20 Rd Drum FAQs

Can anyone say just what doesn't run in this gun with md20?

Looking for surplus/imported cheap high power

bigger than birdshot damage before UPS raises rates in August.

3rd post regarding this.

Far as I can tell Rio doesn't fit till you bust the primer.

Requesting more detail information.

The round I keep in my MD-20s to grab & go is Winchester Super-X 12 pellet 1325 fps .00 buckshot.

It's powerful & feeds like a dream through the MD-20.

Ammunition To Go has it in 150 round cases for for $114.95. That's just under .76 cents per round

There's this thread where many, many ammos that work & don't in the drums are outlined

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/46189-md20-ammo-table-guide-pdf-attached/

I did not know that thanks for the great input Pauly!

No problem, thanks for the thanks.

The MD-20 is hands down the most dependable US made S-12 magazine even when compared to the stick mags in my experience, it just uses a higher spring pressure to be able to spin around & feed the shells quickly like it does. On most guns that I've run across the MD-20 runs great with low brass on the spring setting out of the box, but on borderline guns the power loss from the added friction of the top round against the rough & rudimentarily cut bolt can affect cycling more.

Even a simple DIY grade job as outlined in this thread can greatly improve the performance on a borderline gun.

With that minor polish & profile adjustment & 3 ports at .093" (1 port partially obstructed) the gun that that bolt & carrier is in never misses a beat with the MD-20 when shooting the Federal & Winchester bulk-pack stuff on the factory spring setting for testing.

I've had issues that had to be worked out of all the US stick mags, but strangely enough never the MD-20.

One would think a more complex mag would be less reliable, but in this case that statement would be far from the truth.

Another thing that people should try if they're having issues with the drum with low brass but they don't have issues with stick mags on the same ammo is the MD-Arms Booster Puc.

It has been proven to improve cycling & that added boost will likely take up the difference.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, Corbra has tested them extensively. They're very effective. This door hasn't budged an inch!  

I figured it may be appropriate to post this here too for anyone stumbling around looking for the owner's manual.           The pics above are much larger when clicked on to enlarge, bu

As I was dumping 12 rounds at a time down range, I just kept thinking "wish I had 8 more rounds between mag swaps" GRANTED

Posted Images

My drum fit right on, though I had to trim both 10 round mags. Having a problem reaching around it though. Is there any kind of fold out handle for the front end that can be attached to stick out to the side? (I shoot lefty). Or some other resolve? Thanks for any help.

Edited by Spindrift

OK. It took me a looong time to come up with the FINAL ANSWER. Long story short. If you get caught with a Saiga with anything over a 5 round mag in assachusetts you are SCREWED. It is ILLEGAL. The 5 round mag IS the high capacity mag you can have with a Class A or B concealed carry permit. I wish it were different, but that's the dumb ass law.

• 4 weeks later...

I have two md-20's that I ordered from mdarms.com I got them very fast thanks Mike. They both have worked great with several hundred rounds of ammo through them. I think the 100 round packs of remington birdshot have ran the best as far as the cheap stuff goes. Never heard of any broken necks but shit happens. I 100% suggest getting an md arms drum or 5 LOL.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone. I am in bad need of some tech support. I have two 20-round Saiga-12 drums from ProMag. One works great and the other doesn't. On the one I've been having problems with, I disassembled it, and tried winding the spring up some more to put more tension on the spring. That didn't work; I'm still having FTF problems. I'm using an adjustable gas plug (Tac-47). This drum is not that old. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Anyone wanting to offer help, can also email me at crocker.jim@gmail.com if that is easier for you.

Thanks,

Jim

• 1 month later...

I'm a bit of a Saiga n00b, and I think I may have filed down my MD20 a bit too much. When I took it to the range this past weekend, the drum dropped out of the gun after firing two rounds. Does anyone have any tips for making the mag fit more snugly? I was thinking something like caulk or some Mighty Putty might do the trick. lol I'd rather not get too messy though.

• 4 weeks later...

I know you have stated simply "Calif. does not allow detachable magazines on any semi-auto shotgun, but what about bullet buttoned shotguns? That';s how we legally have AK and AR's here in Ca.

Once that is installed, the mag is no longer 'detachable" in Ca., without a tool.

Would that allow 10 round drums?

Edited by icefire
  • 2 weeks later...

Got my MD-20 a couple of days ago, put it in my brand new Saiga-12, and it ran 24 out of 25 with 1 stove pipe FTE using Remington Sport Load ammo, 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2 shot, 1200 fps. A blast to shoot!

The drum fit in my gun without any modification, I have it on the no. 2 setting.

The only thing I have done to the gun is dry cycle it while watching TV maybe 300 times, and it really smoothed out the action a lot compared to when i first got it.

I have some upgrade items coming in, and I'm going to convert it as well. What a fun gun...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

All the places referred by most on this site as good honest dealers are out.

I just filled out the "email when in stock" form.

I can't remember what site it was cause I didn't fill out the notification form, but they said they expect some in stock around 9/15/12

I figure I can wait since they were selling them for $115.

I'd rather pay $99

Edited by Pro2A

OK for anyone who lives in Virginia. If you have a Saiga 12 with a folding stock do not even think about putting a 20 round drum on it. As soon as you do you are in violation of the street sweeper law which is an instant felony. Residents of other states should check to make sure it isn't a local law.

I have a ProMag 20 round drum and have had no complaints.

Got my new Promag 20 rd drum got slide fire stock ready to go play pull trigger, FTE,try again ,FTE put in 5 rd mag zip no problem Promag!.

good way to turn a semiauto into a single shot.

hope promag can make it right until then I wont recommend them to anyone.

• 5 weeks later...

Ok I need to retract my last statement after taking the drum apart I rounded the top edge inside and hit it with some silicone spray then putting back together with 3 wrap on the drum spring it fires all 20 rds with no FTE makes it alot of fun.