had hands on with both.

Uh,they are the same weapon basically and the people who make them here were brought from Switzerland to make them.

What's the difference besides the furniture and the ability to take M16 magazines(which is superior in my mind).

I am only asking because I have been a 55X fan for years but thought $5,000-$7,000 was a little pricey for a rifle that cost the equivalent of $1000USD in 1995 in a Swiss gun club store.

All of the actual functional parts are interchangeable with the Swiss parts(except mag release and bolt catch) and I'm fairly certain that some of the parts are imported from Switzerland since they are not going to ship millions of dollars worth of casting and forging equipment here to make parts for a rifle that will not likely sell more than a few thousand units.

Why is the 556 a "distant second"?

There were expensive retrofit kits to put an M4 stock on a 55x available in Switzerland as far back as Y2K and they thought they were doing the US market a favor by making it with an M4 stock from the getgo.

I have been seriously considering the 556 since handling one at the Hampton Gunshow. Basically, a Swiss-engineered version of the AK-47 operating system using M-16 magazines and a very good trigger right out of the box. What's not to like? I would have bought one if it weren't for the MSRP of around $1400.

• 2 weeks later...

Just traded my (6+1 fixed stock)SPAS 12 for a SIG 556.......

1. Does anyone know where to get a one piece "easy takedown" hinge pin for this 556?

My buddy told me that one (a pin) exists and wil lessen the use of a screw driver.

Answer

(edited: Aurora industries 55x piot pin)

http://auroraind.net/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=35

2. Question about sig plastic mags with coupler........

are they worthy?

3. eotech 512 works great for benelli M4 with slugs, how about the same for this 556?

Does the eotech still allow me to see through the flip up Samson front sight and rear?

Thanks.......from new 556 owner!

Edited by Benelli M4 SPAS12 user

Just shot my new SIG 556 today during the Mar 8th 08' winter storm, here in Ohio.

The damn tolerances are tight at 22 degrees and the rifle was wet with snow falling and jammed with PMC bronze .223 ammo.

It ate up the last 20 rounds of wolf .223 ammo last night in the dry cold for a solid show of rapid firing.

post-9755-1205017189_thumb.jpg

post-9755-1205017029_thumb.jpg

post-9755-1205017053_thumb.jpg

Today the rifle bolt was very slow to come foreward after each round was fired, thus jamming and misfiring.

I love this rifle, but I will stick to my Wasr-10 AK when "Schitt" hits the fan in the snow!

post-9755-1205017689_thumb.jpg

..............I love this piece,......

its junky, but its gonna make your day when it doesnt mess up due to cold weather or other issues.

• 2 weeks later...
Did you try changing your gas setting?

I have heard not to shoot the rifle on the 2nd slanted gas position, and that this was for an emergency only.

I was told to remedy the problem instead of using this 2nd gas setting.

I did not use the 2nd position and tried new mags and ammo.

The problem has somewhat gone away.

A detailed post is now in the Sig556Forum.com lounge Q&A.... titled (cold wet weather jamming)

the second position of the gas port really is only for when you've fouled the gun so badly that it starts clogging up. so if it's clean and you're getting jams from ammo that usually isn't a problem, you really shouldnt use the second setting. something else is amiss...