Get ready to Swipe ID for ammo

Just got back from Wally-world this morning. Figured as long as I was there to pickup some target ammo.....blah blah.

I was told by the guy there at the counter that since my total was over $100.00 he had to see my ID to verify my signature to my card....no big deal.

What I found interesting though was that he told me that soon (I think he said this year or next) that the Feds were going to have them "swipe" your ID for any ammo purchase over $100 -or- if you buy any pistol ammo.

He said that they would be required to ask if the ammo was for a "pistol" and if so = swipe the real ID.

I told him that if they forced me to swipe, they would lose my business. He said wal-mart would probably be out of the ammo business anyway really.

I was rather annoyed about it since Real ID is only supposed to show that you are indeed an American and the mere fact you have one, it proves it.

But to hear that you would have to swipe for ammo? WHAT? To "prove" that ID is me? That's the whole point of the damn thing!

No...its not to see if the ID is indeed legit. Its tracking purchases. Period. Call a spade a spade.

In other words....Its a poor man's Gun registration. Think about it~!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Granted not all states have Real ID.... Ohio unfortunately does. Regardless, I can see some issues for people on the horizon and thought to give the heads up.

So there you have it folks. Keep your ammo purchases under $100

And be sure the 9mm in the future will be for an AR or something. Make that .45 be for a Thompson "of course".

Pisses me off.

Edited by whatmanual

And thats my point...cash will not be a safe haven since they will now have a way to track the weapons you own.

Don't misunderstand. I agree with background checks for store purchased guns (which they are "supposed" to clear records of after the check is completed or 24 hours...or something like that).

But if you buy a private purchase of a .45 ....well now they know that too.

Just saying its not to simply verify your citizenship or if the ID is indeed real.

No, they want to KNOW about purchases of types and amounts of ammo for a reason.

All dots have a reason and lead to the next dot....

Could it be targeted confiscation during the next Katrina?

Could that be you get pulled over and it shows on the screen that you own a .45?

Ah well...to each their own with the info.

Edited by whatmanual

well here in il. they want to code the bullets that you buy. so in other words , you forget a casing at the range or someone steals your ammo from your house. well, (muder suspect number one) and you know how lazy cops are!!! SHIT MORE WORK ...... ROLLING OF EYES. welcome to end of days :ded:

Hello

I've thought and maintained for a few years that the only viable route to "Gun Control" in America is via "Ammo Control".

The point of "controlling" arms in this Country was passed decades ago. Gun-control fascists know that. Ammunition control, however, is an avenue wide open to them. Unfortunately, since we are (have been) blessed with the constant availability of any ammunition we desired, we have allowed ourselves to become very complacent.

Complacency is weakness, and these fascist bastards are always looking for that.

If there is any doubt how widespread the "ammo paranoia" has become, log-on to a popular reloading site, such as Midway, and see how much of a selection there is in reloading powder and primers. Virtually everything they stock is in a perpetual "backorder" state.

I guess that's good and bad. Bad, of course, that it's unavailable, good that it's unavailable because many people sense what is happening and are stocking up mega. That's about the only way to circumvent this shite.

I would guess "they" would be as reluctant to come to your front door and demand your ammo as they would be to demand your weapons.

I just don't imagine many would volunteer for that gig....

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

It's funny because anybody might think at first that one of is paranoid. But then they go and do something like this, where it is 100% obvious that it is back door gun registration. Bye privacy.

Hello, Twinsen

I don't believe the objective is registration. I believe the ultimate objective is effective disarmament. Ammo manufacturers will give up, ammo will become outrageously expensive and eventually unobtainable, and all of our Second Ammendment granted weapons will be neutralized.

I don't see a means to eliminate currently held ammo, though. Or, currently held reloading supplies, which have the potential to create multitudes more ammo than a simple stash...(wink...wink...) Although, I think a "ridiculous" stash ("enough is never enough") is a great place to start....

I hope to leave my sons with the legacy I have and treasure. Guns, ammo, and freedom!

guido2 in Houston

I remember reading over at shotgun world a article about making the shipping of ammo much more involved. They where trying to pass a law that would basically make getting ammo very hard and much more involved. It seem once again they are trying to target the ammo, since guns are basically useless if you don't have the ammo for them.

I'll try to find the topic.

Paranoia... always seems to be the "expert opinion" from those who are untrained in any sort of medical profession.

As for Alaska...way too cold lol. New Hampshire is open carry -even in court houses. Too bad there's not a lot of huge business up there that I know of.

Texas is very gun friendly too for the most part.

I moved to Ohio after living about 20+ years in Reno. A little bit of culture shock with gun laws (shooting places or transporting etc).

This was just one of those things that adds icing to the cake. Sad really.

Paranoia... always seems to be the "expert opinion" from those who are untrained in any sort of medical profession.

As for Alaska...way too cold lol. New Hampshire is open carry -even in court houses. Too bad there's not a lot of huge business up there that I know of.

Texas is very gun friendly too for the most part.

I moved to Ohio after living about 20+ years in Reno. A little bit of culture shock with gun laws (shooting places or transporting etc).

This was just one of those things that adds icing to the cake. Sad really.

Hello, whatmanual

Well, I'm no physician, but i would rather be mistakenly diagnosed as "paranoid" and ultimately prepared, than reserved to do what my "insecure psyche" tells me to do while I'm still able.

I think there is an objective to disarm us. may be misguided, but real nonetheless. And, need I mention, I live in Texas. I don't fear the hysteria starting here, but I do acknowledge it could spread here.

I've spent the last three years doing what I am able to "be prepared". In fact, I would not be a member on this list were that not an objective of mine.

I don't believe a touch of "paranoia" is such a bad thing, in the long run...

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

Guido, I agree with you. Microstamping is more obvious of a method to disarm through economics though. This is another aspect of ID swiping for ammo, but I find it to be more about registering. Either way, it's just a ploy to piss us off and try to disarm us.

We have a lot of gang activity in the town where I work so the pawn shop that supplys a lot of ammuntion has been ordered by the Chief of police to get the ID on who ever buys ammo. They are also doing it at our local War-Mart.

All .gov has to do is get something as simple as a primer labeled a DD without an amnesty period to turn in all primers and everyone is up shit creek without a paddle...

Talk about insta-felon... I'd have thousands of instances where I would be a felon... and that's just in a couple of ammo boxes!

Walmarts always asked if the ammo is for pistol or rifle,i believe because you have to be 21 to buy pistol ammo,it automaticly comes up on there screen as a reminder to ask.If its true about the swiping the ID,i dont think there set up for it (yet). Ill look into it as my wifes worked at Wally World for 19 years and is in lower management and were friends with the gal whos manager of sporting goods :wub: ...i have connections :blink::ph34r:

Edited by Pointer

One of the Walmart cashier gals and I have a long standard inside joke...

her: --> is it for handgun or long gun...?

me: --> No it's for my submachine gun

both: --> LOL

Everyone around us: --> :eek:

I don't even own a sub gun... you can't in WA State!

Edited by MD_Willington
Guido, I agree with you. Microstamping is more obvious of a method to disarm through economics though. This is another aspect of ID swiping for ammo, but I find it to be more about registering. Either way, it's just a ploy to piss us off and try to disarm us.

The GoverNazi signed into law the Microstamping law in Commiefornia. I lived there and that other liberal cesspool Michigan and Ohio has a lot more gun freedom than those two states.

This is probably a backdoor registration scheme and making ammo more expensive.

Walmarts always asked if the ammo is for pistol or rifle,i believe because you have to be 21 to buy pistol ammo,it automaticly comes up on there screen as a reminder to ask.If its true about the swiping the ID,i dont think there set up for it (yet). Ill look into it as my wifes worked at Wally World for 19 years and is in lower management and were friends with the gal whos manager of sporting goods :wub: ...i have connections :blink::ph34r:

Yes, and each store is different in how they handle it. difference usally comes from urban verus rural stores. If you bought a gun, some would even walk you to the front door and then hand you the gun on your way out. Of course now many have no real ammo to speak of and no guns.

Probably just some confusion about a "new" policy at the store level. New Manager maybe?