About the time Max went missing, a stray dog started hanging around. It was the day after laid Max to rest that we finally got close enough to pet her. My future DIL that's a vet tech came over to check her out. She has a swollen leg and she brought some antibiotics, pain medicine and flea and heart worm medication over. She says the dog is about a year old and just the absolute sweetest puppy I've seen. When she wags her tail, the whole whole body goes with it. We'll do some checking to see if we can find the owner, but no one around here is looking for her. She not a breed Cobra particularly wants but I think I've fallen for her. I just haven't come up with a name for her. I have some pics but I haven't had a chance to get them off my camera and onto my computer. Maybe soon.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if there can be such a thing as a "happy" ending to a story like this...I'm starting to take a liking to this sweet little mutt too. She did come around at a time when we both really needed something. I've always been a strict purebred dog person and the only dogs I ever had that weren't purebred Shepherds were a VERY expensive champion Rottie and my ex's Dalmation who came with a whole folder full of awards and ribbons. I'll have another big Shepherd one day and hopefully I can rescue it just like I did Max. I was so close to having another beautiful one to raise but I'm very happy that his owners found us and reclaimed him. That look in that little girl's eyes when they came to pick him up was enough to melt an iceburg. He was also quite happy to be going back to them and his buddy, their Rottie. I have some pictures to remember him by. I'll keep my eyes peeled and check the shelters and the local Shepherd rescue for my next big dog. I just have a thing for big dogs...always have.

This little girl has a lot of potential though! She's got a ton of energy when she plays but she can sit still there on her new favorite spot by the fireplace and be quiet for hours.

It was very strange how we met. Almost like it was meant to happen...I had seen her the day before we found Max but like Racegal said, she was way too shy to come close. Then when we were back there at the pet cemetary with the other Shepherd and we were burying Max, she ran all over the property like she was surveying it for her new home. You could tell then that she had no plans of leaving. She ran all the way around the pond and came up to us at the gravesite like she wanted to finally introduce herself, but the Shepherd pup was very anxious and stretching his rope trying to get to her. He barked one time and that was it, she hauled ass! She only ran back up to the house and hung around though, and before long she was down by the pond again looking for geese to chase (A BIG PLUS!!)

Well the people called and came and got the pup and we went back down to finish the service and down she came again! I could tell right then that she really liked us. She still was shy but was checking us out and wagging that tail....and her whole rear end...lol.

The next morning came and I went outside to the shop and she came right up to me, and actually followed me into the shop and watched me work. I went and got her the last of Max's food we had left and she ate like she hadn't eaten in days.

Gave her a rawhide when she was done and she munched that down too. The bond was made. It was then that I noticed the swollen spot on here lower leg where she had been bitten or cut somehow and it was infected. I took her up to the local animal hospital and had them take a look at it and had her scanned for a chip while I was there. Nothing...and the vet said she was underfed like she had been on the loose for awhile. Man did she like riding in the Blazer! Head stuck out the window, tongue flapping in the breeze! She has a great smile. If we don't find her previous family then it looks like she has a new home. She makes Racegal smile pretty big and that's got to be a good thing.

I've been calling her Brownie because the first pic I took of her inside the house, she had this brown dirty nose from rooting up one of Max's rawhide bones out in the planter bed. She looks like she's got some Shepherd in her and maybe some Lab, judging by her coat. What do y'all think?

This morning we gave her a name that hope she will like. I wish she could tell us what her real name is....We're gonna call her Sasha. I was looking at Russian names and Sasha is a "Russian unisex pet form of Aleksandra, which means Defender Of Mankind". Thought that was kind of neat.

Anyway I think that medicine I took for this swollen lymph node in my neck and the beers are starting to make me sleepy so here's some pics of the latest doggers in our life.

This is the little Shepherd pup that was here for a day and helped me find Max.

post-1293-1204952922_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1204952935_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1204952950_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1204952966_thumb.jpg

Here's little Sasha!

post-1293-1204953199_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1204950518_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1204950537_thumb.jpg

And here's where my buddy Max is resting now. Rest in peace my friend....

post-1293-1204953941_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1204953991_thumb.jpg

I am glad that your buddy lays near you. You know thats what he would have wanted. I did not even leave my BFD when after he died, I would not let him out of my sight, and sat there to recieve he ashes. I know quite fully, how much those "damn dogs" mean to you and me, and the rest of us, all too fully. When you dream of him, wake up happy. The memory of those that we truely love unconditionally that we have lost, are often all that we have. Our faithful companions can really hurt when we lost them. I know mine did. I really do feel for you, Cobra. If it helps, I actually asked, and I am told that animals are innocent souls, and will find thier way to heaven, and if we make the journey to the right place too, will be waiting for us, as innocent as the day we met them.......god has a special place reserved for animals, apparantly....

I had a "big wiggler" too!

shes gonna be an awesome dog! Just remember, shes got her own side to the story :) (you will understand this the more you have her around, trust me! I can already see it in that goddamned dog!!! :)

Im sorry, this pic is morbid, but I had to take it. I was there for my friend, and he was at peace. This pic is what you think it is.

He sits beside me now. His ashes stay in the room I sleep, and have done so since the day that he died.....

This is why I abuse the animal abusers, and why I am not liberal.......

post-83-1204967750_thumb.jpg

I'm just glad Cobra is taking a shining to her as I have for some time. I knew I wanted a 'rescued' dog and since this one was underfed and her collar was waay too tight, I knew she didn't have a home or anyone to give her love to. And she has so much to give.

Looks like the meds my DIL brought over are working. The swelling is going down and the wound is healing nicely. She can sure haul ass so is isn't hurting her anymore.

I wanted a southern name but Cobra convinced me to go with a Russian name. So she is Sasha Koliadko. I figured she ought to have my Russian last name rather than his Irish one. :rolleyes:

I'm glad to see you found a new buddy. She looks like a really nice dog! I'm not very good at saying things sometimes, so I'll just say this.

You probably mean as much to her as she will mean to you.

I'm glad to see you found a new buddy. She looks like a really nice dog! I'm not very good at saying things sometimes, so I'll just say this.

You probably mean as much to her as she will mean to you.

Oh, I think she does. We took her out running today and she had a blast. Must have ran about 2 miles while we only walked a couple of tens. Back and forth. She looked so happy. And she is already somewhat responding to the name we gave her yesterday. That doggie has alot of love to give and so do we.

Thanks guys, the support we both got here through all this means a lot to us. Yes I believe someone was definitely looking out for us and sent that little angel this way. Wow, never thought of that...Angel might have also been a good name.

GearHead that's cool that your dog's name is Sasha AND it's a Shepherd...wow, that just adds another ironic twist to this story.

She's one happy dog, I can tell you that! Next time we take her down to the creek I will have to shoot some video of her running. She goes freakin bananas! Runs like a deer and stops for nothing. When she comes up on a creek or a bridge she either clears the whole thing or plows right through it! Yesterday the water was high from a lot of rain the previous day. The little bridge we usually cross was under water about 6 inches and you couldn't tell there was a bridge for the muddy runoff. It's about an 8 foot bridge and with the water up it was probably 12 feet across the water. When she came up on it the first time she just bolted right across without slowing down and it looked like she running across the water..lol. Coming back across, she stopped when she got to the edge, started across and stopped in the middle. She was on an angle this time and when she started bolting again she ran right off the side and plunged into the water. That didn't even slow her down! She came rocketing out the other side like a croc shooting out of the water and never looked back. Never seen such an excitable animal. We just shook our heads and laughed. :lolol:

I'm still hurting pretty bad missing Max but it sure helps to have this little fireball now and to know she's happy now and not out there raiding trash cans to stay alive or risking being taken to doggie jail or being hit by a car.

Hello, Cobra and RaceGal

My guess is Max is smiling one big dogger smile from the Happy Hunting Grounds. Not only is another dogger enjoying your "Dog Heaven" environment, but you are "protected" by Sasha. Goodon'ya's!

Only three words of advice:

Spay; Heartworm Preventative.

The best,

guido2 in Houston

Hello, Cobra and RaceGal

My guess is Max is smiling one big dogger smile from the Happy Hunting Grounds. Not only is another dogger enjoying your "Dog Heaven" environment, but you are "protected" by Sasha. Goodon'ya's!

Only three words of advice:

Spay; Heartworm Preventative.

The best,

guido2 in Houston

My DIL took care of the heartworm medicine for us. And she said she's pretty sure she's been spayed although I plan on verifying that.

Cobra, Racegal, mutts need love too. I get them all of the time here where people stop and kick them out and drive away.

I wonder what the dogs think when their masters drive away and they chase the car wondering what is going on. Its sad really.

Good luck on your new dog, and I hope she helps ease the pain that both of you are feeling right now.

GearHead that's cool that your dog's name is Sasha AND it's a Shepherd...wow, that just adds another ironic twist to this story.

By the way thanks for the meaning of Sasha, I never knew that. I picked it just because I liked the name. But knowing the meaning now, makes me enjoy the choice a lot more, also it fits here well.... very protective.

Cobra, Racegal, mutts need love too. I get them all of the time here where people stop and kick them out and drive away.

I wonder what the dogs think when their masters drive away and they chase the car wondering what is going on. Its sad really.

Good luck on your new dog, and I hope she helps ease the pain that both of you are feeling right now.

I had that same thought last week when we both had to leave her for the first time to go into town or some errands. She tried to follow the truck away from the house and I literally had to floor it to get away. She chased us halfway down the road before stopping and heading back to the house.