S12 or S20, worth $200 extra?

I'm currently in the market for a saiga shotgun. I'm trying to figure out why the S12 is consistently $200 more? (talking about NIB, unconverted). Is it just due to the owner being able to say "I own an S12" or are there more after market mods available?

I'm currently in the market for a saiga shotgun. I'm trying to figure out why the S12 is consistently $200 more? (talking about NIB, unconverted). Is it just due to the owner being able to say "I own an S12" or are there more after market mods available?

12 is just more popular

I just bought an S-12 last week when I had several opportunities to buy an S-20 prior to that.

Deciding factor for me was availability of reliable magazines and the cost of them. I'm a huge fan of 20 gauges and think they don't get the respect they deserve, but after lurking in the S-20 forum, I decided to wait for the 12s to come in.

Of course, now that I have a 12, I'm considering a 20 to keep it company.

Lots more stuff available for the S-12 and it doesn't seem to be as picky regarding the cheap Walmart ammo. I love my S20 dearly but I can't get it to reliably cycle the cheap Walmart stuff (I've done all the mods and break in too) which makes plinking quite a bit more expensive.

I love my S-20, its compact, controllable and some serious firepower. However the lack of high cap magazines infuriates me (and the thought of gambling $100 worth of factory mags to get 1 9rd mag makes me sick). I would get a 12ga if I had to do it again. However if the s20 10rd and 20rd mags make it out this fall... then I will be very happy with my purchase.

• 1 month later...

yeah, 20s are for girls :ded:

massad ayoob did a video where he compared the 20 and the 12. both had the same amount of impact penetration, with the 20 having less felt recoil.

see Lethal Force Institute - Stress Fire - Volume 2 - shotgun around the 19 minute mark.

if it weren't a 521mb file i'd post it some where and let you all watch it, but for now you'll just have to google it.

20ga vs 12 ga = 55% of the felt recoil of the 12 gauge. 23 minutes into the video

Edited by jailbait
Lots more stuff available for the S-12 and it doesn't seem to be as picky regarding the cheap Walmart ammo. I love my S20 dearly but I can't get it to reliably cycle the cheap Walmart stuff (I've done all the mods and break in too) which makes plinking quite a bit more expensive.

I found with that that it's the case that they use for the cheap Walmart stuff. The bottom brass part is too tall and that's what makes it hang up. I run Fiocchi brand shells through mine because they have a much shorter bottom brass part and they cycle flawlessly.

I love the S20 I have, but I'm sure if I had the oppurtunity to get an S12 for a reasonable price, I'd scoop it up quick. Much broader range of aftermarket parts and magazines, plus much wider variety of shells to run through it.

I'll never get rid of my S20 though :)

• 1 month later...

I only see one benefit to getting a 12, and that more parts such as high cap mags and drums. Is that worth an extra $200. Especially that high cap mag should be coming out soon for the S20?

Hey kbondra nice brake on your saiga does it reduce muzzle rise effectively?

Edited by AK-fanaddict

The $200 will be quickly amortized in time and the 20 will never be worth what the 12 is. The 12 is the best investment. Add in the far wider range of accessories and it is really a no brainer.

I am struggling with this topic. Everyone has raised good points. However, wouldn't an S-20 be a nice complement to the S-12? I am assuming that it will have significantly less recoil and you would have commonality of controls. I am beginning to think there is probably more to commonality than one would think at first blush. I mean, why keep a Saiga by the bed, then practice with a Mossberg or Remington, or whatever, and then when the chips are down, grab the Saiga, and have different controls, and have to even think about where the safety is, etc. I think I'd rather just fire only one style of shotgun. Is this valid logic? If it is, you could practice more with the S-20, have a less sore shoulder, and keep the round count lower in your S-12. Are these valid considerations?

I will likely only have two or three Saiga shotguns in my collection. It seems like an S-20 would have a place in that group.

Now, I have not yet priced 20 gauge shotgun shells. Is there a decent price savings, or are they almost the same price as 12 gauge?

WJ

• 2 months later...

One reason I decided on 12s instead of 20s is the cost of buckshot and slugs for a 20. birdshot costs aobut teh same, but S&B and other companies that make economical buck and slug loads for the 12 don't have anything for the 20. That means it is $3.50/box of five for 20 gauge, which is almost twice what it costs to shoot similar (but more potent) 12 gauge loads.

I will get a .410 before a 20, simply because the difference in recoil is so great that a .410 can easily be used by very small women and young people. While neither are currently "attached" to me, they will be some day, Inshallah.

At one point I had 2 of each - 12 and 20 gauges... plus a .410. I traded one of each 12 and 20 for an AR-15... back when they were in the $299.00 range or less...

Now, I have 1 S-12 and 2 S20's again... dont plan to sell any of them off, and if ever possible, just add to the total...

I love all three of them, and all have their places, especially if you are a hunter. Lots of times the 20 will do perfectly, when a 12 is too much, and a 410 just isn't quite enough...

:smoke: