Ordered a couple NDS 100% recievers from group buy on MD Shooters Forum. First I'm doing the NDS-1P with a Yugo underfolder. Recievers coming next month, takes longer due to custom SNs.

So far I"ve collected a few things for this build.

post-526-1203716812_thumb.jpg

Edited by G O B
  • 1 month later...

"Rusty romy" parts kit ordered, recievers in, the wife and I did paperwork today, now for "7daywait" that is more like 10 days. (MD BS requirement).

"Patience is a learned virtue". Damn I hate the learning curve!

Ordered a couple NDS 100% recievers from group buy on MD Shooters Forum. First I'm doing the NDS-1P with a Yugo underfolder. Recievers coming next month, takes longer due to custom SNs.

The Yugo UF will need to be shimmed on each side as they are not as thick. Not sure if the UF holes are the same as the polish?? I would call and ask. If not get the receiver with no holes and put them in yourself. A step drill and a dremil to finish size work great. The receiver will also have to angled in the rear to fit the yugo trunnion profile.

Good luck

Edited by uechiguy

The Yugo UF will need to be shimmed on each side as they are not as thick. Not sure if the UF holes are the same as the polish?? I would call and ask. If not get the receiver with no holes and put them in yourself. A step drill and a dremil to finish size work great. The receiver will also have to angled in the rear to fit the yugo trunnion profile.

Here is a pic of my Romy with yugo UF.

Good luck

that is a nice looking rifle.

The UF is for the wife, to match her S-.410 that I alresdy did with an identical Yugo UF. That one didn't need shimming, just an angle trim of the rear of the reciever and some CAREFULL drilling!

These 2 I am building on Nodak Spud 100% recievers. Mine on an NDS-1 , and hers on a NDS-1P.

Good news today, J&G has shipped my "rusty romy" kit.

7MM cool. I have a slightly different situation, the trunion is used, but the barell in new, So i figure the best way to go is to press it together on a spent steel case, and then SLOWLY work an endmill into the existing hole in the trunnion, working from both sides to the middle. This will be for the underfolder only, as I have a complete rusty Romy kit coming for the fixed stock build.

• 2 weeks later...

Did some more de-mil on the rusty Romy, cut the back of the Nodak 1-P to match the Yugo underfolder. Ordered 2 Ergo grips 1 green, 1 black from: JSE Surplus $15 ea. S&H $6.82 $36.82 Total.

Grips came today. They sent Tapco SAW grips instead of Ergo's. Wife and I both decided we liked them , so they aren't going back - and they didn't charge extra, so it is still a great deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Dropped another $111 on parts. Ordered a return spring assembly, 2 hammersprings, 4 axis pins, 3 barell pins, 5 sear springs, a muzzle retainer pin and spring, a gas tube,1 USA slant break, a reciever cover and a couple USA gas pistons.

Also ordered a 7MM end mill for the virgin barells. (some parts are just for spares) Should have everything needed to build both AKs.

Taking pix as I go. Will post as soon as I get some time, the build party is next weekend, and I still need the 7MM endmill to get here so I can pin the virgin barell. Gonna have to throw a press together to press the barells in. The virgin barell I will press in with a spent steel shellcase untill the bolt is just too tight to turn by hand, Then "kisss" the barell with the endmill from both sides. Then pull the barell and dremmell most of the waste material out. Then press back in and use the endmill to remove the remaining material, working from each side to the middle. Then after assembly I will lap the bolt lugs in with clover compound untill they will just lock on a spent round with 2 fingers operating the boltcarrier. The bolt, carrrier and trunnion for the build with the virgin barell are all mis=matched,so a little lapping is in order.

Endmill showed up the other day, headspaced and lapped the locking lugs on the bastard parts build, heading out now to a build party. Frog time (rivet, rivet!).

Still building! We had a great time, but the guy with the tools didn't show! SOOOO- a nice young man who goes by numidian (who was the host) made a 'squeezer out of his bolt cutter, and I made a rivet buck out of 1/4 plate, and a rivet set out of a 3/8" X 6" bolt.

We made some press pins from bolts and drill rod and got everything but the triggerguards and the interior rivets on the wife's UF trunnion. Doing a waterpump for #3 son, so the rest has to wait a few days.

Cleaning out the shop so i can make some rivet jiggers and finish up. Hauled the first load of scrap iron out todat 980# (You won't believe how much junk old men accumulate)!

Have some 1/2" plate cut for the triggerguard jig, looks like I may use a SBC piston and rod for the UF trunnion jig.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Long awaited pix.

Here are the twins. That is the wife's S-.410 UF with her "Kyber pass" AK, built with no 2 matching parts. The bayo is a work still in progress. This the type 1 bayo, if you want one CDNN has them, this one was a gun show find.

Momma loves the way the ATI handguard goes with the ventilated one I did on her S-.410

post-526-1217794610_thumb.jpg

Edited by G O B

More pix, this time my "rusty Romy" build with an S-.410 rear trunnion and sight base. Sorry the build pix are not uploadable, all tools were hand made, fromt trunnions with a bolt cutter, triggerguard and rear trunnion/sight base screws with a homemade buck and hammer and punch.

post-526-1217795165_thumb.jpg

post-526-1217795215_thumb.jpg