so last night i tried to do the BG installation.... i drilled the hole, then tried to use the tap but turned/bent it too hard and snapped the tip off in the hole. I cant get it out for the life of me. I couldnt even drill it out. :cryss:

has this ever happened to anyone? or does anyone have some idea how i can get it out? im worried about makeing the hole too big, i want the screw to stay in there when i get it out.

so last night i tried to do the BG installation.... i drilled the hole, then tried to use the tap but turned/bent it too hard and snapped the tip off in the hole. I cant get it out for the life of me. I couldnt even drill it out. :cryss:

has this ever happened to anyone? or does anyone have some idea how i can get it out? im worried about makeing the hole too big, i want the screw to stay in there when i get it out.

taps are brittle, take a punch & hammer and strike it. is should shatter, then get a new tap and continue threading

You're not the first to have this happen. Search is your friend.

I had it happen and went old school...

saiga556_658.JPG

yeah it happened so easily that i knew i couldnt be the only one. ill try to break it with a punch. naolith how did you attach it? what kind of tools are needed?

maybe i can just cement it in there somehow if i cant get it off? hmmmm

thanks

I have no clue, but I'm guessing that Dinzag sent a screw with the kit.

Go to your local Ace hardware store, they have a metric screw gauge. The helpful old guy that works there will help you retrieve the proper tap.

does anyone know what tap i need to buy that matches the one in dinzags kit?
yeah it happened so easily that i knew i couldnt be the only one. ill try to break it with a punch. naolith how did you attach it? what kind of tools are needed?

maybe i can just cement it in there somehow if i cant get it off? hmmmm

Just so everyone is on the same sheet of music, that is a rivet.

I took a center punch and shattered the remnants of the tap out of the hole.

I pulled the handguard off and stuck my dished backing plate that came with my bolt cutter rivet tools up under the hole in the trunnion from the front, then stuck a small piece of bar stock into the receiver and then stuck a wedge in so it pivoted off the bottom piece of stock and held the backing plate in place.

I then went to town with the hammer on the topside (as you can see).

It ain't purty, but it works just fine.

Shatter the tap that's in there, get a 8-32 screw and tap, and drill accordingly. Use fluid and good luck the second time around. 8-32's are a little harder to break.

Remember, worst case senario, you drill through, forget tapping it and put a nut under the trunnion.

I decided to just go ahead and drill the hole with a hand drill. I went real slow, making sure I kept the drill straight. I didn't have a tap handle, so I just decided to put the tap in the drill, and go even slower with that, and I kept backing it out to get the shavings out. Everything came out perfect, so all that's left to do is test fire it, and Loctite it. :super:

I decided to just go ahead and drill the hole with a hand drill. I went real slow, making sure I kept the drill straight. I didn't have a tap handle, so I just decided to put the tap in the drill, and go even slower with that, and I kept backing it out to get the shavings out. Everything came out perfect, so all that's left to do is test fire it, and Loctite it. :super:

Actually a hand drill is pretty decent, if it has a slip clutch. Just get the tap lined up with the drilled hole.

NYC.DenseCity, what caliber is it? The 223 guides can be reworked for 10-32 hardware if you need to go larger.

The x39 guides have very little bolt to guide clearance to use a larger fastener, but possibly an 8-32 button head cap screw will work. Let me know if you need rework, hardware and/or drill & tap via email - dinzzag @ yahoo.com

Actually a hand drill is pretty decent, if it has a slip clutch. Just get the tap lined up with the drilled hole.

Mine doesn't have a slip clutch, as far as I know :unsure: . I swear this drill is from the 60's, with puke green plastic and all :lol: . But after doing it, I got the "I shoulda done it sooner" feeling, much like the conversion itself.

NYC.DenseCity, what caliber is it? The 223 guides can be reworked for 10-32 hardware if you need to go larger.

The x39 guides have very little bolt to guide clearance to use a larger fastener, but possibly an 8-32 button head cap screw will work. Let me know if you need rework, hardware and/or drill & tap via email - dinzzag @ yahoo.com

Dinzag comes through again! :super:

Couple things:

1. There is a new standard in here. We must all try to compete with Mr. 22 Shooter. Using a hand drill to drill the hole in the trunnion WAS a sure sign of masculinity and big balls. The bar has been raised. He used his drill to run the tap in and out! I am impressed, sir, and must say you have a brass set!

2. NYC ; I can confirm that an 8-32 button head socket (allen) screw will clear the bolt IF you (just barely) file the top of the screw so that it's flat.

Couple things:

1. There is a new standard in here. We must all try to compete with Mr. 22 Shooter. Using a hand drill to drill the hole in the trunnion WAS a sure sign of masculinity and big balls. The bar has been raised. He used his drill to run the tap in and out! I am impressed, sir, and must say you have a brass set!

Are you being a sarcastic prick, or am I not picking up your humor? Kinda hard to tell with text.

Edited by 22_Shooter

Brian....this is why you are the MAN!.....you are the king of customer service.....

been signing your praise over on XDtalk lately.

keep up the good work.

Couple things:

Are you being a sarcastic prick, or am I not picking up your humor? Kinda hard to tell with text.

That sounded a little shitty to me too. I think its pretty incredible that you pulled that off with an old drill. The old one I have would have snapped that sucker.

You must be nice and steady brother. :super:

I have often used a hand drill for the same thing. Drilling a hole for a screw in the trunnion is nothing. It would take longer to set it up in the drill press than it would be worth, when all you have to do is center punch it and drill it out on the workbench (or pool table like I did my first one...)

Using a hand drill to tap a hole is very common and it happens to be the way I always do it with smaller taps. You can keep the center axis consistant and not have to let go of a tap handle every turn and try to keep it straight.

It does help a lot to have a variable speed drill and even more if it has a clutch.

If people are going to make wise ass sarcastic remarks they should use the smilies. That's what they are for. It helps us figure out who needs their dicks stepped on to try and keep them in line.

If making honest positive statements, then it's not necessary to go overboard with bold print and capitalization. It only confuses the issue and makes people think you are being a wise ass.

I have the rifle at a friends place and he has a huge shop and a lot of tools so I'd probably use his drill press...

but just for future reference what would you set the clutch to...? My drill has settings from 1 through maybe 14 & DRILL

Couple things:

That sounded a little shitty to me too. I think its pretty incredible that you pulled that off with an old drill. The old one I have would have snapped that sucker.

You must be nice and steady brother. :super:

Hey, thanks man. Just so it's known, I wasn't bragging or anything. I was simply stating that I had given up on the idea of buying a little press just for this job, that would probably not get used for anything else, and went ahead with the hand drill.

I have often used a hand drill for the same thing. Drilling a hole for a screw in the trunnion is nothing. It would take longer to set it up in the drill press than it would be worth, when all you have to do is center punch it and drill it out on the workbench (or pool table like I did my first one...)

Using a hand drill to tap a hole is very common and it happens to be the way I always do it with smaller taps. You can keep the center axis consistant and not have to let go of a tap handle every turn and try to keep it straight.

It does help a lot to have a variable speed drill and even more if it has a clutch.

Yeah, I was actually at Home Depot for something else, when I picked up a tap handle for doing the bullet guide. Then I put it back down, and said to myself "You've already bought enough tools for conversions, that will get no use elsewhere." :D My main concern was the using the tap in the drill, after reading quite a few stories of people snapping them off in the hole.

If people are going to make wise ass sarcastic remarks they should use the smilies. That's what they are for. It helps us figure out who needs their dicks stepped on to try and keep them in line.

If making honest positive statements, then it's not necessary to go overboard with bold print and capitalization. It only confuses the issue and makes people think you are being a wise ass.

+1.

Edited by 22_Shooter

22 shooter. It was a compliment and a joke. I'm sorry that no one picked up on it. Guess it got lost somwhere in the keyboard.

I will try to use smilies next time.

I really never thought someone would get offened by me saying that they had enough testicular fortitude to chuck a tap in the hand drill and go at it. Who knew.

22 shooter. It was a compliment and a joke. I'm sorry that no one picked up on it. Guess it got lost somwhere in the keyboard.

I will try to use smilies next time.

I really never thought someone would get offened by me saying that they had enough testicular fortitude to chuck a tap in the hand drill and go at it. Who knew.

Hey, no worries man. I wasn't offended, I was just surprised at the out-of-nowhere-wisecrack.

CockDriver was kind of fucked up though.

True, true. I was just returning the sarcasm. Maybe a lil overboard. :D I took it out of the post.

Back on topic: NYC, you ever get the problem resolved?

Edited by 22_Shooter

Wow! Talk about timely! Larry Potterfield of MidwayUSA just had an "American Rifleman Tip" on tapping just the other day!

Like Larry said, "1/4 turn in, back it out, 1/4 turn further, back it out. And use plenty of oil!"

:super:

Bill