Need suggestions on where to move in PA

I plan on going for a road trip this spring, to find areas in PA to move. Anyone know any areas in PA they feel would be good to live? I know the fact that I live in NY makes any area of PA great. :haha:

Uhh... stay away from Pittsburgh, Philly. I like it in the middle :) Send me a PM with some questions we can hash this out

I plan on going for a road trip this spring, to find areas in PA to move. Anyone know any areas in PA they feel would be good to live? I know the fact that I live in NY makes any area of PA great. :haha:

Uhh... stay away from Pittsburgh, Philly. I like it in the middle :) Send me a PM with some questions we can hash this out

:lolol: You have already been a big help. I notice the link on your signature. It makes a good place to start looking on all of PA.org type web sites. I'll think of some ?'s to PM you with soon.

I live in Greencastle. Farm country. I can shoot in my back yard anytime I want. There's a stream running through the yard. NOBODY bothers you. THe neighbors look out for each other. Nice area. Recreational gunfire is pretty common when it's nice outside. Zip Code 17225 PM me if you want more info on the area.

I live in Greencastle. Farm country. I can shoot in my back yard anytime I want. There's a stream running through the yard. NOBODY bothers you. THe neighbors look out for each other. Nice area. Recreational gunfire is pretty common when it's nice outside. Zip Code 17225 PM me if you want more info on the area.

Wow, Greencastle looks like a nice area. I was thinking more central PA but its not that far off. I was looking up housing there with Realtor.com

Is most of that area new developments? Are a mix? I saw lots of new houses built.

I notice some areas have housing more closer together while others are more spread out. I think for my needs I would like more privacy. Since I would hate to find out if I lived closer to people that my neighbor doesn't like the idea of a gun range in the back yard no matter how safe I make it.

I go to Indiana PA during the summer to see family, and know what your saying about Recreational gunfire being excepted. I'm definitely going to look into Greencastle.

Both new and old construction. I'm out in farm country. 1.6+ acres. Stream running through the back yard. 1/3 wooded. 35yd shooting range in my backyard. My wife and I love it out here. Prices aren't bad either. Taxes aren't as high as the big cities. Plus, we're only 20 minutes from anyplace we want to go. The wife likes to go down to Hagerstown shopping. The shopping area there is HUGE.

If you're going to be down this way, give me a heads up.

Edited by patriot
Recreational gunfire is pretty common when it's nice outside.

That sounds like a dream come true, I need to move out of the city :cryss: .

Don't get me wrong I like guns, but I'm not going to base my whole decision on how gun friendly a place is. Not saying you where implying that 22 Shooter. I just wanted to be clear on my stance about what I'm looking for.

Where I live now I'm tired of hearing about and seeing, gangs, drugs and people my age and younger finding nothing but trouble. The majority of people around me are in some kind of crazy rat race, with the way they live there life. Everyone is always in competition to out do the next guy with possessions too, I would guess we have a lot of people in huge dept where I live from having to have the nicer car, lawn, house and such.

For anyone not familiar with where I live its Long Island NY Nassau. Which if you look on a map is in the center of LI. All the garbage to the west of us, is moving deeper into LI. There are some areas that are still nice on LI though, I jsu can't think of any. :haha:

To sum it up I basically like country people. Thats how my Dad (who grew up in Indiana PA) was raised and thats what he passed on to me.

Don't get me wrong I like guns, but I'm not going to base my whole decision on how gun friendly a place is. Not saying you where implying that 22 Shooter. I just wanted to be clear on my stance about what I'm looking for.

No, I agree. I wouldn't base where I'm gonna live specifically on guns and shooting. I'm just saying it would be nice to walk out to your back yard and shoot all day :super: . In an ideal world, if I could afford it, or won the lottery or something, I would live in the suburbs, and have some private land out in the country for my shooting pleasures.

Edited by 22_Shooter

I'm just saying it would be nice to walk out to your back yard and shoot all day :super:

Who's talking about having to walk into there back yard to shoot. I want to eat breakfast on a my porch while doing some target shooting. :super::devil:

Scoutjoe, thanks for offering the help. Last summer when I was heading to Indiana I took a d-tour threw State college. I really didn't take the time to look around that much. I looked on my map and noticed you are in the center of PA. Blair County wouldn't be a bad spot either for me. Since its central, near Indiana, and not on top of PSU which I'm guessing is kinda party central. Tomorrow when I get a chance I have to see whats available in that area. As for as your offer, sure if you have any info, feel free to send me the links.

I hear ya on that! Nothing like plinking from the hot tub...lol.

Hey you should PM pistonring8 (just don't tell him you are a NYer... :haha:...j/k)

He doesn't post much here any more, got run off by too much negativity.... but he lives way out in the sticks in upper PA I think, and it's VERY gun friendly where he is with good people.

No, I agree. I wouldn't base where I'm gonna live specifically on guns and shooting. I'm just saying it would be nice to walk out to your back yard and shoot all day :super: . In an ideal world, if I could afford it, or won the lottery or something, I would live in the suburbs, and have some private land out in the country for my shooting pleasures.

You mean like where I live? :rolleyes: I used to live in Dillsburg for a time. It's just south of Harrisburg. Lived in a duplex. $400 a month. But that was 20 years ago. If you can deal with the cold, it's a nice place.

I hear ya on that! Nothing like plinking from the hot tub...lol.

For anyone that just read that and made a mess. I find using a vacuum to suck up the tuna in between the keys works great! :haha:

Hey you should PM pistonring8 (just don't tell him you are a NYer... :haha:...j/k)

He doesn't post much here any more, got run off by too much negativity.... but he lives way out in the sticks in upper PA I think, and it's VERY gun friendly where he is with good people.

It's OK with the j/k. I find 80% of NYers or asswipes. :haha: Not the upstate NYers though. My sister lives up there and says she cant believe the difference when she comes down to visit. I would say where the east coast version of Hollywood uopies.

Most of the state is pretty good except for Phili. Pittsburgh isn't bad for a city. Allegheny county issues more carry permits than any otehr single county in the nation, and the whole state is "shall issue" by state law.

The southwest quarter of the state is good if you think you might be looking into any of the following:

Living affordably and safely while building equity instead of being forced to buy a house so big you'll be in debt forever.

Having a number of companies reasonably close to work for in case your job goes away or you feel the need for a change.

Pursuing education full or part time in a wide variety of schools, not all of which are insanely liberal. Lots of good technical schools and community colleges that start or restart many good careers for a low cost.

Living in an urban setting with all of its tradeoffs while being not far away from some serious rural areas. Also a few semi-rural areas of the city. In SW PA, the city and country are much closer and more connected than in a lot of places.

Lots of technological centers if you're looking for work or research on the cutting edge of all kinds of science and technology.

The Steelers, if you like that sort of thing. I'm a Steeler fan by marriage.

PA is a major battleground state for historical American freedom not because of all the antis who think the whole state should follow Phili's miserable example, but because of all the well read freedom minded Americans who live here. Lots of people who balance an open mind with a firm grip on reality. If it weren't for goons like Rendell, this state would be full of people who could disagree on lots of things but agree on freedom.

BattleRifleG3, That was some gooood info. Thanks

Don't get me started on the Steelers. My dad made me a fan since I could throw a football. Being in NY and wearing my Steelers jersey when they where playing the giants while being around a bunch of drunk Nyers in a bar........ Brings back fond memories. :super:

History was one of my favorite subjects in school. No wounder why I'm drawn to PA.