Connecticut AWB and conversions

I live in CT where there is an assault weapons ban. "AK type" rifles are banned, but for some reason Saiga's are legal in .223 or .308.

So, my question is this: Will converting my Saiga .308 magically turn it into an "AK type" rifle in CT? Has anyone in CT gotten an answer to this from a knowledgeable source?

I am thinking I can convert it as long as I don't add more than one of the following according to the AWB:

(i) A folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the

action of the weapon;

(iii) A bayonet mount;

(iv) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to

accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(v) A grenade launcher;

And the fact that it isn't 7.62x39 will keep it from being an "AK type" like it does now.

Hard to figure out the laws when they don't make much sense.

You can have an AK in any caliber other than 7.62x39, even though the ruskies have been using 5.45x39 for 35 years now.

Bayonet mount is a no-no. Muzzlebrakes are ok, but they have to be pinned/welded because of the threading law. Folding stocks are only okay if those are pinned/welded as well.

Go to a gun store and look at the guns you can legally buy off the shelf. You can buy Arsenal AK guns in .223 here, there's no law against converting. You just need to comply with 922r. Converting a Saiga SHOTGUN to pistol grip is ILLEGAL in CT though. If you do it, you cannot use a separate pistol grip, you need to use a thumbhole or skeleton 1 piece stock.

You can have an AK in any caliber other than 7.62x39, even though the ruskies have been using 5.45x39 for 35 years now.

Bayonet mount is a no-no. Muzzlebrakes are ok, but they have to be pinned/welded because of the threading law. Folding stocks are only okay if those are pinned/welded as well.

Go to a gun store and look at the guns you can legally buy off the shelf. You can buy Arsenal AK guns in .223 here, there's no law against converting. You just need to comply with 922r. Converting a Saiga SHOTGUN to pistol grip is ILLEGAL in CT though. If you do it, you cannot use a separate pistol grip, you need to use a thumbhole or skeleton 1 piece stock.

What he said.

I even went to the "Special Licensing and Firearms Unit" at the DPS in Middletown just to make sure that CT doesn't consider the thumbhole to be a pistol grip. The answer was no, so, thumbhole on S12 = legal, PG on S12 = illegal.

It seems that they originally interpreted the law to mean any gun called AK 47 was banned, so for instance a MAK 90 was OK, but later decided that it really meant any AK type chambered in 7.62x39. Makes sense, right...

Well... they are helpful over there, and it is what they do, so if you really want to be sure just call them. Its a part of their job.

Hey guys, thanks for the information. I stumbled onto a page that gives some information on this topic since i posted this. http://gunsafe.org/ak-47.htm . They(CT DPS) originally said as long as it didn't say "AK-47" on it it was ok. After eight years and thousands sold, they changed their interpretation to say it can't have the operating system of an AK, use 7.62x39, and have interchangeable parts with an AK. So, .223 and .308 are not banned seems to be the key.

Edited by LKB3rd
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...