Help needed on my Saiga Mission

I really could use some help. I have bought 2 saigas a 223 and a 308 and have been researching things to do to them. How have all you guys moved the triggers ahead to get pistol grips on the gun. I bought a butt stock from gilberts guns that has a pastol grip on it an will bolt right on. but I really like all your guns better. are alot of you gun smiths ??

1. If I put on a AK 47 gas tubes and upper and lower end caps this will allow me to put on different hand guards (but may need to modify the insides of the guards alittle)

2. How do you move the trigger forward and put on a pistol grip.

3.Should you change the gas piston from the stock one.

4. How do you guys know all this great info!!!!

5. How do you know what to use and what to swap like the ar clip adapter

Thanks for any help

I really could use some help. I have bought 2 saigas a 223 and a 308 and have been researching things to do to them. How have all you guys moved the triggers ahead to get pistol grips on the gun. I bought a butt stock from gilberts guns that has a pastol grip on it an will bolt right on. but I really like all your guns better. are alot of you gun smiths ??

1. If I put on a AK 47 gas tubes and upper and lower end caps this will allow me to put on different hand guards (but may need to modify the insides of the guards alittle)

2. How do you move the trigger forward and put on a pistol grip.

3.Should you change the gas piston from the stock one.

4. How do you guys know all this great info!!!!

5. How do you know what to use and what to swap like the ar clip adapter

Thanks for any help

Welcome to the Saiga community. First, check the Tech Section of this forum. There is lots of great information on doing conversions. Second, I recommend that you check out Dinzagarms.com. Dinzag offers many great products that make Saiga conversions VERY easy (including gas tubes, and handguard retainers for the Saigas that allow AK furniture [sometimes needing modification, which he also does] to be used).

I am currently converting my Saiga .308. The pistol grip and trigger holes were already cut from the factory (just hidden under the trigger plate; remove the receiver cover and look at the bottom of the receiver from the inside to see if the holes are already there), so all I really had to do was to remove the internals (especially easy with the .308, you pretty much just push a couple of pins out after disengaging the retaining wire), remove the plate and trigger guard (just some simple drilling and Dremel work required), reposition the trigger guard (put one end under the mag catch tower and screw the other end down), and put on the stock and pistol grip (just bolt them on). Once I get the fire control group from Dinzag, I can just drop that in with ease. I did the minor touch-up painting required with Duplicolor low-gloss black (DE 1634) 500-degree engine enamel (its a pretty close match). In most cases, there is no reason to change the gas piston. By the way, I am not even remotely close to being a gunsmith. This is something you CAN do.

1) do a lot of research and reading

2) check you tube (seriously) there is a really good series of how to vids on there for converting a saiga, you know it is the good one if you hear a bay crying in the background as the guy does his conversion on the kitchen table (no - we are not all gun smiths)

3) i just did my first real conversion to pistol grip......it is not that hard with a drill, dremel and chisel (yes chisel, it really works - again read the tech section tips)

4) hope you get a gun with a pistol grip hole....mine didn't have that, that was the only hard part of the conversion, cutting that hole.

5)buy a new fire control group, look for a Tapco G2 trigger group, they work nice, there are better, but this works,

6)Make sure you are buying US made parts (tapco g2 is US made, buy a US made stock and US made Pistol grip, and you have enough parts to legally use high cap mags - READ UP on 922r - do a search)

7)to use those high cap mags you need a bullet guide, talk to Dinzag (dinzagarms.com) he's got you covered there.

take your time, swear a lot while doing it (this is like therapy).....

you don't need a new piston or gas tube or handguard, but you can do it if you want to. in that case, again, Dinzag is your guy to talk to.

AR mag adapter is a rare-ish breed, they can be found but you are likely better off looking for Galil orlite mags for the .223 or using the new Surefire .223 saiga mags.

kiss your savings goodbye!.....your wife and family too if you are not careful.....lol

welcome and goodluck!

I came to this forum about a month ago asking the same question. I did NOT want to convert, because I dont have any gunsmithing background. I read the tech section, check out the youtube link to the guy that does the whole conversion and jumped in with both feet. It took about 5 hours to do the PG conversion, put in a US made trigger group, and US buttstock and of course US PG. Man if I can do it ANYONE can do it. Get some good drill bits and a dremel and get to it! By the way all my parts were 96.00 shpped from the milsurpstuff website.

Do it man, you'll be happy, I love my SAIGA.

Welcome to the Forum!

Besides just the technical stuff, make sure you check the section on 922R compliance - that's the Federal law that regulates "semi-automatic assault weapons". You need to make sure that whatever you do to your Saigas will be legal. It's not too complicated, but understanding when the law kicks in and what you have to do to comply can take a little getting used to.

All in all, I think you'll find that you'll be happiest doing the full conversion and getting a full AK-style weapon. In any case, enjoy your guns and have fun!

Jim

WOW thanks for all the responses and quick at that to. I found a link on dinzag that has a step by step to do the PG swap. Both of mine have the old trigger holes but it does not look like they have they PG hole Is the PG hole where the trigger is now located on the guns or futher back.

After looking at the guys step by step website it does not seem that bad. What is the difference on the triggers with one hook or two ( i think thats right) the single works in the old trigger hole that is already there and if you use the double there needs to be another hole/slot cut out is one better than the other??

I am like a little kid I can not wait to do this thanks again

WOW thanks for all the responses and quick at that to. I found a link on dinzag that has a step by step to do the PG swap. Both of mine have the old trigger holes but it does not look like they have they PG hole Is the PG hole where the trigger is now located on the guns or futher back.

After looking at the guys step by step website it does not seem that bad. What is the difference on the triggers with one hook or two ( i think thats right) the single works in the old trigger hole that is already there and if you use the double there needs to be another hole/slot cut out is one better than the other??

The single hook will drop right in, the double will require you to cut the extra slot, like you mentioned. Or grind down the second hook, so the second slot is not needed. As far as if it's better, some people report a smoother pull, so it's up to you.

With my 7.62X39, the pistol grip hole is just in front of the original trigger. It is kind of hidden under the linkage piece connecting the original trigger to the rest of the fire control group. I think that the .223 is set up the same way. Look carefully, it may well be there. With the .308, the square pistol grip hole will also be a little bit in front of the original trigger hole. It may be hidden under the extension piece on the funky factory trigger, but I don't remember for sure. My understanding is that most all of the Saiga rifles coming in now have both the trigger and pistol grip holes. I hope yours do too. You can make the holes yourself if you have to, but it makes the conversion a bit harder. Good luck!

Edited by hogdog

You should also check out these videos: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=113D4D0386C4C639

They're a nice complement to the Cross-conn tutorial. If you want a PDF version of that website, email me (navy87guy@comcast.net) and I'll send you one (it's a little too big to be able to post here).

Jim

Has anyone seen the gas tube made by ultiMAK for an AK 47 it has a built in rail on the top of the tube and It replaces your old tube. The tube on my AK47 looks the same size as the ones on my 308 and 223 saigas can I swap them and use the ultiMAK

Edited by vtslateman
  • 4 weeks later...