WASR-2 AK74 SLOPPY MAG WELL

Howdy, my bro picked up a WASR-2 5.45 gun. I realize (if I understand correctly) this otherwise great shooter (after a guide Polish) started life as a single-stack and was milled out. So here we are wondering what we can do to improve mag insertion. He says the mag has to be inserted very "carefully" in order to avoid going to deep and binding. I also noticed significant slop even after the mag is locked in... Although once the mag is installed the gun functions perfectly. What can I do to help him fix this this little beasts magwell?? Buildup something??? Spacer??? NEW RECEIVER? Anyone successfully resolve this? any suggestions greatly appreciated!!!!!!Thanks

The WASR rifles are start life as single stack 10rd guns and then Century arms mills out the mag well. I have seen WASR 10 were the mag well was not milled enough so no mag fit, and milled too much. There are two possible fixes, first check the magazine catch, some times the Century folk grind too much off the catch. It easy if you can compare it to another AK. If the well is too wide you can try a Bulgarian 5.45 waffle mag. They are thicker than a regular mag and fit tight.

First off I do appreciate the responses Tactical=THANK YOU, the single stack thing explains the WHY. I'll get hands on it and compare the mag catch to one of mine, we are trying to stick to E.german mags but thank you for your recommendation ...........NALIOTH= I didn't pay for it at all, just trying to help him fix it because it is not as it should be " so simple a monkey can operate" like all our other AKs, Thanks .............MD WILLINGTON=Beautiful suggestion and my way a thinkin BUT I need a more solid resolution than electrical tape, Thank you though..........VINNY LAND=Thanks but alas I am unenlightened as to what a romy-G is and of course unless it is repair instructions for a wasr it can't help with the immediate problem but I do Thank you............TWINSEN= Thanks, Sorry to hear yours has eaten mags, were you able to resolve it??????.........I should have made him hold out and buy a polish or bulgarian. But the fact is he has a wasr, IT WORKS suggesting the parts are adequate together . I will not recommend to him that he pawn it off on some unsuspecting buyer or give it away to someone els to fix besides the mag catch, which I will check as soon as possible, any other suggestions???????? I am assuming the magwell has bean opened to much, Before we buy a ohio ord receiver and treat the gun as a parts kit does anyone else have salvage suggestion???????? Thanks again

The worst part of the Romanian WASR is the receiver. It's worse than the wood (which is the worst wood I've ever seen), and it's worse than the craftsmanship (which is the worst I've ever seen). The Romanian G rifle is an actual military parts kit AKM clone if you have one built. The WASR is made from shit parts that aren't mil spec and assembled usually very badly (again, the worst I've ever seen on any rifle). You'll find most of the stuff on the WASR won't fit other stamped AK's, because it's not the same. The G is a normal AKM though.

I tried to fix up the mag hole, but it's still bad. Magazines can wobble a bit when inserted, but it can still eat the shit out of a magazine if you insert it in a manner that isn't perfect. With mine you have to flip the gun over and treat it like a baby in order to get the magazine in, and then it's wobbly anyway. I plan on getting rid of mine, it's just not worth it. I want an AK, and I'd take any clone over this thing. I had no idea what a pathetic excuse for an AK this thing is, it's as far as you can possibly get from a real AK and still use similar parts. I stained the handguards, so at least it doesn't look as awful as it did out of the box.

First off I do appreciate the responses Tactical=THANK YOU, the single stack thing explains the WHY. I'll get hands on it and compare the mag catch to one of mine, we are trying to stick to E.german mags but thank you for your recommendation ...........NALIOTH= I didn't pay for it at all, just trying to help him fix it because it is not as it should be " so simple a monkey can operate" like all our other AKs, Thanks .............MD WILLINGTON=Beautiful suggestion and my way a thinkin BUT I need a more solid resolution than electrical tape, Thank you though..........VINNY LAND=Thanks but alas I am unenlightened as to what a romy-G is and of course unless it is repair instructions for a wasr it can't help with the immediate problem but I do Thank you............TWINSEN= Thanks, Sorry to hear yours has eaten mags, were you able to resolve it??????.........I should have made him hold out and buy a polish or bulgarian. But the fact is he has a wasr, IT WORKS suggesting the parts are adequate together . I will not recommend to him that he pawn it off on some unsuspecting buyer or give it away to someone els to fix besides the mag catch, which I will check as soon as possible, any other suggestions???????? I am assuming the magwell has bean opened to much, Before we buy a ohio ord receiver and treat the gun as a parts kit does anyone else have salvage suggestion???????? Thanks again
1) I'd make very sure you cut the original receiver up (with a cutting torch) before you start dissasembling it into parts. To do otherwise is a federal felony.

2) A WASR is a cheap Kalashnikov. If your friend wanted stable mags, he should have spent more money up front on something better. 2a) on the plus side, the fact that the WASR works fine is a real plus (a few of them don't work and have to take a trip back to Century).

If you put a magazine in the WASR, and one of you holds it up straight (present arms), can the other one of you pull the magazine out of the rifle?

If yes, you got problems.

If no, then you are fine and the mag wobble is a cosmetic issue.

Well I was able to but my hands on it last night and sure as the sun, it was the mag catch. Upside down next to my chinese it was obvious!!!! the receiver is actual cut just fine and with a brief parts exchange with my spare parts pile it is as it should be. Thanks guys we have it running....

) I'd make very sure you cut the original receiver up (with a cutting torch) before you start dissasembling it into parts. To do otherwise is a federal felony[/b]

Could you please post a link to this law, I am interested in reading the actual reg. Thanks for your time

Removing the serial number from a firearm is a federal felony.

The serial number on the WASR is on the barrel trunnion.

If you destroy the receiver before removing the trunnion, it's not a firearm at the time of serial number removal, is it?

I've got a similar problem with my S223. I'm using 5.45 mags with Robarms followers in them, (I bought dozens back when they were about $2 each), and although they work alright, if you're a little sloppy about inserting them the tab on the magazine will ride up along the side of the mag catch rather than clicking in place as it should. If the receiver had dimples this wouldn't be a problem, so I'm planning on epoxying a couple pieces of aluminum to the inside of the receiver to take up the slack that the dimples normally would.

I was also thinking of installing some plates inside to minimize any potential problems altho I think I have ours fixed already. I'm certainly no expert and I love epoxy for a lot of things but I wonder if it could stand up to mag changes let alone up to the battery of an ak????

You've all missed the simple answer....try different mags (look for wider mags). I have a WASR 10, and like a lot of them the mags fit sloppy. I found that the Bulgarian waffle mags are a bit wider than most and fit nice and snug, I'm sure if you look around there's going to be something better for the WASR-2. Large gun shows and a set of calipers are a good place to start (some vendors are crappy about letting you insert their new mags in your gun FWIW).

• 2 weeks later...
Howdy, my bro picked up a WASR-2 5.45 gun. I realize (if I understand correctly) this otherwise great shooter (after a guide Polish) started life as a single-stack and was milled out. So here we are wondering what we can do to improve mag insertion. He says the mag has to be inserted very "carefully" in order to avoid going to deep and binding. I also noticed significant slop even after the mag is locked in... Although once the mag is installed the gun functions perfectly. What can I do to help him fix this this little beasts magwell?? Buildup something??? Spacer??? NEW RECEIVER? Anyone successfully resolve this? any suggestions greatly appreciated!!!!!!Thanks

I just picked my Wasr 5.45up on Friday and it's a piece of shit! the wood looked like well not wood kinda PLOOD tm. Plastiic/Wood (PLOOD is TM of Mine and mine alone) Also the bitch is a single shot at this time. Now the Mag Well is a solid as a rock. no wobble at all. Now itf this Romanian shit can would fire and feed I would be happy. I will be buying a Tantel.

Picture020.jpg

here is the new furniture on it.

Edited by Jroberts1968