Saiga .308....the other approach.

I recently purchased a 16" Siaga .308. I know the common approach is to convert these to a pistol grip "AK" configuration and that was my plan too.

Before sinking a lot of work and money into the rifle I took it out to make sure it would shoot straight. I was pleasantly surprised that it shot pretty well. I won't post MOA specifics because I think that they are meaningless on the internet with all the BS that gets posted. I will say that the accuracy is really good for a rack grade service rifle and a lot better than I expected from what is basically a bigger AK.

I also found that the trigger was not too bad. Two distinct stages and very smooth, just a tad heavy and with a fairly long travel, but a nice clean break anyway. Izmash (sp?) must spend a liitle more time on these than the stock military triggers, or I got lucky. Still, I believe that the trigger is a big part of shootable accuracy and I wouldn't mind upgrading it a little.

Long story short, after shooting this rifle I kind of liked it as is.... I could see that it would be more useful as a behind the truck seat rifle, around camp utility gun or even a hunting rifle in some applications.

So I decided to take exactly the opposite route that most Saiga Forum members go and I left it a sporter.

That doesn't mean I left it alone though, like most of us I have to tinker and customize.

I wanted a good general purpose scope that suited the rifle. I went with the Burris 2-7 Fullfield II, which has a nice range of power for a carbine and also has good features like target/tactical knobs under the covers and a multi-dot reticle. I added Butler Creek lens covers to protect it as a knock around gun.

I wanted it low over the rifle so I went with the low profile side mount imported from Belarus. This is a pretty nice side mount but its made in three pieces and needs Loc-tite.

The mounting was still high enough to screw up the cheek weld, so I added a Eagle stock pad with some dense foam underneath to form a comb. I will eventually replace the Burris rings with some lower profile types and bring the scope down a little bit more.

I believe a sling is essential and I wanted an adjustable two point 1.25 inch sling. Unfortunately the stock sling swivels are one thing on a Saiga that sucks, so I had to replace them with US style swivels.

100_3625.jpg

100_3622.jpg

Anyway, the only change I'm planning right now is to add a aperture rear sight from Krebs. I'm also considering moving back the FSB and adding a flashhider, just for a M14 type look.

I left my 308 completely stock also. My 223, however, is mildly dressed up. I have been extremely pleased with the accuracy and feel of my 308. My father who was an M-14 man back in his service days also really likes the Saiga in stock configuration because to him, that's what a rifle should look like (he has a thing against pistol grips, aluminum, and all things AR).

One of the nice things about this arrangement is that If you replace just 1 part (ie: the gas piston with a $35 - $40 US made one), you could leave it that way AND "legally" shoot all the Surefire mags (3 US parts each) in capacities greater than 10 rounds (ie: the 15, 20, 25 rounders) and still enjoy the factory mags too.

[Current production FBMG mags would require 3 US parts be swapped into the rifle to acheive the same end :ded: ]

Not saying that you should, mind you - It just gives you that flexability.

Macbeau sends...

Sharp looking rifle. I like the approach and was thinking of a very similar approach, except I was thinking of swapping out the stocks for wood ones with a high cheek comb and using a fixed powder 6X-40MM scope. Your posting changed my thinking a bit.

I'll likely go with the same brand scope you're using, as I already had the same mount on order. I'm going to try out the khaki version of the cheekpiece you're using as well and see if I can find a khaki sling to match. Wish they offered the buttstock pack with the bullet loops inside the pouch.

Regards,

Dave

Edited by DaveInGA
dont fbmg mags count as 2 U.S. parts? so all you need is 2 more U.S. parts to use fbmg mags

First run FBMG mags from late '06 to early '07 (with the aluminium base plates) are two US parts. The more recent ones (plastic base plates) only have one US part ... All of them use imported (factory Saiga) followers...

I did the same thing but went with 3x9. Gun is stock except for the sling mounts. It looks like my scope may be a bit lower as I can shoot it fine without a cheek piece, but I will likely add one.

The 16" is a great workhorse as is. My only issue is I hate the factory rear sight. Eventually I will replace it.

If I ever get the urge to modify one, I will buy another to do so.

New to Saiga's but not new to AK's and I'm trying to build one like yours. I'm planning to leave it stock except for a scope, sling and stock pouch. I'm not really looking for any hi-cap mags since it will be my truck gun and I'm thinking a few 8 rounders (Maybe converted to 10) will work for me.

What kind of accuracy can generally be expected for this sort of set up ?

I would say 2.5 through 4.5 MOA. Maybe a little better if you found a quality load that your rifle really liked. Effective for hunting out to 300, effective for social purposes beyond that. Not a match rifle but a good utility rifle. I think it would shine in a lot of the applications that people traditionally use the .30-30 lever actions for.

I see reports on the net of Saiga .308s shooting 1 MOA, but I am pretty skeptical.

What kind of accuracy can generally be expected for this sort of set up ?

I would say 2.5 through 4.5 MOA. Maybe a little better if you found a quality load that your rifle really liked. Effective for hunting out to 300, effective for social purposes beyond that. Not a match rifle but a good utility rifle. I think it would shine in a lot of the applications that people traditionally use the .30-30 lever actions for.

I see reports on the net of Saiga .308s shooting 1 MOA, but I am pretty skeptical.

I don't expect 1 moa , but 2-3 moa is just fine for rifle that would fill a DMR role . Even with 3 moa as an average , you should theoretically be able to engage out to around 600 yds or so for "social purposes" .

I have to reconsider my options .

Nice and if it fits your purpose great.

Accuracy really depends on your individual rifle and ammo although some things can help

A good trigger and polish will help some over the stock trigger.

finding the right ammo will to. Mine likes wolf gold

Mine really tightened up with the M60 flash hider attached, I didn't expect it to and don't know why ( perhaps stabilizing the bullet?). But I can get 1' groups at 100 yards on a good day, but 1.5 is a little more common for me. If I blast alot and it heats up it opens up some then. But even 2-3 MOA is fine for most shooting. Most hunting sitations will be under 200 yarda anyway. Under 100 yards is common and it wouldn't matter anyway at that point.

I thought about keeping a couple stock 16" S308s around as backups or "truck guns" but I remember hating that trigger more than just about any trigger I had ever felt.

Has anyone improved the stock trigger significantly?Half the reason I pistol gripped was to achieve a nice trigger pull and shorter length of pull because I am quite used to the M14 fiberglass stock and would not mind trying to duplicate it on a mostly stock Saiga one little bit.

I did nearly the exact same thing with one. I cut down the buttstock though and tapped the forward sling swivel to take an American stud and put a real sling on it. It is a hell of alot better rifle for behind the seat than a Mini 14 or SKS in my opinion and the price is right.