WASR-2 AK74 SLOPPY MAG WELL

Howdy, my bro picked up a WASR-2 5.45 gun. I realize (if I understand correctly) this otherwise great shooter (after a guide Polish) started life as a single-stack and was milled out. So here we are wondering what we can do to improve mag insertion. He says the mag has to be inserted very "carefully" in order to avoid going to deep and binding. I also noticed significant slop even after the mag is locked in... Although once the mag is installed the gun functions perfectly. What can I do to help him fix this this little beasts magwell?? Buildup something??? Spacer??? NEW RECEIVER? Anyone successfully resolve this? any suggestions greatly appreciated!!!!!!Thanks

Howdy, my bro picked up a WASR-2 5.45 gun. I realize (if I understand correctly) this otherwise great shooter (after a guide Polish) started life as a single-stack and was milled out. So here we are wondering what we can do to improve mag insertion. He says the mag has to be inserted very "carefully" in order to avoid going to deep and binding. I also noticed significant slop even after the mag is locked in... Although once the mag is installed the gun functions perfectly. What can I do to help him fix this this little beasts magwell?? Buildup something??? Spacer??? NEW RECEIVER? Anyone successfully resolve this? any suggestions greatly appreciated!!!!!!Thanks

A couple questions for you:

1. Are there two "dents" on either side of the receiver about where the top of the magazine rests inside the receiver? The purpose of those "dents" is to help stabilize the magazine.

2. Have you compared the inside of the magwell with other AKM's? If not, I suggest doing so, as you can compare and see what's "missing."

Bottom line for you is you'll probably need to come up with a way to add support and possibly a "stop" for the mag inside the receiver. Not a particularly hard thing to do. You can "bolt it in" using screws/nuts or get someone to weld it in or in the case of the "dents" above, you'll have to come up with some sort of jig and a shop press for the dents if they're missing.

Hope this helps,

Dave