Questions about the Saiga 12

These are some great looking shotguns. I have been shooting in competition for several years, and I think that this kind of shotgun will give the user a great advantage over the more traditional shotguns. I have a few questions that you people might be able to help me with.

1. Is it possible to get 8rd mags for the Saiga 12 (I have FFL), and where do I get them?

2. Is it true that the Saiga has all the reliability of the AK-47?

3. Do the new Saiga 12s come with the bolt hold open device installed?

4. What sort of rail does it have on the top?

5. If I buy a Saiga can I get additional barrels for it?

6. Do I need special tools or will standard gunsmith tools work?

Thanks for enduring my ignorance, with your help I will be able to get the answers to my questions.

Thanks for your time.

Chris Orr

1. Is it possible to get 8rd mags for the Saiga 12 (I have FFL), and where do I get them?
Yes, http://www.ak-103.com - Chris

2. Is it true that the Saiga has all the reliability of the AK-47?

Hmm... I would say yes, depending on the ammo she eats!

3. Do the new Saiga 12s come with the bolt hold open device installed?
No way to know - You need to ask the dealer you are buing it from - one of my saiga's is dated 1999 and it had it in, the other 2001 and it did not have it in!

4. What sort of rail does it have on the top?

What rail are you talking about? for the scope?

5. If I buy a Saiga can I get additional barrels for it?
uhh... You can get a *replacement* bbl if needed... but it has to be pressed in - it is not an easy swap...

6. Do I need special tools or will standard gunsmith tools work?

Nothing special - a screw driver and a hammer will do! :) It is just like AK inside! :super:

You would need to call them and talk to Chris.

(Sorry, I should have said that to begin with!!!)

He stocks (or so I have heard) LEO items (including S-12C).

No one wants to put them on the web - if you do that, them thousands of people will call trying to say that they are LEO, trying to get them...

It is a very if'ee issue - these mags are actually legal to own for civilians as well, but it is illigal to attach them to the gun... Personally, I would not wanna deal with something like that...

:smoke:

Unless I am reading the laws wrong I can not see anything that says you can not attach an eight round magazine to this particular shotgun. Although I do not have the exact letter of the law infront of me. I am using one of Alan Corwin's books about the gun laws of Arizona. In this particular book the Saiga 12 in it's "stock" configuration would not violate the 2 "evil feature" rule because it can not accept a magazine that holds more then 10 rounds. If you have any additional information on this I would really appreciate it. By the way what is needed for an LEO to get a modified Saiga such as the "K" or "C" models? What sort of proof to the manufactures require? Thanks again, your help is invaluable.

Chris

By the way what is needed for an LEO to get a modified Saiga such as the "K" or "C" models? What sort of proof to the manufactures require?

An individual officer must provide a dealer with a letter from a supervisor signed by the officer and the supervisor that in some way states the following:

1. That the officer is purchasing the gun for on-duty use and not just for personal use and

2. That the officer has never been convicted of any felony or convicted of a misdemeanor involving domestic violence (which is silly because you couldn't be a cop if you had been).

With this, an officer can get the Saiga 12C (pistol grip, 8 round mag, folding stock). I don't know what the dealers do with this letter once they get it but they are good to go and will sell the gun at that point. I guess the dealer just has to keep the letter with the transfer paperwork in case the gun gets traced.

A law enforcement agency can purchase Saiga 12K shotguns, but the individual officer cannot unless they go through the proper Class III paperwork and tax requirements since the 12K is a "short-barrelled shotgun" and subject to NFA rules.

Edited by SaltPeter

1. Make sure that before you go shooting you take it apart and clean out the cosmoline out of it!!! I mean really clean it out!!! Take the bolt assembly apart, down to the firing pin and clean everything!!! I lot of people had difficulties because of cosmoline around the firing pin and its spring inside the bolt - it simply would not cycle right!

2. You might wanna look at THIS thread to clarify what those two mysterious settings on the gas regulator are! (if you do not already know...)

Have fun! :super:

To tell you the truth I do not remeber... I would not really need it anyway... I'm Russian - we had a special class in high-school (in 9th and 10th grades - every Friday!) on how to disassable and shoot AK! They timed us too - we had to do it in 14 secs. I still can do it with my eyes closed... (maybe not in 14 secs... in 25-30) :smoke: So, I'm no help as far as the manual... I can translate something for you if needed... :ph34r: