Saiga Fans,

There are a bunch of different ways to set up your optic, having a Saiga is going to put you in the Open Division, so you might as well take advantage of it by putting an optic on your shotgun.

1. there are various side rail systems high and low
  2. Cobra has a very cool gas rail mount
  3. barrel mount

I figure if your in the Open Division you might as well take full advantage of it and get an optic on your gun. There are a lot of Asian imports with increasing quality of course there are the eastern block or if your weathy there are the American made red dot scopes.

To me I for one desire a dot smaller than 3 moa.

Opinions and pictures please,

I'll throw in my two cents to get the ball rolling.

I own a AimPoint and a Eotech sights. I taped (yes, with electric tape) them on my gun one at a time and felt they where both to big and to high and felt I needed a pillow for a cheek rest. I also think they just don't look right on there (tape didn't help with that decision). If money was no issue I would go with a Docter sight and Tromixes base. I saw a Docter sight at my local gun shop and they had a Saiga 12 in stock so out came the tape again (this time the clear cheap type) and I was practicing mounting the gun and getting on target, found it to be very easy. Not to mention the sight sits very low. I would like to mention as of right now I have the Krebs sight and couldn't be happier, saved a lot of money and I also feel it looks great with the gun.

The only way I would use a Aimpoint are Eotech sight would be based on some type of barrel mount which I believe Topmaul has mentioned before. Thats if it will hold up to the abuse. At least that way the dot will be a lot lower and more in line to my shooting preferences.

BTW-> What sight do you use Topmaul?

I have a PK-01 on it right now I plan to move that to my new AR and get another eastern block optic for my Saiga 12. I am using a Command Arms Accessories mount at the moment but plan to up grade to a better barrel mount rig some time after the AR and Mauser tactical builds are done.

I have used reddots on rifled shotgun barrels for many years for deer. I have used them the past 5 years on an AR for deer. I have never used anything bigger than 3moa and prefer smaller. I can not stand the 65moa circles at close range.

On any gun, I prefer the dot as far forward as possible and mounted as low as possible.

Sinistral's set up is the one I prefer in terms of mounting point. I have not seen Cobra's mount yet. I have decided going forward to go to Aimpoints on my guns. What surprises me is the Micro is 4moa.

Hey Sinistral, what ammo are you shooting in that video? I assume buck. There was something odd about watching you shoot, then I realized you are a lefty. That makes the Saiga mag changes real nice for you.

Edited by Zoub

What I would like to see is a rail that sits in front of the gas block. One that will allow an EoTech to co-witness on the normal shotgun sight plane. As far as a shotgun goes, the circle and dot of the EoTech realy shines.

The hard part is getting one that would be more stable than just clamping around the barrel.

Any ideas guys. The fellow that makes Tonys Jpoint mount is a good friend of mine. We could get some made up if some one can come up with a "better mouse trap".

http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?page=shop...t&Itemid=37 I think I am going to get this upper

My clamp on barrel deal has been in two 3 gun matches so far and it is solid as a rock. I think Jammer also has a really cool set up I may up grade to his clamp on rig at some point. I put this one on tight and use a lot of avaition grade Lock Tite. It is on there solid. I get a very good sight picture that is the main reason I want to leave it there.

Topmaul

The link went to a carbine. Do you have a pic of your saiga with mout & optic?

I'm trying to get some ideas how to set my shotgun up for matches.

Cross Creek RIfle and Pistol Clubs is talking about putting on a 3 gun match and I'd like to

check it out.

Jack

FYI the drum is for testing we the grip pod is usually on my AR, and the optic well is in a great place for the shotgun part of 3 gun match shooting.

See you at the mall.

Yeah I got mine duck taped on, it allows the grip to flex with the recoil thus reducing felt recoil and increasing the taylor knockdown factor by at least 7. as to the drum, I like to tape them together so I can do a quick mag change. Thats something I picked up from the SAS delta operators in the 'nam with the original AA-12 design I was issued.

This is an older Eastern Block red dot, I think binicularsmart has them but any tube style will work, the base is not big enough for the can style.

Midwayusa has some pretty decent tube red dots for a good price.

This is an older Eastern Block red dot, I think binicularsmart has them but any tube style will work, the base is not big enough for the can style.

Thanks Topmaul , Were you a First SGT in the service ( TOP)?

So far it has not moved, as soon as this rain stops I plan to give the drum some testing, and then we'll see if it moves.

It may just be the internet, but I sense you are gonna go for it on this test!

If a 100 or so rounds rapid fire from the drum don't move it, that will be a good sign.

Zoub I put a bunch or rounds thru it yestersay testing the drum and it held position!

I am amazed. I really am. That might say something for how soft the S12 shoots? Either way, it is nice to see something simple work for a change. I like the red dot as far forward as possible. This is good. Plus it is low on the gun too.

Did you put any locktite or anything under the barrel clamp? Probably not, but I had to ask.

Edited by Zoub

"I like the red dot as far forward as possible".

Can you acquire the target faster with this setup, than with a traditional red dot above the receiver?

I obvously like it "old school" Belarus mount and C-More bolted directly to the mount (Picatinney rail removed).

Zoub I put a bunch or rounds thru it yestersay testing the drum and it held position!

I am amazed. I really am. That might say something for how soft the S12 shoots? Either way, it is nice to see something simple work for a change. I like the red dot as far forward as possible. This is good. Plus it is low on the gun too.

Did you put any locktite or anything under the barrel clamp? Probably not, but I had to ask.

post-4457-1205801677_thumb.jpg

Thanks Topmaul , Were you a First SGT in the service ( TOP)?

John is actually an active-duty Senior Chief with the U.S. Coast Guard and despite this (or maybe inspite of) he is a pretty decent guy. I've heard rumors (scuttlebutt in Navy terminology) that John insisted that only Kevin Costner play his part in the movie "The Guardian". :rolleyes:

"I like the red dot as far forward as possible".

Can you acquire the target faster with this setup, than with a traditional red dot above the receiver?

I obvously like it "old school" Belarus mount and C-More bolted directly to the mount (Picatinney rail removed).

I have been thinking how to answer this; for me the answer is yes. I am 44, I shot my first gun at age 5, a shotgun. I progressed from shotgun to handgun to AR's in that order. You could argue I shoot open sight handguns and even rifles like they are a shotgun. Before my AR's any rifle I owned was scoped and used for hunting.

With shotguns, I use the profile of the barrel as my sight. The Saiga is a bit different in that the gas tube rides above the barrel and provides your line of sight. Similar, but also different

For sure red dots have their advantages. I do not really need one and I also find in some situations they slow me down, in others they are great. A small, light weight, forward mounted sight does not take up much of your peripherial vision on targets and keeps the gun light. Two things I think are critical. Since the targets are not moving and compared to clays or birds are very LARGE, your speed comes from firing as you come on the target, not stopping on it and firing.

If cost is a non issue, what Sinistral did on his gun has an awesome look to me as well.

With Topmaul and Sinistral's set ups, a low mounted sight also promotes a better cheek weld, critical to good technique.

A rifle guy coming to the Saiga may be just as fast with the red dot right in his face if that is what he is already use to. For me, I am a shotgunner and my focus is on the targets, not the gun. Then, we each have our own vision issues too!

Edited by Zoub

Guys,

I remember seeing some of your creative mounting designs, so when I ran across this other site I thought it might be of interest/assistance to someone.

Looks like they have a couple different designs that Saiga folks might be interested in? Take a look and see what ya think.

http://www.mfiap.com/smallarms/barrel-mounts.htm

They also list a raised picatinney for scopes, etc. that permits seeing through the iron sights ..... but shows being out of stock due to military contracts - for now?

http://www.mfiap.com/airsoft/acce/riser-combo.jpg

and again on this page (scroll down to item #7): http://www.mfiap.com/airsoft/acce/live.htm

There they also show a couple fake silencers on that page that I'm guessing some folks might like to play with as barrel shrouds :P

Anyway, just thought I'd throw it up here in case anything is applicable.

HarvKY