Hi all. I just got a 16.3" Saiga .308 a few days ago, and I have been reading many threads and learning a lot. I think I have answered this question for myself, but I thought that this new forum would be a good place to post this question for others to have an easy way to find the answer that it took me a few days to figure out (ok, maybe I am slow :P ). I also want to double check that I understand it correctly.

It is my understanding that the 922r conversion allows you to modify a Saiga with a pistol grip and hi cap mags. Is this the sole reason? Can I do other modifications, like furniture and buttstock without making it 922r compliant?

You can alter the existing furniture, like adding cooling slots in the forearm, or customizing the buttstock like I've seen pics of from the SHOT show. I have even shortened a factory stock for a friend to fit his size better.

You can do a little polishing on the FCG but you can't do much for it on the .308 because that particular one is a total abomination with the way it sweeps upward as you pull it back. You can add a tactical release to the mag catch to make dropping mags easier. You will be able to add a LRBHO before too long and that shouldn't mess with 922r compliance.

Main reason though, to answer the question in the title of this thread....

It puts the rifle back in it's intended, designed configuration. It gives it back the balance that was taken away by neutering it for import into the US and otherwise made available to people who can't have or don't want pistol grips.

Aside from making the weapon handle MUCH better, you gain the bonus of using higher capacity mags. You also get to use a real AK trigger that is WAY better than that strange creature they have put into the S-.308 (and the other spongy FCGs with linkages in the other Saigas) like the Norinco Hunter has.

And it looks better :devil:

• 2 weeks later...
You can alter the existing furniture, like adding cooling slots in the forearm, or customizing the buttstock like I've seen pics of from the SHOT show. I have even shortened a factory stock for a friend to fit his size better.

You can do a little polishing on the FCG but you can't do much for it on the .308 because that particular one is a total abomination with the way it sweeps upward as you pull it back. You can add a tactical release to the mag catch to make dropping mags easier. You will be able to add a LRBHO before too long and that shouldn't mess with 922r compliance.

Main reason though, to answer the question in the title of this thread....

It puts the rifle back in it's intended, designed configuration. It gives it back the balance that was taken away by neutering it for import into the US and otherwise made available to people who can't have or don't want pistol grips.

Aside from making the weapon handle MUCH better, you gain the bonus of using higher capacity mags. You also get to use a real AK trigger that is WAY better than that strange creature they have put into the S-.308 (and the other spongy FCGs with linkages in the other Saigas) like the Norinco Hunter has.

And it looks better :devil:

You also get to learn about your rifle better when you convert it. If you use Century parts make sure you look up the trigger slap cure by grinding down the disconnector tail. The rifle is more fun to shoot in its intended configuration and you get the pride of doing it yourself.

Here's my take on it. The saiga is an AK in disguise. There are a lot of people in this country who are really ignorant and dislike the AK rifles. The guys over at Izhmash do a pretty good job of dealing with this problem. They take the bad ass AK's and disguise them as FUD GUNS. The only thing left for you to do as the proud new owner of the gun is to take the disguise off. Believe me, the gun is not happy being dressed up like that. Take that Saiga shit off and put it back to how it was supposed to be. It will look and operate much better when it's all said and done.

Edited by taurussvt

As Cobra pointed out, the biggest benefits (in my opinion) are:

1) Improved trigger. You eliminate the yoke/transfer bar and get a smooth, light trigger pull.

2) Better ergonomics. The AK configuration is just more comfortable for me to shoot than the sporterized version.

3) Legal use of standard capacity magazines.

The side benefit is knowing your rifle inside and out (literally) and the additional confidence you gain from the work.

Jim