Saiga .308 VS a bolt action in .308

I've been planning on getting a bolt action rifle in .308 for hunting and was thinking about the possibility of adding a Saiga in .308 as well.

So I was thinking maybe I should just get the Saiga and add a scope and leave it pretty much stock.

So I'm looking for some feedback for some of you hunters on the forum who might have a Saiga and a bolt action in .308. My maximum distance where I've been hunting is about 200 yards. How much do you think I would be giving up in accuracy going with the Saiga??

I've been planning on getting a bolt action rifle in .308 for hunting and was thinking about the possibility of adding a Saiga in .308 as well.

So I was thinking maybe I should just get the Saiga and add a scope and leave it pretty much stock.

So I'm looking for some feedback for some of you hunters on the forum who might have a Saiga and a bolt action in .308. My maximum distance where I've been hunting is about 200 yards. How much do you think I would be giving up in accuracy going with the Saiga??

Generally,bolt action rifles are more accurate than semis. Both will shoot well out to +200 yds. Where I live, I can buy a Stevens(Savage) 308 bolt for $289 NIB and a Saiga for $389 NIB. So, for under $700 you can get both and even with optics, mounts and rings,you're still getting 2 good rigs for the money.

I will be running LC Match 308 ammo down a trial 308 RAAC is sending with me to the Florida shoot. I will include the results in the writeup I do after the shoot on each gun. I am looking forward to trying the 20 gauge out for the first time, as well.

I am expecting both guns to surpass my expectations.

Edited by Bvamp

When scoped I don't think you will give up too much PRACTICAL accuracy to a bolt gun. I'm not talking about shooting off the bench, but sitting, standing, improvised rests, etc. Besides that, why use not your 762x39? Sub 200 yards shouldn't be a problem for good factory ammo on whitetails.

Nov 07 Saiga 308, at 79 paces Federal Premium 150 grain Nosler Partition, field dressed @ 162lbs

DSC00200.jpg

Edited by Havoc308
When scoped I don't think you will give up too much PRACTICAL accuracy to a bolt gun. I'm not talking about shooting off the bench, but sitting, standing, improvised rests, etc. Besides that, why use not your 762x39? Sub 200 yards shouldn't be a problem for good factory ammo on whitetails.

Yeah x39 should be fine. I just haven't gotten my rifle sighted out to 100 yards yet so I've been using a friends Savage .308.

I was just thinking rather than getting two rifles in .308 to just get one.

i guess it depends how far out your gonna be shooting a critter...i'd like to say saiga is the way to go, but at 200 yards...i'd roll with the savage....good trigger, accurate, cheap.....but then again....with a saiga, if u miss, just unload the whole clip lol

Bolt action rifles are target shooting and hunting machines. Saiga's are basically fighting rifles in hunting clothes. You can hunt with them, but unless you're going up against dangerous game, I'd go with a bolt action instead.

As far as accuracy goes, figure that a good bolt action like a Remington 700 can usually do MOA if you find the ammo it likes and maybe free float or glass bed it. Some might do better, but MOA is pretty much the ballpark for a decent bolt action. A typical Saiga will do maybe 2 to 2.5 MOA. The thing is though that the bolt action will also be easier to shoot well. Most bolt actions come with good to excellent triggers that can be adjusted. Their balance is better. Optics mount more securely and the stock lines up with the optics better.

Personally, I'd get both. My two favorite platforms are the Remington 700 and the Kalashnikov.