Field Stripping the .308

I was able to field strip the .308-no problem. However, I am now having problems reassembling it. I can't figure out how the inner bolt is positioned in the main bolt. No matter how I position it-can't get it to fit. Can someone supply a picture of how it is positioned? I am a newbie and things like this don't come easy to me. Thanks

Patience, pissy one,

it doesn't fall in like the x39.

It takes more work.

The bolt has to be forward in the carrier, or it won't clear the rear of the reciever.

It's still tricky, fighting hammer spring and space, but the lugs on the bolt will fit through the cutout in the reciever.

Get a little angry.

Patience, pissy one,

it doesn't fall in like the x39.

It takes more work.

The bolt has to be forward in the carrier, or it won't clear the rear of the reciever.

It's still tricky, fighting hammer spring and space, but the lugs on the bolt will fit through the cutout in the reciever.

Get a little angry.

ROFL!!!!! :lolol:

Good one bro! Can I use that!?

I think he's asking how the bolt fits in the carrier.

take the bolt and stick it in the hole in the carrier as far as it will go (probably no more than a half inch or so) rotate it the same direction you would if you were screwing it into the carrier until the lug allows it to slip further into the hole. Keep turning it and wiggling it until it slips into the groove in the carrier. That's it!

Now to get the bolt and carrier back into the gun, slide the bolt as far forward as it will go and begin inserting the gas piston into the tube. When the back of the carrier reaches the back of the receiver where you pulled it out, push down on the carrier and fit it through the opening. You'll be fighting the hammer spring, do don't be afraid to use a little force. Mine snaps when it gets onto the rails and I can then push it forward into battery and install the recoil spring. I hope my directions weren't too cryptic.

Cheers,

Acer

Acer said it right on. Let this be a visual supplement to what he was saying.

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c198/dea...cture35041a.jpg

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c198/dea...cture35043a.jpg

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c198/dea...icture35038.jpg

The Slide the bolt down into the hole in the bolt carrier, now rotate the bolt until the green node matches the bottom of the red slot, wiggle in, and turn the bolt moving it up fully into the red node. The bottom link there is for the completed bolt/bolt carrier. Again, here for visual aid, acer's details are right on.

This Youtube video helped me...

Search Youtube for "field strip AK47" for similar videos that may help. Good luck.

By the way, do have patience. Expecting people to respond with helpful information within 45 minutes is unrealistic and bordering on rude.

I am still looking for that forum but decided to stick it out here for the time-being. I realize I was being unrealistic but I was tired and wanted to get the rifle reassembled before I went to bed. My apologies to the group!!!

Expecting people to respond with helpful information within 45 minutes is unrealistic and bordering on rude.

+1, any luck finding that new forum?

I just field-stripped and reassembled mine (a 308-1 16") for the first time this morning. I bought it NIB, but I wanted to familiarize myself with the works, and make sure it was cleaned and lubricated before I took it to the range for the first time (which will be Thursday, Lord willin' and the creek don't rise).

Reassembling isn't the easiest job in the world, for reasons stated above, but I finally worked it out. Taking a good look at the bolt and working out that the "radiused" portion of the bolt needed to face the carrier was part of it. The photos in the stock manual aren't much good. Herr cobblermachen's photos are better. The only thing I didn't do was mess with the gas tube cotter pin. Maybe next time. ;)

Edited by MiddleAgedKen

Yeah, the first time I field-stripped and re-assembled my first AK-variant (PSL) I remember bitching to a friend of mine that it was a pain in the ass. He kinda looked at me with a blank expression and said "dude, it's got 4 main parts". He was absolutely right, compared to an AR, much quicker.

You'll get a lot faster at it with time, it helps me to put the muzzle down on my foot and let gravity do most of the work (holding the bolt forward in the carrier, etc.) when re-assembling it.

Hmm, this is strange... Are all Russian peasants more mechanically inclined then American? Geez, maybe there should be an IQ test before you buy a Saiga or any AK build. There goes the myth of American technical know how.

And before you flame me consider how many untrained troops have used this system and for how long.

Hmm, this is strange... Are all Russian peasants more mechanically inclined then American? Geez, maybe there should be an IQ test before you buy a Saiga or any AK build. There goes the myth of American technical know how.

And before you flame me consider how many untrained troops have used this system and for how long.

I'm not gonna flame, but I have to wonder if any of the muslim cavemen ever clean their rifles! I mean you never really have to clean them ( although I do ) if you don't want. Plus consider that in the military, you're taught to field strip your rifle and do it daily. Figuring it out on your own is alittle different.

Maybe if we had more Russian PVT's in basic training day 1 posting here, we would hear more people asking questions about how to field strip and reassemble.

I hear 44rdvark got chased off by some dick

Edited by shaneman153a

I'm not gonna flame, but I have to wonder if any of the muslim cavemen ever clean their rifles! I mean you never really have to clean them ( although I do ) if you don't want. Plus consider that in the military, you're taught to field strip your rifle and do it daily. Figuring it out on your own is alittle different.

Well, in the US military you get taught to clean your rifle every day as it will have a stoppage otherwise. When I was in USMC boot camp our M-16A1s would start to rust by evening in the tropical climate of South Carolina. AKs are a bit tougher. The muslim "cave" men do take care of their arms, maybe not the inspection grade care anyone in the modern military is taught but they do clean their guns. The Afghan tribesmen know a weapon is your life, been that way for centuries there. The usual field method there is to tie a few knots in a rope, dip it in gasoline or diesel fuel, then pull it through. Laugh if you want but it works. Don't equate their lack of TVs and other implements of modern western life as a lack of understanding, intelligence or sophistication. During the so called Dark Ages their civilization developed and maintained knowledge and technology that Europe had a hard time catching up to later. Arabic texts on medicine, astronomy and mathematics are still a wonder of their time period. Funny what achievements a people can do when their religion forbids drinking and whoring under the pain of death. They also did managed to fight the Soviets to a standstill and may still prove to do the same to the US. Failure to know and respect one's enemy is a sure way to underestimate him and leads to certain defeat.

There was no disrespect of an enemy - simply a statement of the difference between a kid on an online forum not knowing how to fieldstrip a rifle and a recruit who has been trained. I also questioned if this platform (the AK) ever HAD to be cleaned. I have several, love them, and respect them. While I clean my all the time, I have buddies who never do - intentionally.

Please don't read anything in to my posts. Thanks.