will be excellent opportunity to push the k-phos and see after

prolong use it will hold or not.

This two look grey as the color of k-phos waiting for the

camo to be done tomorrow.

img1226ma4.jpg

Yes k-phos is easy to do, just a compressor and air brush plus a respirator

unless you like to bread phosphoric acid ( not to good on the lungs unless

you are not human).

Could you post a link to the k-phos info? I was wanting to park my Saiga, but if this is easier, I'll do this!

Brother here is your link, for the k-phos, I got quarts.

https://www.kgcoatings.com/mm5/merchant.mvc...egory_Code=gkpt

http://www.kgcoatings.com/firearms_home.html

If you do it, put it light with a air brush, don't re-coat like crazy, nice light coat and you ready to paint over it.

the max time I have left it before paint over is one day. All depends on humidity were you live, here in

Florida flash rust will show real quick, humidity is your enemy after even blast if you don't phos or k-phos

flash rust will show like instantly on parts.

Edited by vjor
If you do it, put it light with a air brush, don't re-coat like crazy, nice light coat and you ready to paint over it.

the max time I have left it before paint over is one day. All depends on humidity were you live, here in

Florida flash rust will show real quick, humidity is your enemy after even blast if you don't phos or k-phos

Suppose you didn't want to paint over it? Could it be oiled up and used as is, per normal parkerizing?

Suppose you didn't want to paint over it? Could it be oiled up and used as is, per normal parkerizing?

No brother, it is made as a bonding agent for gunkote, not a true stand alone phosphate finish

I ask the guys at KG my self and they say nope, they recommend a fully phos finish for that

purposed.

Man I am taking a smoke brake between coats of paint, let me say something, nothing like and air brush

to control the thickness of the paint were you want it. Even the cheapo harbor freight let you do it

if you know how to use an air brush and mix your paint to work on it.

Edited by vjor
Vjor.......where'd ya get that gas block? And thanks for posting the K-Phos thread, I know you've got mad home parkerizing skills, so it's going to be nice to get your opinion on how this stacks up for something that your going to top coat anyway.

Brother on the gas block, I call Chris butler at AK-USA and well he was cleaning the shop

and told me he found one more and that if I wanted the GBFS, well as soon as he say

it I say send it to papa.

On the K-phos, well I have use it before, one thing I have seen is that

dont soak paint as hard as regular phos, kind of soft on the bonding

not as hard core as regular phos, but cant complain this stuff dont take

half the work of regular phos, but still have to see if the bonding will hold

on really prolong use of the gun or the stuff will peel off.

More info after the shoot out, well if it dont take it, I guess blast again the finish

and redo it on regular phos and duracoat or go cerakote, my wife think I am nuts

because the guns came out tits with the camos and she says waste of labor and

good finish if the k-phos dont work as promese.

Looks good! Good work! I just got a new tank myself!

Thanks man, well ion few regular phos is work, but is a lot you can do with it.

Hey brother about tanks, I have a steel one, but I may change into

fiver glass and ceramic heathers, a lot cheaper and no flames around.

If you see any fiver glass tanks let me know, the only ones

I have seen and use are from brownells and not cheap and heathers

from caswell inc.

Looks good Vjor. I am much more familiar with the manganese phosphate parkerization. How do you compare the two? Is color the only difference?

Manganese Phos is more rough texture than zinc Phos and manganese the grey color is darker, but

I have done some manganese phos that is just like zinc phos, you cant tell the difference.

Now K-phos, well is OK not like regular phos, I was playing this Sunday with some stuff

and zinc phos couple of pieces of carbon steel and K-phos couple more

and let both sit for like half hour to let the k-phos cure, well I blasted the pieces

and the k-phos came out real easy, No it don't do macroscopic pitting as hard as regular phos

meaning is light on the metal, I will say I will still use it the k-phos but cant compare to

regular phos, but one thing I will say, still a better bonding agent that just paint over

metal with out a bonding agent. And I will say it is OK for the regular home owner

stuff that goes to the range and some hunting, now if you going hard core

survival in a jungle, or desert or some were really rough, no is not for you

is not a bonding that will really keep duracote or gunkote stick to the metal

in and abusive environment were the gun is going to be handle really rough.

But If I was a home owner builder that built few guns and go shooting here and there

no crazy stuff ( jungle Jim ) I will use it for bonding agent and be happy.

One thing you have to apply k-phos light with air brush, just a coat on the light side

people get thinking of this stuff as a paint and is not, is acidic stuff to make a

really light bonding for paint. That means a little quart or pint goes a long way

for about 20 bucks you can do a ton of stuff.

One thing I will say, is not final word on this stuff, I still looking into

the duracote fully cure, well I have to see if after complete cure

on the bonding and if a piece peels off or scratch on the finish

do the bonding will hold and dont let the rest peel or scratch more

like you see when you dont use a bonding and one scratch becomes

the end of the finish because it will peel of the metal starting

from a little scratch.

Edited by vjor

Well here again with this stuff, well yesterday tested the guns at the Saiga shoot out.

Ok let see , first the .223 have to spats were the paint came off, one was small spat on the side

of the receiver cover, the other one was small spat on the ACE skeleton stock, today I check

the gun overall was ok.

Second the 7.62x39 was OK, one small bubble area on bottom of barrel. But that was the result of continuous firing

about I think 500 to 600 rounds of ammo true it. Well is kind of my fault as I don't let the duracote fully

cure for about 2 weeks before the shoot out.

OK lets see, on the 7.62x39 the plastic part on the ACe skeleton stock was blasted to make it

rough fro the duracote to stick to it, no problems what so ever on that stock, on the other hand

I left the ACE skeleton stock untouched on the .223 just degrease and duracote over it, looks

like the plastic part on the ACE don't take any paint well if not rough up wit the blaster

the plastic part looks like acetal or something similar. Lessont to be learn, blast the plastic part

before you use duracote.

Now on the receiver cover on the .223, well to tell the truth can be 2 things, the .223 was blast

with fine media and the 7.62x39 was blast with rough media, making the metal rough on the

7.62x39 letting the k-phos do its work a lot better, the second reason can be that I may

miss a spot on the cover and is all my fault, or like my wife says that I did it purposelly

to re blast the gun and do it on cerakote, because she says that I have done a lot of stuff

and I dont usually fubar stuff like that unless I want stuff to happen. Well I plea no contest to it.

OK in few after the shoot out, about at list 400 rounds true each gun some times rapid fire

like few mags plus makc did I think a 75 round drum or two true the 7.62x39 the k-phos

holds ok, I inspected the two guns this morning and the rest of the paint job

was ok, the part were it came off on the receiver cover stop right on the spot, like a dime size

and don't peal any more, I try this morning to rub it and see if the paint will peel on continue

peeling and it dont do it at all, even try some solvent on it and see if the pain

will take off and it don't, well to make things short I clean the guns with hopes number 9

the paint killer, it took it like nothing at all, even poor some hopes9 on the spot were the paint

came off and nothing happen, I guess I have to be more careful as I do finishes on my guns.

OK things to think about, K-phos likes rough Blasting, blast the plastic part on the Ace skeleton stock

to let duracote stick better to it, let the stuff cure about 2 weeks after cook in oven

like manufacture says before taking the gun to Florida shoot out and putting about 400 rounds true it

or taking it any were and shooting the crap out of it.

In few I like the stuff, but nothing like regular zinc phosphate.

By the way on the plastic on the guns one hand guard and pistol grip

was blasted before duracote and one grip and hand guard was not,

both grips and hand guard are ok the duracote still solid and there

no problemos.

On the blasted parts, they feel good to the hand, the feeling of better grip on it

I mean the pistol grip and hand guard feel like a better grip cause of grainy

surface after the blasting on the plastic parts. But thats is me.