Misfeeds with certain ammo

Hi y'all, My first post and unfortunately its a complaint about the Saiga.

I found out that certain ammo for my Saiga is jamming as it if fed into the chamber. Anyone else having this problem? Right now two nato rounds are giving me the problem, they have the following headstamps: PMJ 06 and LC 05 both with the NATO stamp. I know the LC is Lake City brass and I thought that should feed fine, but it doesn't.

I have another NATO round with the following headstamp that feeds fine: FNM 76-30. Also, both my Winchester INI 308 and Privi Partizan 308 rounds feed fine.

Is this something common with the Saiga? I figured since it was based on the AK receiver it would have loose enough tolerances that it would fire just about anything.

Thanks!

Hi y'all, My first post and unfortunately its a complaint about the Saiga.

I found out that certain ammo for my Saiga is jamming as it if fed into the chamber. Anyone else having this problem? Right now two nato rounds are giving me the problem, they have the following headstamps: PMJ 06 and LC 05 both with the NATO stamp. I know the LC is Lake City brass and I thought that should feed fine, but it doesn't.

I have another NATO round with the following headstamp that feeds fine: FNM 76-30. Also, both my Winchester INI 308 and Privi Partizan 308 rounds feed fine.

Is this something common with the Saiga? I figured since it was based on the AK receiver it would have loose enough tolerances that it would fire just about anything.

Thanks!

Since China has, in other calibers, copied the LC on some of their brass, it may not be Lake City brass after all. If your firearm is feeding Winchester and Privi Partizan,both of which are good brands of ammo, I'd suspect the ammo may be a problem. That said, you may have an issue with your rifle related to feeding.

The first question I would ask is have you tried a different magazine? Often times the magazine is the problem.

Regards,

Dave

Since China has, in other calibers, copied the LC on some of their brass, it may not be Lake City brass after all. If your firearm is feeding Winchester and Privi Partizan,both of which are good brands of ammo, I'd suspect the ammo may be a problem. That said, you may have an issue with your rifle related to feeding.

The first question I would ask is have you tried a different magazine? Often times the magazine is the problem.

Regards,

Dave

Yes, I've tried several different magazines and also feeding them in by hand. The Nato rounds I listed consistantly jam as they chamber while the others don't. I may have to try micing the neck area to see if there is a difference in the ammo.

just wondering how many rounds have you put through your rifle? do you thing it may just need a little break in period?

I've probably only put about 40-50 rounds through it so far. Would that make a difference with the rounds chambering? It seems like these rounds that don't chamber are very tight the last half inch of feeding or so.

Exactly how are they jamming when feeding? Describe the type of jam.

It does sound like its the ammo, but that does seem a bit odd.

When the bolt moves forward to feed the round into the chamber, it sticks about 1/2" to 1" from fulling seating. I have to grab hold of the bolt charging lever and simultaneously pound the butt of the gun on the ground while pulling down on the lever to free it and the round. When I try to hand feed the round into the chamber, it only feeds into until the last 1/2" is protruding. Now sometimes I can rotate the round and it will feed all the way in. I'm wondering if the chamber needs a little polishing to give it looser tolerance.

As I mentioned earlier, it happens only with the rounds with the Nato headstamp I listed, and not 100% of the time with those (somewhere around 80% of the time it jams on these rounds). The other nato head stamp rounds that I listed cycle through without any problems 100% of the time.