Problem with scope mount

I purchased a scope mount for my .308 yesterday along with a cheapie Simmons scope. Today I took it to the range to get it sighted in. While getting it sighted in the scope mount fell off. I guess the vibrations from the shooting must have loosened it where it attaches to the side mount. Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening? Thanks in advance. I love shooting the .308-the recoil isn't as bad as I thought it would be and once I got it sighted in, was getting some nice groups-all within the bullseye and next circle. If I could only get this scope mount problem fixed.

What scope mount are you using? A lot of them really are dinky. Mine hasnt had an issue- at any rate, alot work like this. If the outside of teh scope mount is facing you (mine says Made In Belarus), take the lever, lifting it out of its groove, and moving it to the Right. Slide onto scope mount base on your rifle, and then push the mount all the way forward (towards the barrel), making sure that both ends of the scope mount are in the groove of the scope mount base. Then, rotate the scope mount lever forward, then lift it to where the catch tab on the lever is put in the cm-sized notch on the bottomside of the mount, that should make it sturdy. I had similar issues figuring it out when i put mine on. I hope thats what you were looking for and hope that that helps.

I was able to get it tight by making the adjustment you advised. However, I am not happy with this arrangement and will be ordering the mount from CTD which tightens via 3 Allen head screws. I don't plan on taking the scope off that often and the inconvenience of using an Allen wrench is inconsequential to me. Thanks ^_^

The levers worked pretty good for me, mine also has 4 set screws on it to where i can actually lock it down on the receiver, but i dont have a device to turn the set screws:P. At any rate, theres alot of them out there with levers, and some are cheap and the other ones arent, it can be tricky to find a good one, but atleast you didnt go for the dust-cover-mounted scope mount:P Best wishes to ya and let us know how it turns out =)

I was able to get it tight by making the adjustment you advised. However, I am not happy with this arrangement and will be ordering the mount from CTD which tightens via 3 Allen head screws. I don't plan on taking the scope off that often and the inconvenience of using an Allen wrench is inconsequential to me. Thanks ^_^

Apparently what I bought was a quick-release scope via a lever. To tighten the scope mount to the Saiga side mount you have to adjust a screw on the lever. Once I took some pliers to it-no more problem. It will take a cutting torch to remove it now!!! I shot it again today with no further problems.

I have the low-rise UTG mount from CDNN investments ($29.99)

It works well. But i've found that the rail on my .308 was slightly thinner than the one on my x39. SO when I transfered the mount over I had to tighten it down more.

The KEY is to make sure you start feeling some resistance about 40% through the lever motion then have it tight enough to hold on about 85% of the way through then just push that extra 10-15% for good measure.

I too noticed that it was walking off the back on my .308 but a little extra tightening solved the issue.

It works well. But i've found that the rail on my .308 was slightly thinner than the one on my x39. SO when I transfered the mount over I had to tighten it down more.

The KEY is to make sure you start feeling some resistance about 40% through the lever motion then have it tight enough to hold on about 85% of the way through then just push that extra 10-15% for good measure.

I too noticed that it was walking off the back on my .308 but a little extra tightening solved the issue.

Hmmm. You should not transfer scopes between rifles as the ballistics and zero will vary. Every rifle should have one dedicated scope and mount. Removing a mounted scope for cleaning or any other reason will cause a shift in zero.

Hmmm. You should not transfer scopes between rifles as the ballistics and zero will vary. Every rifle should have one dedicated scope and mount. Removing a mounted scope for cleaning or any other reason will cause a shift in zero.

LOL

I was removing the mount from the X39 to use on the .308 exclusively. If I want optics back on the x39 I'll buy a new mount. BELIEVE me, I know there will be a difference in zero between the two rifles both left and right and up and down.

* OH and as to the "Removing the scope will cause a shift in Zero" . . . yes... and no.... the QD mounts are amazingly good at returning to original zero.

Edited by SaigaNoobie