Breaking in new Saiga 12 advice please

My new 19" is coming tomorrow and I'm wondering what the best thing to do for it is, before and after I go to the range tomorrow night. I've searched the forums and couldn't find a break-in instructions thread but if somebody has seen one and can link me, it would be appreciated. I've heard you shouldn't clean a gun until you've put a hundred rounds through it, but I've also heard you should clean a gun before you shoot it the first time and on and on so hopefully someone can clarify for me the best steps to take for this new Saiga which I can't wait to shoot tomorrow night finally! Got a great deal on it from Jim's Firearms in Baton Rouge thanks to the tip on the "Anyone got Saiga 12's in stock" thread! After I shoot it, I'll "shoot it" and post some pics. I love gun pics, here's my "Chief's Special" photographed by yours truly:

post-3-1204167847_thumb.jpg

My advice is take your camera and get somebody to shoot you shooting it! The smile the first time you dump a whole mag is PRICELESS!

You shouldn't have to clean it before you shoot it. If it doesn't cycle then you know it needs it. Also be sure and use the correct gas settings....#1 for slugs and other high brass or magnum loads, and #2 for light stuff like #8 bird shot.

Have fun! :smoke:

I have followed the theory that one should clean off all cosmoline and oil and take it to the range dry. If it is dry and shoots well, you probably have a reliable gun. Shooting it dry will break it in faster with fewer rounds. After I break one in, I never shoot it dry. I like an oiled weapon for duty use reliability and rust prevention.

Good Luck and congrats on your Saiga!

Shoot the crap out of it. This works 2 ways;

1. If the gun initially shoots like crap, a few hundred rounds will smooth the crap out of it.

2. If you can't shoot for crap, a few hundred rounds will improve the crap out of your shooting.