Bullet guide installation cost

I'm planning on buying a 20" .223 in the near future as my first centerfire. I want to convert it - hopefully, my anti-gun dad would let me use his Dremel, although buying one for myself wouldn't exactly be a major expense - but I don't know if I'm going to add a bullet guide yet.

One of the reasons I'm thinking of not getting the guide is because, while I would like come hi-cap mags, the availability of low-capos is also important to me, and factory and Sure Fire mags would suit my purposes just fine (yes, I know that there are 12-round Galil magazines, but Im not sure of their availability and cost as compared to the Saiga mags). The main reason, though, is because I don't have a drill press. Does anyone know what a gunsmith might charge to install a bullet guide?

I'm gonna guess and say in the area of $60.00 to drill and tap the hole for you. If it were me(and at one point it was) I would just spend a little more money and buy a drill press. I bought a pretty nice one with a built in lamp and laser guide and shit at the Home Depot for $80.00

I haven't used it after that but I can guarantee you that I'll be drilling all my own bullet guide holes in the future.

The parking lot sale is the first weekend of the month. I got my 5 speed for $35 I think.

Oh but you do not need a drill press for a bullet guide. I used a hand drill on everything, just don't drill the hole crooked.

Edited by dyi
The parking lot sale is the first weekend of the month. I got my 5 speed for $35 I think.

Oh but you do not need a drill press for a bullet guide. I used a hand drill on everything, just don't drill the hole crooked.

Having a drill press makes it possible to drill nice straight holes all the time.

Having a drill press makes it possible to drill nice straight holes all the time.

Duh :chris: I have a drill press.

But the point is don't let not having a drill press stop you from the most mechanically advanced machine shop functions such as installing a bullet guide.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious...

Edited by dyi

ok so where's that dead horse animated gif when you need it :haha: give it up on the drill presses already. this isn't rocket science. its (1) 10-32 screw through maybe .25" of steel.

BeatDeadHorse.gif

Edited by dyi
I'm pretty much of average mechanical ability and installed one of Dinzag's guides with absolutely no problem with a hand held drill, and a corded one at that!

It's not difficult.

You can get a 10" 2/3hp Craftman drill press at sears right now for 89.99

damn you......now i want to go to sears......

trying to save money for guns, not more tools......my wife thinks i am crazy regarding both.......

I'm pretty much of average mechanical ability and installed one of Dinzag's guides with absolutely no problem with a hand held drill, and a corded one at that!

It's not difficult.

You can get a 10" 2/3hp Craftman drill press at sears right now for 89.99

damn you......now i want to go to sears......

trying to save money for guns, not more tools......my wife thinks i am crazy regarding both.......

It looks like a really decent press for the money. I checked out Harbor Freight, Northern Tool and Sears yesterday and the Craftsman seemed alot nicer than the other two. The NT one obviously looked better than the HF one as well.

I'm glad this came up, I've been contemplating this for a couple of weeks. If I can get a press cheap I will, but im gonna go ahead and order the guide, if I don't have a press by then I'm just gonna hope for steady level hands! :cryss:

Since this thread is all over the place, I get to add $0.06

First two pennies: You don't need a drill press. I have a pretty serious garage with yes, a drill press among other stationary equipment. I installed my bullet guide with a hand drill after center punching the trunnion. I used an 8-32 tap (by hand again). I know it's blaphamy, but that's the way it happened.

Second two pennies: Spend the money on the craftsman, or at least one not made in a communist country that is sucking up all the metals and driving up the price of ammo (ehem). I buy American made tools when I can, and NEVER buy chineese. Thats why I don't even bother to go to harbor freight anymore. Try to find something in there NOT made in china.

Third two: If your going to spend $60-$100 bux, have something to show for it. I have never regretted buying a tool in the long run, because even the ones that I say I will never use again.......I end up.......well, using again. I have however regretted giving money to a gunsmith, waiting two weeks and then getting it back and going Shit, I could have done that.

Edited by TackDriver