20 Rd Drum FAQs

Just got my md20 a couple weeks ago i have not shot it yet but i seen on this forum that the federal 2 3/4 round with the flight control wad runs smooth in the drum. I picked up a 100rds of it to test out the drum hopefully next week. My question is what other brands of ammo will cycle properly in the md 20? I want to stock up but i don't have time to test a bunch of brands.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, Corbra has tested them extensively. They're very effective. This door hasn't budged an inch!  

I figured it may be appropriate to post this here too for anyone stumbling around looking for the owner's manual.           The pics above are much larger when clicked on to enlarge, bu

As I was dumping 12 rounds at a time down range, I just kept thinking "wish I had 8 more rounds between mag swaps" GRANTED

Posted Images

Any thing out there for the saiga-12 with larger then 20 rnd capacity?

And/or any word on the 20 rnd stick mag ?

Alliance has their 30 round Raithmaker drum for sale:

What was the AA link

Nevertheless, I just order the MD Arms 20 round drum with clear back and the Gunfixr Plug.

You should edit the link out of your post. I have a 30 rounder and love it, but you are not allowed to post outside business links

• 3 weeks later...

Merry Christmas everyone and here is my sad story.

I bought a Wraithmake last year. Then I read the 'bad news' commentary, Then I hear that they function well.

I have also read where a modification either to the Saiga or the drum itself fixes everything. What can I do/have done

to make the wraithmaker work with my Saiga 12. If this can be done to the exclusivity of using wraithmaker drums, that's fine, I'll buy a few more.

Currently I am housebound with cellulitus in both legs and at 64, something of a gloomy Gus.

Were it not for Wild Turkey and Percosets I would have had a bummer of a Christmas...

Griz

• 1 month later...

Howdy.

I'm new here. I just heard of Saiga today and so far am quite impressed with what I've seen. I'm a Peace Officer in CA and I was hoping someone here might be able to point me to the applicable law(s) that would tell me if I'm allowed to own one of these shotguns with a removeable hi-cap magazine. I know that as a Peace Officer I am allowed to buy certain firearms that aren't available to the general public (such as an AR 15 with removeable hi-cap mags). I don't know if this exception applies to the shotgun laws however. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chumbley

Let me start by saying California is retarded...

It's like California decided they wanted to join canada and stop being part of the USA...

Your best bet may be to visit this forum for more california limatations and what you are allowed to have http://www.calguns.net/ Most places will not ship anything to California even if you are a LEO...

Good luck!

Has anyone sprung for one? I don't care if you haven't shot it. Just, wow. That thing just looks soo ... Tony.

Yeah, Corbra has tested them extensively. They're very effective. This door hasn't budged an inch!

post-1293-1203177722_thumb.jpg

Are you saying its just a 30 round door stop? Im not very excited with how open it is, as you cant see how many rounds are loaded with the zip up cover on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Why does the drum cost so much?

I hope other companies start making the saga drum. Any info guys?

There is a lot more to a drum mag then a box mag that is where the price comes form. $100 (current preorder price) is pretty cheap when you look at it.

Chaos is making a 10 round drum as well but has yet to release it.

There is a lot more to a drum mag then a box mag that is where the price comes form. $100 (current preorder price) is pretty cheap when you look at it.

Cool thanks for the info. I was talking about the Alliance Armament drum that was $425. :eek: I think I will perorder the $100 drum from md arms (I wish they were 30 rounds tho). How much will they be after they hit the market I wonder?

Edited by dadaak
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Q: Does this drum take all 2 3/4 inch 12ga rounds? 3 inch rounds?

A: No. Our mag will take the very most of 2 3/4 inch rounds up to 2.40 inches in length. Some 2 3/4 inch rounds such as roll crimped Wolf and steel cased Silver Bear or too long to fit at 2.50 inches or 2 1/2 inches. This drum will not accept 3 inch mag rounds and can in no way be modified to fit them.

I'm rather perplexed by this statement. Last I checked 2 3/4 inch = 2.75 inches. Since when is 2 3/4 inch less than 2.40 inches?

Q: Can this drum be loaded on a closed bolt at full capacity?

A: No. Our drum cannot be loaded on a closed bolt at 20rd capacity. It can be loaded on a closed bolt at 19rd capacity.

If the bolt and carrier has been contoured to fit a fully loaded mag with the bolt closed will it work with a fully loaded MD Arms drum?

Edited by FrustratedInCali

Q: Does this drum take all 2 3/4 inch 12ga rounds? 3 inch rounds?

A: No. Our mag will take the very most of 2 3/4 inch rounds up to 2.40 inches in length. Some 2 3/4 inch rounds such as roll crimped Wolf and steel cased Silver Bear or too long to fit at 2.50 inches or 2 1/2 inches. This drum will not accept 3 inch mag rounds and can in no way be modified to fit them.

I'm rather perplexed by this statement. Last I checked 2 3/4 inch = 2.75 inches. Since when is 2 3/4 inch less than 2.40 inches?

Q: Can this drum be loaded on a closed bolt at full capacity?

A: No. Our drum cannot be loaded on a closed bolt at 20rd capacity. It can be loaded on a closed bolt at 19rd capacity.

If the bolt and carrier has been contoured to fit a fully loaded mag with the bolt closed will it work with a fully loaded MD Arms drum?

A. The shell's OAL becomes 2.75 after it has been fired. When still crimped the length is between 2.35 and 2.50. The 2.50 length shells (like RIO and Wolf) are too long to fit inside the MD20 in their unfired state.

B. I don't know, never tried to load one on a closed bolt. I've read others have done enough modification to their bolts and BCGs to allow it, but I never even tried.

S&B 2 3/4" 00 Buckshot shells wont fit either.

Speaking of the MD Drums hows the recent batch going?

That's a good question! Haven't heard any updates since my order was made. It sure would be nice to get an update since things seem to be taking longer than expected.

The USAS-12 and StreetSweeper were individually named as Destructive Devices. The ban was not a blanket ban, so it only pertains to them. The only thing illegal on the USAS-12 is the barrel. Every thing else on or about the gun is legal.

You forgot to mention the Franchi SPAS 15.

Spas1.jpg

Spas2.jpg

I live in Argentina and have the three ones (USAS 12, Spas 15 and Saiga 12). And the most reliable one, is the Saiga.

The other two are heavy, and terrible to handle.

I never knew why you accepted the Saiga, and restricted the other two.

• 4 months later...

The USAS-12 and StreetSweeper were individually named as Destructive Devices. The ban was not a blanket ban, so it only pertains to them. The only thing illegal on the USAS-12 is the barrel. Every thing else on or about the gun is legal.

You forgot to mention the Franchi SPAS 15.

Spas1.jpg

Spas2.jpg

I live in Argentina and have the three ones (USAS 12, Spas 15 and Saiga 12). And the most reliable one, is the Saiga.

The other two are heavy, and terrible to handle.

I never knew why you accepted the Saiga, and restricted the other two.

cool pics and we never accepted the other two because bureaucrats are retards and think all fire arms are evil:devil: (and they fall under the ever so cool full auto category):super:

• 1 month later...

I've bought 2 MD Arms 20 round drums. They took a lot of fitting to snap into my Saiga-12.

I've also bought 1 ProMag 12 round and 1 20 round drum. They also required fitting, Though nowhere near as much. The promags may have just a bit of wobble in them.

I also have a number of SureFire 12 round stick mags. They seem to function after I break them in by hand-cycling. Until then, they seem to drop the rounds a bit low, and that causes damage to the end of the shell where the crimp is.

Based on my experience so far, the drums seem very similar. I have not fired from either, but I have tried cycling by hand, and everything seems to work...after considerable fitting.

RecycledElectrons

• 1 month later...

"Our mag will take the very most of 2 3/4 inch rounds up to 2.40 inches in length. Some 2 3/4 inch rounds such as roll crimped Wolf and steel cased Silver Bear or too long to fit at 2.50 inches or 2 1/2 inches".

I have a hard time understanding that the drum will take 2 3/4 shells up to 2,40 in length.

Uh.....Isn't 2 3/4 equal to 2.75...???

Thanks....Prolly just missing something.

Hey guys,

I have a promag 20rd drum and have a question. Probly pretty silly at that, but here it is. :) What is the lever on the back for?

its a load assist. basicly you push it in and slide it down. it supposedly lets you load easier by taking some tension of the top. my father in law has one and personally i dont notice much difference either way.

I have a hard time understanding that the drum will take 2 3/4 shells up to 2,40 in length.

Uh.....Isn't 2 3/4 equal to 2.75...???

Thanks....Prolly just missing something.

A 2-3/4" shell is 2.75" when open/empty, after being fired. When crimped/closed up, they measure under 2-1/2". Most US made 2-3/4" shells (Federal, Win, Rem etc.) measure up to 2.40" crimped. Most euro 2-3/4" shells (RIO, S&B etc.) measure over 2.40" crimped, however there are exceptions for both US and Euro shells, so YMMV.

Edited by Mullet Man

Hey guys,

I have a promag 20rd drum and have a question. Probly pretty silly at that, but here it is. :) What is the lever on the back for?

its a load assist. basicly you push it in and slide it down. it supposedly lets you load easier by taking some tension of the top. my father in law has one and personally i dont notice much difference either way.

Thank you very much. :) I didn't notice any diffrence either and figured it served a more usefull purpose.