Scope mounting problems on my Saiga with AK quick release mount

So - I bought a Saiga 7.62 x 39. What a sweet gun. Then I decided it needed a scope.

I bought the Leapers 5th GenQuick Detachable AK Side Mount with Double Rails (MNT-978). I mounted an inexpensive Bushnell Banner 1-4x32 scope using Weaver style rings and presto - I can't get sighted in. The gun shoots low, and even adjusting the scope to its maximum elevation I am still 3 inches low at 25 yards. Left right was no problem, just minor adjustments, but the elevation is a big problem.

I reset the scope elevation to its midpoint and then used a laserpointer to shoot across my living room and down the bore (think of it as inverse bore-sighting)! Sure enough, there is a clear divergence between the barrel and the scope line of sight. The scope is roughly 3 inches above the bore, but at 17 feet (the length of my living room) the scope is looking 6 inches above the line of the bore. This is a pretty serious divergence (over 50 inches at 100 yds), and cannot be corrected with the elevation controls

I realize that this means the scope is not even close to parallel to the bore, and that the rear of the scope tube needs to be raised, but my question is, how do I do that to bring the scope into some semblance of alignment?

If I shim the rear ring (and keep in mind this is a pretty big shim!) I am afraid I will stress the scope tube. Do I have to put some other type of one-piece base on the picatinny and shim that? (The negative with that is that the scope is already pretty high!) Or is there a one-piece set of rings for a picatinny rail? If so, then I suppose I could shim the rear of that.

Or is there some other way to solve this problem?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Clearly the top of the mount must be out of line with the bore, but it doesn't look obviously out of line. Lifting the back of the scope while being "inverse boresighted" make it clear that I need to raise the back of the scope something like 1/16 of an inch.

What I suspect is that the side mount part of the Saiga itself (the part the scope mount slides into) is probably not square with the bore causing the top of the mount (and therefore the scope) to be out of line with the bore.

And I don't think equal height higher rings will help - they will still be misaligned. I suppose I could try to get one higher ring for the rear, but I think my scope tube would be at some risk of being crimped.

The thing is - this mount seems ideal. I have taken it off and put it back on several times and it comes right back very close to the same point of aim. I really want to use it, but I have to figure out how to get the back end of the scope up without crimping the tube.

I dont think i would try using two rings of dissimilar height, even if it didnt actually crimp the tube, putting that kind of stress on it couldnt be good for the optics. i dont know if you would be interested, but if i couldnt find some sort of adjustment, either on the mount, or shimming the tube, (both front and back) id probably try to tilt the sidemount on the receiver. I dont have alot of experience with optics on the ak sidemounts, though, and im sure im overlooking something, hopefully someone will chime in.

Clearly the top of the mount must be out of line with the bore, but it doesn't look obviously out of line. Lifting the back of the scope while being "inverse boresighted" make it clear that I need to raise the back of the scope something like 1/16 of an inch.

What I suspect is that the side mount part of the Saiga itself (the part the scope mount slides into) is probably not square with the bore causing the top of the mount (and therefore the scope) to be out of line with the bore.

And I don't think equal height higher rings will help - they will still be misaligned. I suppose I could try to get one higher ring for the rear, but I think my scope tube would be at some risk of being crimped.

The thing is - this mount seems ideal. I have taken it off and put it back on several times and it comes right back very close to the same point of aim. I really want to use it, but I have to figure out how to get the back end of the scope up without crimping the tube.

I cant get my side mount to keep zero. the recever and rail flex side to side. I am thinking of going to the beryl style mount.

I am assuming that your scope mount has some sort of picaninny or weaver rail. My rail comes off of my mount. If that is the case, I would remove the rail, and remove 1/16 of an inch from the front. Then replace the rail.

I doubt if the side mount bracket is misaligned. I would suspect your mount.

I am assuming that your scope mount has some sort of picaninny or weaver rail. My rail comes off of my mount. If that is the case, I would remove the rail, and remove 1/16 of an inch from the front. Then replace the rail.

I doubt if the side mount bracket is misaligned. I would suspect your mount.

+1

You might try also shimming where it bolts or screws down, with a washer or two.

edit to add: my mount did the same thing, and zeroed the same on a vepr and saiga 308-1 ver 21.

Edited by Bvamp