I bought a Mossberg 500 as my first shotgun. It is looking pretty plain and homely next to my Wilson Combat. When I acquire a Saiga 12 it will look even more out of place. So, my question is, do you guys and gals suggest I convert it to a tactical shotgun, or sell it and buy something which is already more suitable to the task? I could replace it with a Saiga 12, or I was also thinking about an FN tactical shotgun or a Benelli. Assuming I don't convert it and I don't buy a second Saiga 12 (the first one is a given), any suggestions?

WJ

I guess it would come down to a question of purpose. What role does/would your Mossy fill? Personally, I'd probably be inclined to keep it as another home defense backup -- put an 18 in barrel on it, maybe a mag tube extension -- and you're good to go.

I can't see what you would need/want another semi-auto for, and I would be hard pressed to justify the expense of an FN Tactical over making the Mossy "tacticool".

Just my humble opinion -- because once you have your S12, you won't want anything else! :D

Jim

KEEP IT! It's a decent weapon, and you may need something "idiot proof" to hand to the brother in law, or other doofus you are stuck with sometime. It's a lot easier to bear loaning the Mossy than it would be to loan the Saiga!

Edited by G O B
KEEP IT! It's a decent weapon, and you may need something "idiot proof" to hand to the brother in law, or other doofus you are stuck with sometime. It's a lot easier to bear loaning the Mossy than it would be to loan the Saiga!

Excellent logic! You have convinced me. It stays, as is.

WJ

Edited by WarriorJudge

I also vote to keep the Mossy, they are good guns for the money and I also keep my 590 for "behind the door" detail, as opposed to my S-12.

My 500 is my skeet gun, it does its part if I do mine. Also a heck of a soft shooting pump for new people and an excellent one to let them take afield since it has twin beads. Alot more user friendly than my S-12s. That and it's my first gun, I'll never sell it.

• 1 month later...

Well, the Mossberg had a rather ignominious departure. As was noted, it was on consignment at a gun shop. It did not get any nibbles, so it was sold to a member. However, the shotgun was "lost" or "misplaced" or something, at the gun shop. Then, it was reported to be sold by the gun shop. So, the sale to our forum brother had to be terminated. However, I still have not been paid by the gun shop for the shotgun. I guess this is due to their hold policy on clearing funds from the buyer before releasing funds to the seller.

So, no more Mossberg. I've got the E-TAC shotgun due any day (I hope). I guess I'll keep the Wilson Combat. That should be enough to keep the zombies at bay until the need arises (or I give in to temptation) to order another shotgun or two).

Oh, tactical, mindset or appearance. I agree with that philosophy. However, my vision for making a shotgun "tactical" may vary from someone else's concept. I simply view it as a short barrel, 19 inches or less, shotgun, with a shell capacity in excess of five (either in or on the gun) and some form of enhanced sighting system for use in low or no light. A surefire would be my choice. Also, I'd put a sling on it, but that is clearly personal preference. These are things I would have done to the Mossberg had I kept it.

WJ

Edited by WarriorJudge