Manual Bolt-Hold-Open for Saiga

if you dont want to do any work you could get the safety that holds the bolt open

boltlock.jpg

i was thinking about one of these, but i dont really have a use for it.. only thing would be good for me is putting the mags in, which i've mastered by doing it over and over while hunting in the dark.. this kind is also ghetto design, but i guess it works

maybe someone here has one, and they would care to add

Edited by JesusCow
well i'm now being tempted to do one of these mods whenever you have them in stock again..

when's that gonna be?

Wednesday or Thursday!

Can the trigger for the ak 47 be switched with the trigger for the

Saiga shotguns?

Would it give a smoother action or help acuracy?

Yes it can, and it would... But pistol grip is illegal on the Saiga shotgun, and you will not reach it otherwise... maybe you can get away with a thumbhole stock...

Wednesday or Thursday!

hmm, i've been looking at your pictures. how hard is it to do? with little knowledge

Yes it can, and it would... But pistol grip is illegal on the Saiga shotgun, and you will not reach it otherwise... maybe you can get away with a thumbhole stock...

if one were to do this would this bolt-hold-open device continue to function properly?

Edited by JesusCow
hmm, i've been looking at your pictures. how hard is it to do? with little knowledge

Took me about 3-4 hours first time I ever did it...(less than an hour now that I installed 3 of them...) I'm not a gunsmith - I'm an ex-auto-mechanic...

if one were to do this would this bolt-hold-open device continue to function properly?

well... you 'd need to modify the part a just a little... but it will... I'm also working on an AK-style part that is a little different in istallation... maybe a bit simplier...

• 2 weeks later...

hey makc, i've been looking at the pictures and trying to figure out exactly how/where it goes in :)

it looks like i have to take out the trigger system. i have never done this before, but it looks like there are 2 pins. can someone point me in the right direction or help me so i will be able to get it back together easily?

i havent got out my dremel yet so im just looking and learning

any help is appriciated, thanks!

edit: is there anything i do (after field stripping) before i remove the pins? and do i have to remove them all the way or can i just get the front one through the hole in this part? i guess it would be a good idea to gut it to do any cutting...

let me know :clover:

Edited by JesusCow
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

geez, i cannot push these pins out. is there something i had to do before i attempt to hammer them out?

edit: i'm thinking it of taking it to a local gunsmith and asking him to do it for me (at least get the pins out). also, see what he says about getting rid of the fixed choke

Edited by JesusCow

yay i got it, i'll let you know how it's doin once i do the real work

edit: finally got the hole done. i went to two local hardware shops looking for cutting wheels... they're too expensive for me :) so i used a drill and made a ghetto hole :D here's a shot of it.

one question, where does the retraction spring go in? i cant tell from you pics

once i figure that out, wish me luck on getting the hammer and fcg back in :clover:

bolthold.jpg

Edited by JesusCow

crazy.. The other night I went to see a Sweedish metal concert here in Texas. Afterwards I called my friends to drink, but they were going to leave soon and planned on going shooting the next day. I was sad about not getting any alcohol and worried about getting my Saiga together. Well, I got home and it went together without any problems. Just got to give it the right touch or it'll get frustrating.

Anyways, I went out and fired about 40 rounds into some cacti, stumps, and a few birds. All I want now is to figure out how to get the "retraction spring" in, I can't imagine exactly how it works and I need some description! please help!

Also, has anyone used a Red Star Arms shepard's crook replacement found on this page?

Edited by JesusCow

Well I tried just installing the device and ignoring the spring but I'm having some trouble. The hammer seems to be a little off-center (towards the left) because of the extra piece in there, making it hard for me to get the pin all the way in.

Was this piece tested on a Saiga 20? Is it possible it is too thick and not allowing the pin to go in because the hammer and the device are too wide? I took off the wire linking system and put the hammer and device in and it appears it's a little too thick... crap, what can I do?

Here's a shot of how close I am to getting the pin through. It just needs a few more mm.

pin.jpg

Edited by JesusCow

You should have done grinding on the hammer not the BHO... it would have worked a bit better... but it would work like this too...

This is how the spring goes in - between the BHO and the receiver wall.

The yellow dot is where the hook is.

Spring.jpg

You should have done grinding on the hammer not the BHO... it would have worked a bit better... but it would work like this too...

This is how the spring goes in - between the BHO and the receiver wall.

The yellow dot is where the hook is.

yeah, you're right. dammit...

alright let me see if i can get this spring in easily

edit: ok, all done but it doesnt do anything. the button kinda locks a little because the hook is making contact on the inside wall. damn! what the hell?

Edited by JesusCow
  • 2 weeks later...

When I take my Saiga to be drilled for chokes I will ask the guy to look at it. I believe it is installed correctly, but it doesn't work. I'm going to clean up the 'hole' I drilled with a Dremel tomorrow.

edit: i just cleaned up the hole nicely with a grinding stone. once i get my check cashed im going to have it drilled for chokes

edit2: ok im about to go start a new bank account (FUCK BANK OF AMERICA) and take my Saiga to a local gunsmith, pay him $100+ for it to be drilled, as well as a full choke and a skeet choke. i've re-insatlled Makc's piece and i'll see what he says about it

Edited by JesusCow