Remington 597 vs. Ruger 10/22

So Gander Mountain is running a big sale on guns and safes right now and I'm thinking about picking up my first .22LR. What are the pros and cons of the 10/22 and the 597? I'm leaning towards the 597 that comes with the scope from the factory. I have heard some stories about both guns being a little picky when it comes to the really cheap ammo. I have shot a 10/22 before and liked it but the 597 is cheaper and I don't have to fuss with picking out an optic. I havent shot rifles a lot and I would like to learn to shoot better and that takes lots of practice and ammo so I think the .22 is a good choice. So what do you guys think?

since remington fixed the magazine problem I understand it works well with the new metal mags. keepshooting.com has a 30rd for the 597. The 10/22 is a very solid gun. One big advantage is all the extra or add ons available for the 10/22 if someday you decide to modify it.

One thing about the factory optics, they are usually not all that great. You would be better served purchasing a decent scope seperate.

I personally use a Marlin 60SB with a 3-9 X32 scope. I have taken animals as large as bobcats and coyotes but prefer rabbits and squirrels with this rifle. I have several other 22lr's but they don't see anywhere near the use. I did not want to deal with the magazines so the tubular fixed mag seem to be the best option for me.

Edited by 6x6pinz

I can speak on the 597, it was the first gun I bought.

Good things about the 597: Has a better "feel" to it, like a fullsize gun, if you know what I mean. Really accurate straight out of the box, most will agree that a stock 597 will easily outshoot a stock 10/22. As far as ammo, mine (and many others that I've read on RimfireCentral) hated really cheap ammo, like Rem. Thunderbolts. I use CCI MiniMags now, and never had a malfunction since. It has the hi-cap mag now, as mentioned before. It's usually cheaper than 10/22's.

Now if you want to modify your .22 in anyway, definitely go with the 10/22. The aftermarket for them is crazy. The 597 is too new to even hold a candle to the 10/22 options out there.

I have been more than satisfied with my 597. Check out http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/ for tons of info on both guns.

I'm not really looking to mod it, my s-12 still needs some odds and ends so that will keep me busy. The 597 is same price with or without the factory optics right now at $249 and I don't have to pay shipping or a transfer fee. I like the idea of better out of the box accuracy at a lower price. I may have the 597 by end of the week if this still sounds like a good idea in a day or two.

I have not run the 597 so I can not speak to it. I am a 10/22 fan and if you look around you can find used ones in great shape. I just picked up another like new used one for $120 a couple weeks ago. With the price of ammo going crazy I have been buying more .22 stuff. The first gun I bought when I turned 18 was a 10/22 (the bottom rifle) and have put thousands of rounds through it. I keep picking up 10/22's as there are so many things you can do to them. I can make then look and feel just about like any semi auto out there and then shoot them for a fraction of the cost.

Here is a pic of 5 of my 6 10/22's

DSC04277.jpg

Yes the bottom one is a legal pistol with a legal Gemtech suppressor on it.

Top 2 still need some new clothes, just haven't got them put on yet.

Edited by Nwcid

i have 4 10/22's love them....all different configurations (ok....one is for my wife actually)....but that said i want to get a 597 as well.....just to have something else to try.

the rugers out of the box are not that finicky, but if you start to put new barrels and stuff in they can get picky about ammo....

my next 22 will either be a ruger Charger (the 10/22 pistol they introduced this year) or a marlin 981 bolt action.....

later

I want that 10/22 pistol!! :D

Well it is a one of a kind that is still in the build process. I am still working on the stock and have my first coat of Duracoat on the metal right now. When I am done I will put up my build pics. Same with the half finished underfolder, too many projects not enough time.

Where should I be looking if I want a used 10/22? I know about gunbroker.com and gunsamerica.com or are there better places to look? If I can get a used one for $150 that sounds like the best idea.

I keep an eye at local shops. The last one I bought is like new and it gave $120 for it. Sadly new ones are sneaking up over $200 :(

Unless you find a killer deal buying one online is not going to save you much money by the time you pay for shipping and transfer.

The 597 is a POC, and the 10/22 isn't worth the effort. Save yourself some $'s and get the savage HB with the accutrigger and the thumbhole stock with raised comb. The savage is better than the 10/22 will be even after the $500 of mods you're likely do dump on it. Don't throw good money after bad. You don't need an auto in a 22, so why spend more on one.

I was very disheartened to learn that remington bought marlin.

http://www.gunblast.com/Savage-MarkIIBV22.htm

or

http://www.gunblast.com/RAA-Biathlon.htm

are both much better choices IMO

Edited by buckandaquarterquarterstaff
The 597 is a POC, and the 10/22 isn't worth the effort.

I wouldn't go that far, but to each his own. No point in comparing autoloaders to bolts, but if he wants an autoloader, I think he has it narrowed down to 2 good choices.

Yeah, you're right about that. 22's are one of my "things" so I have some deep opinions about them, no offense... I know a few people with 597's and the 597 tends to have feed issues in combination with mediocre accuracy. The 10/22 can be made into a fine rifle and it is a reliable action, but you've got to spend to get it there. Personally, I think the straight pull bolt on the RAA biathlon basic is mighty cool and very very fast to use. I guess I just can't see the point of building up a 10/22 when you could build a tack driving AR for the same $'s, or add another converted saiga to the collection...

I wouldn't go that far, but to each his own. No point in comparing autoloaders to bolts, but if he wants an autoloader, I think he has it narrowed down to 2 good choices.

Yeah, you're right about that. 22's are one of my "things" so I have some deep opinions about them, no offense... I know a few people with 597's and the 597 tends to have feed issues in combination with mediocre accuracy. The 10/22 can be made into a fine rifle and it is a reliable action, but you've got to spend to get it there. Personally, I think the straight pull bolt on the RAA biathlon basic is mighty cool and very very fast to use. I guess I just can't see the point of building up a 10/22 when you could build a tack driving AR for the same $'s, or add another converted saiga to the collection...

No offense taken. About the 597's feed issues, I totally agree. But they are easily/cheaply fixed. Seeing as how you're into .22's, I assume you read http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/ , tons of info on all brands of .22's. In the Remington section, they have all the "fix-it" tips. Sure, it sucks to have to tinker with a brand new gun, but for the price, I think it's worth it. Most have great accuracy right of the box though.

I too can't get into the whole "build up my .22 for the price of a nice AR or AK" thing either. I know I would personally have a nice AR as opposed to a $1K 10/22.

No offense taken. About the 597's feed issues, I totally agree. But they are easily/cheaply fixed. Seeing as how you're into .22's, I assume you read http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/ , tons of info on all brands of .22's. In the Remington section, they have all the "fix-it" tips. Sure, it sucks to have to tinker with a brand new gun, but for the price, I think it's worth it. Most have great accuracy right of the box though.

I too can't get into the whole "build up my .22 for the price of a nice AR or AK" thing either. I know I would personally have a nice AR as opposed to a $1K 10/22.

Yeah I'm not looking to spend a ton of money modding the thing. I am looking for a cheap .22 to pratice my sight picture and trigger pull for rifle shooting. It doesnt need to be a tack driver but decent out of the box accuracy is a must so I can tell if I'm improving. I'm still pretty new to the Houston area so I will have to find more than the 2 gun shops I have been to find a good deal on a used .22 as one doesn't sell used guns and the other is Gander Mountain, a big retail store. At this point I would probably take either the 597 or 10/22 if I could find one in good condition for $150. Thanks for the info guys.

I use a gun a got as a kid (marlin model 60 with heavy barrel) for practice, and can often outshoot people with it.

after THAT gun, I have a 10/22.

I also practice from the hip with loading a single shot 22, that I do the full motions with, firing from the shoulder, in whatever position I am practicing from.....

the nice part about the 10/22 is the semi-auto thing, and plentifulness of SHORT mags. the only 22 Ive used in excess beyond that is a savage with an accutrigger in it, and only really shot the most expensive 22lr down that one....

the remington is a good gun, but the 10/22 has a ton of stuff you can do to it........

Alright, somebody spoke ill of the 10/22.

~I have modded it (replaced stuff), it is the lightest rifle I've ever held, and that was my intention.

~There are 10 round magazines that fit FLUSH with the bottom of the stock, these are the basic mags for the gun. They hold twice what other detachable mag .22 autos hold, and they dont stick out past the stock like other .22 auto mags do. I really dislike that other .22's, such as the bolts, have such badly designed magazines that stick out the bottom of the gun, yet hold very few rounds, and have god-frikkin-awful magazine releases that you cannot operate without moving your shooting hand.

~You can get them for $150, try a local gun shop. I've never been to my Cabela's without seeing somebody in the process of buying a 10/22. Quite literally, every time I've been there, for the entire time I was there, there was somebody filling out paperwork for one. I'd say every gun store I've been to in the past 2 years (because that's as far back as I can remember specific crap like this) has had at least 2 in stock, and most have them used. I saw one at Cabela's a couple months ago that was for $108/9.

~If you ever have a problem with it, ANYTHING AT ALL, there are going to be 20 people in your face ready to answer you question correctly over at www.rimfirecentral.com. Even in assembling one with non-standard upgrade parts, multiple will be able to help you, and you can learn a full detail strip of the gun the first day you get it. There is nothing you cannot modify on that gun with simple tools. I don't mean it in a snooty manner at all, ANYBODY can work on that gun. A little girl with a screwdriver set and an allen wrench set can replace any part on it.

~Best .22 auto, ever. I didn't know it until I bought one, I just assumed it was cheap enough that anybody bought one because of price. They buy them because they work.

~The standard sights are pretty awful, I admit that much. Post and V.

• 3 months later...

I have 3 10/22s and 1 597.

597 is a much better shooter out of the box: kind of surprised me how accurate such a cheap auto-loader is. Factory mags (metal ones) work good and can be found at any Walmart or sporting goods stores. Good scope mounts are also easy to find. 597 action is also easier to clean than the 10/22. The 597 has a much more solid feel than the 10/22. This is one hell of a good squirrel gun, but lacks the aftermarket part selection to make it a "uber-tacticool" .22 sniper.

The 10/22 is the king of aftermarket parts. They probably sell rearview mirrors and CD players for the 10/22. I see alot of the folks with the rainbow laminate thumbhole stocks and shiney fluted heavey barrels or the Tacticools with all the cheap plastic doodads attached and just dont get it I guess. With a sh*!load of cash, you can make the 10/22 a great target gun - I just dont invest a lot of money into 10/22s. mine shoot fine and the kids have fun.

....but lacks the aftermarket part selection

That's my only complaint about 597's. But then again, look how long 10/22's have been around, compared to 597's. I figure I'll keep the 597, and hopefully a couple years down the road, they'll come out with some cool parts for it. At least they have 30 rounders for them now. Actually, I can't get rid of it anyway.....it was the first gun I ever bought :D .