.308 - 7.62 x51 - 7.62 NATO

Welcome to the forum.

The biggest difference is in pressure.

7.62x51 (7.62 NATO) has max pressure of 50,000 psi.

.308Win can max up to 62,000 psi.

Headspace on the NATO round is (go/no-go): 1.6350/1.6405.

Headspace on .308Win round is 1.6300/1.6340

More details here:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/3...2nato/index.asp

The rule of thumb is you can shoot 7.62NATO in a .308Win chambered rifle but you're not supposed to shoot .308Win in a 7.62NATO or 7.62x51 chambered rifle (typically mil-surp).

The Saiga is chambered in .308 so it can shoot both. As a matter of fact both calibers are stamped on the side of the receiver.

Hope that clears things up.

Thanks GunnyR (4 the welcome as well)

Your response had me check my rifles... Ishapore Enfield Jungle is 7.62 and Valmet 76 is stamped .308 Win. I'll keep the .308 away from that tanker carbine.

My retired Capt went by the nickname of GunnyG... so I take it you were /are a Gunnery Sargent?

I've always thought they were the same round ( like .223 & 5.56 NATO ) however some posts seem to treat them as if they are different rounds.

Am I mistaken?

BTW, .223 Remington and 5.56 Nato (5.56x45) are NOT the same round, even though they interchange easily and safely with most weapons.

Thanks GunnyR (4 the welcome as well)

Your response had me check my rifles... Ishapore Enfield Jungle is 7.62 and Valmet 76 is stamped .308 Win. I'll keep the .308 away from that tanker carbine.

My retired Capt went by the nickname of GunnyG... so I take it you were /are a Gunnery Sargent?

Yes, semi-retired I suppose. I'm still considered Individual Ready Reserve until 2009. I hope to have put on about 50 pounds of beergut and hair to my kneecaps by then.

Thanks for the info regarding the .223 - 5.56 rounds...

I've been using them interchangeably for years. I'm glad I've found this forum... always something new to learn.

Incidentally... I have a 10 day wait before I can bring the Saiga .308 home.

Edited by tonelar