The "best" AK

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Saiga weapons that I currently have are a S-12 I restored myself and a SGL21, (7.62x39 Legion rifle). I'd trust my life to either. I don't think I'd have any trouble differentiating between the

I disagree with the factual accuracy of your post.

I'll dispute it.   *Nicer Finish - Bluing is not better than park and paint. *Thicker receiver - This is arguable, but I take the opposite position. I want my rifle to be as light as possible, and

Posted Images

RobArms Vepr in any caliber.

Those are awesome however, they are now gone.

I called RA and asked when they expected any more Vepr's. They said no more are to be imported and if you can find one then grab it.

One of the local shops has a VG condition Vepr 2 in 7.62 x 39 however, they are asking 800 bucks for it. I think for what it does that is too much $$. I'd rather have a new bulgarian, converted saiga, or NIB Mak. I know they aren't quite as nice but good enough.

If you want the BEST AK (actually an AKM) ever made, Go with a Valmet M76. The Pic below is evidently an M76, chrome plated (inside and out) and scanned from "Guns of the Elite" - by George Markham, Stirling Publishing Co, NY, pp 1987, pg 67. (Note: I think this is actually a Valmet M72 and, if I recall correctly, was made for an Arms Show in the Middle East in the late 70's).

A "TRUE" AK-47 (as originally designed and produced) has a milled receiver... AKM's are stamped...

post-1473-1205020394_thumb.jpg

Edited by macbeau
  • 2 months later...

I would like to think that -logically- the best AK (in the original sense, i.e. starting with the receiver and including the most parts commonality) would be the latest generation variant from a country that currently desires to field it [and use it] in large numbers.

So by these criteria, and from a design standpoint, I would be inclined to say the Zastava M21 from Serbia and the AK-107/8 from Russia.

The Serbs have always made good AKs, with thicker sheet metal for stamped receivers and beefy trunnions, and the 107/108 Alexandrov model AKs feature a balancing counterweight that enhances stability in sustained automatic fire.

Now I can't say anything beyond that because I don't have any experience with these models, but seeing as these are not exported for civilian sales, neither do you :haha: so you may just have to take my word on it.

I have to say I am impressed with my Galil build. Very nice and has lots of nice upgraded features on a basic AK design.

BTW, as someone mentioned the XCR, stay away from it. Owned one for 6 months a year ago, not a good experience.

RobArms Vepr in any caliber.

Those are awesome however, they are now gone.

I called RA and asked when they expected any more Vepr's. They said no more are to be imported and if you can find one then grab it.

One of the local shops has a VG condition Vepr 2 in 7.62 x 39 however, they are asking 800 bucks for it. I think for what it does that is too much $$. I'd rather have a new bulgarian, converted saiga, or NIB Mak. I know they aren't quite as nice but good enough.

800 bucks isnt really that much if you think about there will not be any more of those great rifles. As far as i know Molot went FUBAR. (rumor says they lost a lawsuit against izhmash and they couldnt pay up so izhmash took the whole business over, dunno how much of that is true)

Vepr's are too expensive for my taste. 800 bucks for a used ak would have left a bad feeling in my stomach. :eek:

I moved on to the VZ 58 (I know not an AK variant and still $$$ but at least it is new). It is my favorite 7.62 x 39 rifle and I think it beats the Vepr.

Edited by saigaboy
Vepr's are too expensive for my taste. 800 bucks for a used ak would have left a bad feeling in my stomach. :eek:

I moved on to the VZ 58 (I know not an AK variant and still $$$ but at least it is new). It is my favorite 7.62 x 39 rifle and I think it beats the Vepr.

That video is kinda wrong, the CZ858 is semi-automatic, if its full auto it should be a VZ58

Hello boys and girls,

I am new to this forum but thought I'd add my two cents.

The Best AK?

Thats easy.....her name is Nadine.

Nadine is an Egyptian Maadi ARM,chrome lined barrel,made on Russian machines,eats anything,beats everything,1000"s of rounds hurled in every condition and never a hiccup.She never misses.

Of course due to government stupidity she arrived in America wearing a silly dress,but she's strictley designer now.

Put her up against a Valmet?

Valmet's are a fine weapon.

Nadine's game.

................Nadine will get over it..............

Congrats on the TROMIX !!! You'll love it even more the longer you have it................ !!!

So, a Tromix is like the opposite of a woman? (Edit to add: in a good way, that is...)

................Nadine will get over it..............

Congrats on the TROMIX !!! You'll love it even more the longer you have it................ !!!

So, a Tromix is like the opposite of a woman?

Juggs, Juggs, Juggs..............

Your TROMIX will never give you any undeserved shit........ You always know what you can expect from it......

It'll always be there for you with no complaining........ Never has a headache, or has to go out with the girls..........

ALWAYS looks good, even in the morning..........

...and most important, when you put a mag in it, and pull the trigger, you don't have to ask if it was good..........

..some things just go without saying....................... :devil::smoke:

• 2 months later...

Zastava. Known to most as the Yugo's. Now what's the definition of best?

Receiver stamped. If we're talking quality, then milled is better but from a war standpoint, best is production! Receiver is 1.5mm as opposed to the others at 1mm. No problem the M70's are made both stamped and milled. Bores not chrome lined, little higher on the accuracy level but at the cost of corrosion.

Some of them have built in night sights.

All have the flip up gas shut off for launching grenades.

The man himself said the Yugo's are the best around. That counts for something...

My collection is made up of variety and most of the other AK's feel like airsoft compared to the M70. I have both the B1 and AB2. My favorites.

Some of them have built in night sights.
All the Yugo AKs are supposed to have them.

By the time the parts kits got to us, most of the tritium in them have gone bye-bye. . . .

Nope

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34863

I myself have had a few with painted sights. These are generally early versions. I've since sold off the rifles or kits with painted sights and kept the tritium versions. In many cases, yes the tritium is spent.

Edited by lammy
  • 1 month later...

I'm looking to buy an AK style firearm in .308. Looking for best bang for the buck including magazines, available conversion parts and firearm price. Want quality but don't want to break the bank.

Sorry for the hijack but it is in the same lines as the question asked, only this is more best bang....

J

Mandrel Formed Chromed Barrel(concentric,lasts longer)

Sheetmetal Receiver(lighter and proven more reliable by AK47/AKM comparison testing)

Hardened Rivets

Forged gas block

High temperature Furniture

I guess a late model Russian AK100 series would be my ticket and the next best thing would be a converted Saiga?

I like a few different AKs but the weight of the milled turns me off and breaking down receiver stubs on parts kits has shown me that the Saiga has the toughest rivets of any stamped AK ever made.I can knock the rivets off of Bulgarian,Romanian,Hungarian with a cold chisel but I'll be a monkeys uncle if it doesn't take a cutoff wheel or milling machine to get those damned Saiga rivets free!

I'm very fond of these. A Yugo, Tantal, and a Bulgarian. I don't know anything about a Valmet though, or that other type that Azrial mentioned.

But these are MY babies. :wub:

DSC_4348.jpg

DSC_4643.jpg

Is that Bulgarian an Armory Arsenal 85C, Collektor?

Can't say about worldwide, but, I have always considered pre ban Chinese imports, to be as close to a military AK as you can get, built on real military machinery with prison and slave labor.

How oppressive is that? Not even Capitalism comes into the picture, just an oppressive communist run country, with all of Norinco's profits going straight back to the Army, to build better weapons.

And they say the Chinese aren't as smart as Americans.

Yup. Norinco AK's are pretty nice. I recently picked up an NHM-90, the MAK-90's cousin that came with a threaded muzzle. It's stamped from 1.6mm thick steel, heat treated properly, finished square and true, and has the kind of deep mirror blue you'd expect to see on a fine hunting rifle. The barrel is hard chromed, headspaces like a champ, and measures just enough over 16" to keep Uncle Sam happy.

post-526-1224804937_thumb.jpg

The wife's "kyber Pass" bastard parts UF and my Romy G with S-.410 rear trunnion and sight base. Since these are my first builds, they are my favorites! Her S-.410 UF and my S-12 with MD20 are there to keep them company!

• 2 months later...