Safe to shoot 5.56?

That's what it's designed for.

new member...first post....

why does the factory website appear to show two different versions...one rifle for 223 and one for 5.56?

lost in translation?

i have a new rifle on order and want to make sure I'm using the right ammo as well...

i know the cart. are the same size but one is a bit more abusive correct?

http://www.izhmash.ru/eng/product/saiga.shtml

Edited by cne
That's what it's designed for.

new member...first post....

why does the factory website appear to show two different versions...one rifle for 223 and one for 5.56?

lost in translation?

i have a new rifle on order and want to make sure I'm using the right ammo as well...

i know the cart. are the same size but one is a bit more abusive correct?

http://www.izhmash.ru/eng/product/saiga.shtml

You won't be ordering from Izhmash. Your Saigas will be imported by these folks: http://www.raacfirearms.com/ and sold through their distributers.

There is a very slight difference in .223 Remington and 5.56x45 Nato. Izmash will make Saigas to the customers request.

Edited by nalioth
Saigas come in .223 and 5.6 X 39.

so i have a .223 on order...i need to stick to .223 ammo and avoid the 5.6 then

correct?

thanks for the responses

To my knowledge, 5.6x39 ammo does not exist in the USA unless you reload and make it yourself.

Saigas come in .223 and 5.6 X 39.

so i have a .223 on order...i need to stick to .223 ammo and avoid the 5.6 then

correct?

thanks for the responses

To my knowledge, 5.6x39 ammo does not exist in the USA unless you reload and make it yourself.

good deal...so i assume US distributors for the most part don't even carry the other version

I wouldn't say that 5.56 isn't in the USA. Many of us buy suprlus ammo in 5.56 all the time for various reasons. I wish we could get a straight answer on the safety issue.

I know that in an AR-15 you can use .223 in a 5.56 chambered rifle, but not the other way around. That's why most people want their AR-15 chambered in 5.56. It seems nobody can answer the same question about the Saiga. I had no idea Saiga made both chamberings, but if it's like the AR-15 then I'd want the 5.56 chambering so I could use both.

Another safety issue people talk about is wether you can use .308win in a Saiga. I've always heard yes but the above posts make me question that if they are making different chamberings. The problems I know about arise when someone uses .308win in a rifle chambered for 7.62X51nato - when the chamber is fluted. The fluted chamber doesn't support the cartridge case all the way around so it sometimes expands too much and breaks. One example of this is the CETME and G3 type rifles. The Saiga doesn't have a fluted chamber so...?

I wouldn't say that 5.56 isn't in the USA. Many of us buy suprlus ammo in 5.56 all the time for various reasons. I wish we could get a straight answer on the safety issue.

I know that in an AR-15 you can use .223 in a 5.56 chambered rifle, but not the other way around. That's why most people want their AR-15 chambered in 5.56. It seems nobody can answer the same question about the Saiga. I had no idea Saiga made both chamberings, but if it's like the AR-15 then I'd want the 5.56 chambering so I could use both.

Another safety issue people talk about is wether you can use .308win in a Saiga. I've always heard yes but the above posts make me question that if they are making different chamberings. The problems I know about arise when someone uses .308win in a rifle chambered for 7.62X51nato - when the chamber is fluted. The fluted chamber doesn't support the cartridge case all the way around so it sometimes expands too much and breaks. One example of this is the CETME and G3 type rifles. The Saiga doesn't have a fluted chamber so...?

hmmm....maybe i should have gotten the 7.62....oh well....

as long as 223 ammo is plentiful and decently enough priced, i will still be happy with my selection....

cne,

Are you confusing 5.56x45 with 5.6x39?

The saiga in .223 will shoot 5.56x45.

just noticed the difference in the models...39 vs. 45

Thanks!

i'm just trying to take in as much as i can on here before this new rifle arrives :-P

this is my first semi-automatic rifle...got several bolts and several pistols as well.

They use 5.6x39 in Russia and other places they can't have military ammo. 5.6x39 isn't 5.56x45 (.223 Remington)

They use 5.6x39 in Russia and other places they can't have military ammo. 5.6x39 isn't 5.56x45 (.223 Remington)

yeah according to wiki...there is two versions of 5.56 X 45

one with much higher pressure...

so i guess the question is can the saiga handle a ALL versions of 5.56 X 45?

yeah according to wiki...there is two versions of 5.56 X 45

one with much higher pressure...

so i guess the question is can the saiga handle a ALL versions of 5.56 X 45?

They're called 5.56 Nato and .223 Remington. They can both be used safely in a Saiga.

• 2 years later...