To be... or not to be... tactical?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Is a GREEN LASER tactical?

• YES!! It is a needed tactical accessory!
    • No, lasers are not tactical!
    • Tacticool only.
    • Red, not green, for me, please!

I just bought a green laser from a guy in Hong Kong from Ebay... OH MY GOD!!! Talk about COOLNESS!!!

It has a nice mounting system, and the coil wire with pressure switch! I would LOVE to mount it to a rifle, as you REALLY CAN see the dot during bright daylight at decent ranges... even out to over 100 yards against a white backdrop!!

I got to thinking, though after playing with one for a bit that first day, as day turned into night... that it looked like a bright, neon green spiderweb protruding from the end of the laser out into the darkness... It was like an amazing little lightsaber... only super long, and ultra thin... Then I pondered...

WHY WOULD ANYONE want to have a device that is going to let "the enemy" know EXACTLY their position?!?!?

That is why I was thinking... how can a GREEN laser be tactical, if it is going to instantly alert EVERYONE That can see exactly where the shooter is, and is shooting from... Seems to me that is the exact opposite of wht "tactical" should be... A red laser doesnt project the same line, unless there is a great deal of dust or smoke in the air, and obviously, under some circumstances, you cant use a red laser anyways...

TactiCOOL for sure... and I actually bought a second one just a little while ago, as my friend liked that one so much, he HAD to have it... so I sold it to him...

I was just curious as to your thoughts on this. Nothing crazy, it was just something that made me stop and think for a moment...

:smoke:

If you think a good flashlight is good for glare blinding an opponent, you should see what a green beam does.

NO! DO NOT GO LOOK INTO YOURS!!!!

That said, a green beam is not a good idea for a multiple opponent engagement exactly for the reason you specified, it really shows where you are. But, it's great for the home defense type scenario where you are facing one opponent and they likely know exactly where you are. It's a great snap aiming device and it cooks retinas like a microwave.

Don't use it like a flood light though. Laser on when your weapon is coming on target, take the shot if your opponent doesn't immediately disarm/ fill pants with poo, laser off.

Tactical..... Wrong word IMO.....

Tactical to me means unseen.

Laser are great as a tool to let someone know you have them "Dead to Rights".

Defusing a confrontation even before it begins.

People are allot less frogie with a shiny dot on their face....

It definitely has a place as a functional tool for the reason I stated...

and they are just plain cool....

Against a number of armed foes....

they compromise your position...

Cats LOVE them!!!

My friend got one,and it is very cool. You could call in an air strike with that thing.

You would definately be an easy target after the first shot. What about night hunts for coyotes? Can they see the green? I just watched a Texas Predator video,and they used red. Pretty cool,but green would be wicked!

I don't know about green at night but I do know about red at night. Unless you are in total darkness your opponent will be tipped off to your position by noise, movement and so on as much as by a laser beam. If you are in total darkness, you need to get the h*ll out of there anyway for obvious reasons. A laser can be very helpful if you are down and need to fire without being able to establish the sight plane for your eyes; point and click. It is not a good tool in all situations but definately provides you with options when another option may save your life. Most lasers, i.e. Crimson Trace, have a switch that allows you to turn it off/on. Your choice of when to use or not but it is a nice option to have available. If the room is dark you are probably going to use a flashlight to identify your target (so you don't shoot your wife/kid) and they know where you are. If there is an ambient light level that allows you to see your opponent, they have already seen you. Judicious use of cover/concealment and options will keep you alive. Just MHO.

Edited by 1911

I voted tatical, but I HATE that description. It is meaningless as far as I can see. But a green laser is a practical tool for many uses. It should be used with the knowlege that it may be a bright green arrow pointing to YOU.

This fact may work to you'r advantage, or lead to you'r early demise. I highly recommend a pressure switch .

I Voted Not Tactical, because to me, that means you have some target in you crosshairs, on your scope, and you (the shooter) are concealed

I guess there is the SWAT team jumping out the back of an unmarked van though, and by definition they are tactical.

if they all had lasers, it would be on, green dot on target, pull the trigger, next target, pull the trigger,.. It would allow for a nifty n clean up.

I am getting one, a green one, my red one can only be seen at dusk/night, or medium to low light settings.

only problem with them is battery life and :dollar: :dollar: :dollar: :dollar:

I would have to say it's fun not having to aim, and it really allows you to know your gun, where the rounds fall for all kind of "not at the range" shooting positions, it also builds confidence this way, my groupings are much better after I learned to quickly re-target the laser while using the sites, it helped me learn how to site faster and more accuratly and after a while,. with the laser turned off too.

I voted tatical, but I HATE that description. It is meaningless as far as I can see. But a green laser is a practical tool for many uses. It should be used with the knowlege that it may be a bright green arrow pointing to YOU.

This fact may work to you'r advantage, or lead to you'r early demise. I highly recommend a pressure switch .

Tactical..... Wrong word IMO.....

Tactical to me means unseen.

Laser are great as a tool to let someone know you have them "Dead to Rights".

Defusing a confrontation even before it begins.

People are allot less frogie with a shiny dot on their face....

It definitely has a place as a functional tool for the reason I stated...

and they are just plain cool....

Against a number of armed foes....

they compromise your position...

Cats LOVE them!!!

So do boxers!

Even more than cats.

I voted red for me, the green one gives away your position. In a gunfight unless your one of those "stand and deliver" types, you'll be firing from cover. It's alot easier to get rounds on target downrange with a laser, you can't expect to be able to have a "proper" stance.

We all know that most gunfights happen in low light, at close range, and everybody is shucking and jiving trying not to get shot. A laser is another tool to use (like a tactical light) to help give you the edge.

Not tactical by anyone's definition.

I wouldn't have a laser on a rifle, personally. But if you're gonna have a laser it might as well be a green one.

I agree with the "Tooth" in that a laser on a rifle makes no sense. I was under the impression we were talking handguns. However, I should have known better since we are on a shotgun board. My bad.

Trucks, shotguns, pistols,rifles, whatever. If you gotta aim that mother QUICK it would be helpfull.

i may put one on my pecker so I can aim in the middle of the night without turning on the bathroom light.

Cats LOVE them!!!

I second that...When I shine that laser dot on the floor, the cat goes NUTS chasing it. She won't pay attention to ANYTHING else..even food. I had her chasing it in circles in the kitchen so fast her feet were squeaking on the floor, then she couldn't walk straight when I quit circling it and ran it in a straight line. Hilarious! After I stop, she'll spend 10 or 15 minutes looking for the light, especially if I run it around a corner or under furniture before I shut it off. You have GOT to try this! It's a scream!

No worth the money you pay for it, but that's me.

tactical is were you have advantage over your opponent

because you are a good tactician on the field. No because

you light a green laser and the guy send back few slugs

to shot it down. But I guess is nice to sticks useless toys on guns.

But each its own.

Edited by vjor
I was just curious as to your thoughts on this. Nothing crazy, it was just something that made me stop and think for a moment...

:smoke:

Green is the most visible color to the human eye, so it would seem the last light you want ON or near you. Also aim small shoot small. So a person may aim at the tiny green dot but in reality there is a full sized person behind it.

Might be good for running shots while critter hunting but not my thing even for that.

On a dark, moonless night in the most rural of wooded areas, you would be amazed how visible even the smallest dot of light is. Remember that three on a match phrase form WWI? Shit, how did it go? Anyway, evern a match would get you killed.

Edited by Zoub

Lasers are not intended to be employed in an "always on" condition. If you are worried about it giving away your position, you are using it wrong.

Lasers have multiple uses on a combat firearm, however the most prevalent is speed of target selection under low light conditions during close in engagement. Multiple targets can be serviced much more rapidly then any other system.

Night sights are a viable alternative for this usage, but keep in mind that with a shoulder mounted weapon that you are utilizing with a good cheek-weld will block quite a bit of your view during a room entry. A more "heads-up" weapons mount may be effectively employed with a laser, maximizing your unobstructed field of vision. Things happen very quickly and at odd angles inside structures.

Don't like lasers, don't use one. But there are many valid reasons that they are employed by many. I would not stick anything on my firearm or in my kit that I did not use.

the argument i have heard from Personal Defense TV hosts was that the laser is great if you can't get in a position to line up your sights effectively, or if you really want the bad guy breaking into your house to know that he is fucking dead if he makes another move......

that red/green dot in the middle of your chest makes you stop and ponder what really matters.

that said, i have a laser on my Walther P22.....not exactly home defense, but quite fun.

have considered getting one for my XD45....laser guided ashtrays!....woohoo!

Edited by RangerM9