I picked up a PSL yesterday. It's a Century import, made in Romania. All the numbers match except for the op rod, which I've read is fairly common. It has a neutered bayo lug and pinned muzzle brake. The wood looks very good on this rifle. Even the guys at the gunshop I picked it up at said it was some of the best they've seen on a PSL. The trigger broke at 6lbs, 6oz on my RCBS scale. The first stage is a little gritty but it breaks clean...it certainly feels less than 6 lbs. My AR15 with a supplemental hammer spring for 50 BMG upper use is 2 lbs lighter but the weight feels the same. That may be due to the wide trigger. A rattling, loose fitting gas tube and a slightly canted front sight are the only annoyances.

The rifle shipped with a surplus sling, rusty magazine, and a plastic oil bottle. Currently the only guns I've seen available are the TN Guns builds, and for a bit too much money. I wanted a Romanian built gun and the secondary market seems to be the only way to get 'em at the moment. I waited (impatiently) for a fair price on GunBroker and GunsAmerica after selling a 308 Remington 700 VS. I finally got this one at a reserve of $725 on GB. It's a little more than I wanted to pay, but after e-mailing IO, Inc and finding out that they are unsure of when any more will be imported due to the Romanian factory restructuring, I could certainly live with it. I had ordered an AK grenade launcher buttpad, ITC railrest cheekpiece, Harris bipod with an AR-15 adapter, and a POSP 2-6x24 scope. The first focal plane scope will take some getting used to. I wish I could move it back about 3/4". That would put it in a perfect position for me, but I'll just have to live with it. The 24mm Weaver mount POSP's are only available in 2.5-5x, and I don't particularly like the mounts. The optics and sight picture are about what you'd expect from a cheap, small airgun scope, but the adjustments work with a positive click. I have no idea where these reviews come from people praising these optics. It is workable and seems robust.

I have a tin of 440 rounds of 7N1 coming. I can't wait to put some rounds through her. Unfortunately all I have is this crappy web cam pic.

post-6463-1203952177_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Damn that sux about UPS. Usually it's DSL that makes that kind of mistakes... :rolleyes:

Great job on the cheek rest though. I may have to try that myself...looks nice.

You wife's a great photographer BTW.

You'll be impressed with the effectiveness of that muzzle bake .

I believe that's more of a flash hider but between the spring loaded butt plate, and the weight of the rifle, there is almost no felt recoil on mine. Maybe it does help some.

I had another setback today. Turns out the scope had the wrong reticle from the factory. It only had one aiming chevron. I thought this model just came this way, but that is not so. One more hassle to deal with. I'll probably never shoot at anything past 1000M, but it'd be nice to have.

You wife's a great photographer BTW.

Yes, and she brags about her skills often :rolleyes: I tell her it's the camera :haha:

I really had my eye on SVD's years ago when they were relatively affordable. After watching videos and reading range reports of both I don't regret passing them up. It's not as pretty, but should work just as well (though .308 NDM's are apparently the most accurate) and they are universally known as a pleasant rifle to shoot.

It's agonizing having to wait so long to get this ammo business sorted.

BTW it turns out UPS doesn't cover money orders. I had to look through their 48 page charter to verify it. The only currency they'll cover is a check. I'm using USPS for all letters for now on!

Thanks for the comments.

• 3 months later...
What is "AK Grenade Launcher Pad" and does it by any chance make stock longer? Got my PSL couple of days ago and I would not mind stock to be longer.

Thanks,

Igor

I did a search and came up with this thread.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...amp;mode=linear

Edit to add>>>I have this Bulgarian GL pad on my PSL and it adds almost 2 cm to the length.

It will also fit on all AK stocks including the underfolders.

For those of you in the USA, it adds about an inch to the LOP.

What is "AK Grenade Launcher Pad" and does it by any chance make stock longer? Got my PSL couple of days ago and I would not mind stock to be longer.

Thanks,

Igor

Edit to add>>>I have this Bulgarian GL pad on my PSL and it adds almost 2 cm to the length.

Sorry but it is exactly 3/4" American that this recoil pad adds to the length of pull.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks,

Igor

Sorry but it is exactly 3/4" American that this recoil pad adds to the length of pull.

Any idea where I can get it from?

So far I had found two different pads online:

http://www.tickbitesupply.com/ak.html

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?prod...=282&page=1

Could you add more details on how the bipod is mounted? Did you just go thru the cooling holes on the handguard?

My PSL as well as others I've seen really likes the Czech light ball. The 7N1 was designed for the SVD and is a little heavy as the PSL's seem to like 150 gr. and below bullets. Plus the light ball is easier to find, cheaper, and has less recoil.

I was also impressed with the factory trigger, and a little time spent polishing and some FP-10 make a noticeable difference.

Thanks,

Igor

Any idea where I can get it from?

So far I had found two different pads online:

http://www.tickbitesupply.com/ak.html

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?prod...=282&page=1

The less expensive one in the Tickbite store is the domestic copy of the Bulgarian one that K Var sells.

I'm thinking about getting one of these at the gun show this weekend as my first rifle. Anyone have a reason to talk me out of it? I'm looking for something fun most of all that will be nice and accurate.

edit: also, is it true that these don't do well with bullets over 150grain like the russian bulk?

Edited by Flex_BT

Wow! What a choice for a first rifle. My first one was a Ted Williams .22 (still love it) when I was about ten. Took me 32 more years to land the PSL.

Yep it's true that they don't like the heavy stuff.

Get it and enjoy it. The Czech white tip was pretty reasonable about six mo.s ago when I got mine from Ammoman.com

I'm thinking about getting one of these at the gun show this weekend as my first rifle. Anyone have a reason to talk me out of it? I'm looking for something fun most of all that will be nice and accurate.

edit: also, is it true that these don't do well with bullets over 150grain like the russian bulk?

You would no doubt enjoy it. Some folks say the best ammo for the PSL is the Wolf 148gr. See http://www.dragunov.net/psl_ammo.htm

How accurate are you guys with these? I'm kind of questioning what I should be in the market for now. I like the fact that it has great range but I've heard mixed reports about accuracy - everything from sub-MOA is no problem to 4" groups at 100 yards if you're lucky. Another turn-off is that the 150 grain ammo seems to be really pretty expensive - aound 50 cents a round for retail. Is the corrosive surplus stuff going to screw the gun up in a major way? It also seems like the 150 grain surplus is a little more rare and expensive than the heavier stuff.

I use corrosive surplus 148 gr in mine, just make sure you clean it very thoroughly after use. I suppose accuracy is a per gun per shooter thing, but it does well for what it is, a dedicated marksman rifle, its not really meant to be a sniper rifle.

I have two of these now... Both C's... although one is more "C" than the other... the one I just got has a threaded muzzle, and a bayo lug... my original one, has the pinned brake, and no bayo lug...

Both are shooters... although the newer one, ( with the threaded brake) I think, shoots slightly better.

Both are in excellent condition... Although the rail on that same newer one is fucked up... When I put a POSP 8X optic on it, it was shooting about 6 feet high at 100 yards... :eek:

With Irons, however... it will hit within 2" every time!

I use Wolf 148's almost exclusively... but I have two crates of the Czech Silver Tip 146's... mildly corrosive... as stated above... just gotta clean REALLY WELL *IMMEDIATELY* after shooting... dont wait a few days, or put it up for a week before cleaning... CLEAN IT LATER THAT DAY!!! Or you will be sorry!!!

:smoke:

• 5 weeks later...

I finally got around to adapting an ati dragunov ak stock to mine( which gives me proper length of pull ) and wow!!! I have bean warned not to expect exceptional accuracy from these rifles but hell 7" at 800 all day long which IS exceptional for me!!!!!,cool barrel and 7n1 ammo....... On a related note: anybody wanna buy an overpriced ridiculously heavy expensive as hell to shoot bolt action rifle? P.S. only one retarded shot fired from my collar bone (not recommended with psl ati combo)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
My wife took a couple pics of the PSL with her new camera.

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

Unfortunately UPS lost the money order I sent for my ammo so I gotta wait a month or two for the damn claim to go through.

Nice CZ you got there. :D The PSL is nice too. I have one in the safe awaiting degreasing and cleaning.