Hello

I have been here for about 6 weeks reading & enjoying the website.

I am wondering why everyone converts their rifles? Was the reason people wanted to convert their rifles was so the Saigas could use regular 30 round magazines?

It seems to me that there is no real reason to convert the rifle now. 30 round magazines are available but expensive.

Now if I install a new Tapco trigger. Does the Tapco work any better than the orginal?

Hello

I have been here for about 6 weeks reading & enjoying the website.

I am wondering why everyone converts their rifles? Was the reason people wanted to convert their rifles was so the Saigas could use regular 30 round magazines?

It seems to me that there is no real reason to convert the rifle now. 30 round magazines are available but expensive.

Now if I install a new Tapco trigger. Does the Tapco work any better than the orginal?

It was my understanding that to use any mag with a higher capacity than it was shipped with put me in violation of 922r, so I did the conversion. I may be wrong, tho

Bill

The G2 trigger group most people use in their conversions is FAAARRRRR better than the POS FCG the Saiga comes with.

Why convert?

Cobra answered that very question in a recent thread, check it out. I think he summed it up nicely.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=204547

All those reasons, and "because I can". :D I mean, you gained compliance without a "real" conversion, but a lot of people want that "real" AK look. You miss a little of that with the route you went (absolutely no offense intended, your rifle looks great).

Edited by 22_Shooter

Some people convert because it's fun to pimp your gun. Roll your eyes and call it "tacticool" if you will, but lots of us like it!

Other people convert sporterized guns to be more suitable for home defense, law enforcement, or to be race guns.

Finally, if you don't pull off that conversion before the next assault weapons ban comes through you may not be able to convert at all!

Hello

Well I am all for making it better or "MEAN & NASTY" as my wife says about my two rifles.

I do want to upgrade the trigger & add a flash suppressor.

Well, there's not much you can do to improve your trigger until you relocate it and eliminate the Rube Goldberg transfer bar system.

The availability of all US-made magazines makes the 922R compliance issue much easier in an uncoverted rifle. With the Surefire or MasterMolder mags, you only need to swap out one other part to be compliant. The use of a bullet guide has been debated - lots of people have reported problem-free feeding with the MasterMolder mags without the guide.

Personally, I find the AK configuration more functional and comfortable than the sporter version.

Jim

Hello

Well I am all for making it better or "MEAN & NASTY" as my wife says about my two rifles.

Well, there's not much you can do to improve your trigger until you relocate it and eliminate the Rube Goldberg transfer bar system.

The availability of all US-made magazines makes the 922R compliance issue much easier in an uncoverted rifle. With the Surefire or MasterMolder mags, you only need to swap out one other part to be compliant. The use of a bullet guide has been debated - lots of people have reported problem-free feeding with the MasterMolder mags without the guide.

Personally, I find the AK configuration more functional and comfortable than the sporter version.

Jim

You can get a G2 for an unconverted Saiga from Dinzag http://www.dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/fcgnpg.html .

You can get a G2 for an unconverted Saiga from Dinzag http://www.dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/fcgnpg.html .

Dinzag's kit only replaces the hammer and disconnector. It retains the factory trigger and the wishbone linkage. Until you get rid of that set up, you're going to have an ugly trigger pull.

Dinzag's kit only replaces the hammer and disconnector. It retains the factory trigger and the wishbone linkage. Until you get rid of that set up, you're going to have an ugly trigger pull.

Just read the description, I guess you're right. I would guess it would improve the pull a little bit at least, with the polishing and whatnot Dinzag does to it.

If you're going to drop a new trigger group in, you might as well relocate the FCG and replace all 3 compliance parts. Moving the FCG forward to its proper place does not necessarily mean having to install a pistol grip---there are sporter/CA compliant options and you will still have a much better trigger.

Moving the FCG forward to its proper place does not necessarily mean having to install a pistol grip

Without a PG, the trigger will be too far forward for a "sporter" stock, it would make shooting pretty damn uncomfortable, IMO. The only way to move the FCG forward without a PG, that I can think of, would be some kind of thumbhole stock.

Moving the FCG forward to its proper place does not necessarily mean having to install a pistol grip

Without a PG, the trigger will be too far forward for a "sporter" stock, it would make shooting pretty damn uncomfortable, IMO. The only way to move the FCG forward without a PG, that I can think of, would be some kind of thumbhole stock.

There are Kalifornicated things that will work in place of a pistol grip. Nobody in their right mind would use one, but if you were stuck in CA and had to choose between a cruddy stock trigger vs. a decent trigger, I'd consider it.

There are Kalifornicated things that will work in place of a pistol grip. Nobody in their right mind would use one, but if you were stuck in CA and had to choose between a cruddy stock trigger vs. a decent trigger, I'd consider it.

Ah, gotcha. I'm not up on Cali's hoops you have to jump through. But I have seen those weird ass looking "pistol grip" things, that allows Cali residents to have other evil features :ded: . I know I have it bad living in NY, as far as gun laws, but I think Cali tops them all.

Jim

After trying to get a good grip on my unconverted rifle, I think I have to convert it. The angle that my hand takes on that factory buttstock is only going to hurt more if I don't convert it, or get my wrist checked for RSI. I can get less strain on a pistol-gripped rifle, so mine is getting converted as soon as practical.

• 3 weeks later...