Hi! My new Saiga 7.62 should arrive Monday or so. Its my first one. When I get a new gun, I usually take it apart, clean it thoroughly, oil it well, and repeat this procedure several times during the first 500-1000 rounds or so to aid in the break-in period.

But with a Saiga, is there a break in period? Will there be the usual factory grease to remove? and can anyone recommend a web page, site, or book on the proper cleaning of a Saiga? I really like to keep all my guns in tip top operating condition and clean. Also, doing this with new weapons helps me get to know the gun inside and out, better and better each time I take it apart and clean it.

Any other suggestions for what to do with a "new" rifle? Anything you guys can recommend to a newbie like me? (just new to the Saiga, I have several other guns). Thanks in advance!

David :smoke:

I doubt breaking it in will do much. I would field strip it though, like you said, to get to know the inner workings. I gave mine a quick cleaning before I shot it, but other than that, I just loaded it up and shot it.

Edited by 22_Shooter
Hi! My new Saiga 7.62 should arrive Monday or so. Its my first one. When I get a new gun, I usually take it apart, clean it thoroughly, oil it well, and repeat this procedure several times during the first 500-1000 rounds or so to aid in the break-in period.

But with a Saiga, is there a break in period? Will there be the usual factory grease to remove? and can anyone recommend a web page, site, or book on the proper cleaning of a Saiga? I really like to keep all my guns in tip top operating condition and clean. Also, doing this with new weapons helps me get to know the gun inside and out, better and better each time I take it apart and clean it.

Any other suggestions for what to do with a "new" rifle? Anything you guys can recommend to a newbie like me? (just new to the Saiga, I have several other guns). Thanks in advance!

David :smoke:

Hey bro. Just surf the million pages in this forum, and you'll get every single answer you're lookin' for. Break in will usually be established after your first 500 rounds.

Also, a recommendation I can make to you is another Saiga!

Remember AKs are best run a little on the dry side. I don't oil ANYTHING on mine, just a wipe with a slightly oiled cloth.

Wolf ammo has a lot of residue, if you have a bunch of oil for that crap to stick to you are going to have a real mess. If the gun is fairly dry the residue will just drift away as you keep shooting instead of building up.

One thing that is great is a little touch of moly paste on the receiver rails, mine have 750+ rounds on them and still have most of the paint. Remember just a little and then wipe it back off leaving just the slightest film.

Edited by csspecs

my personal thoughts, strip it down, give it a good wipe down with teflon type gun oil, and clean up any leftover residue...i shoot better stuff then wolf....but i like a small small film of a teflon type oil in the gun, action feels smooth. So try it your way, and figure it out from there, its pretty hard to hurt these guns

my personal thoughts, strip it down, give it a good wipe down with teflon type gun oil, and clean up any leftover residue...i shoot better stuff then wolf....but i like a small small film of a teflon type oil in the gun, action feels smooth. So try it your way, and figure it out from there, its pretty hard to hurt these guns

Roger that, thanks! :smoke: