Nato vs Warsaw, Tapco vs K-Var

Guess Warsaw folks are little people. :lol:

It's all about how the weapons are employeed.

Nato rifles are fired accross the body. Warsaw are fired perpendicular to the body. Try it if you have both weapons. For an M-16 standing engagement you would stand at or more than a 45 degree angle to your target and bring the rifle to your shoulder. An AK, you are very close to being squared up to your target then bring the rifle to your shoulder. If you can dig up old videos you can clearly see the different shooting styles being used. The best though are to watch videos of American soliders using soviet weapons on training ranges, since they shoot them American style (cross body) most often. Then flip over to a Soviet military video and you will see the same weapon employeed almost straight away from the body.

Of course, doctorine has change a lot since both weapons were designed so now you see a lot of adjustable pull lenght stocks to accomodate different shooting styples and equipment.

My Tapco collapseable has the cleaning kit compartment. I wonder why they chose to exclude it on the fixed stock? That would be a prerequisite for me when buying an AK stock.

I don't know. I think I made a mistake all around with getting the Tapco. For the fact of no kit compartment, and it's too short for me. I shoulda went with a Nato length stock :rolleyes: .

Isn't it nice to have a photo showing the differences.

Yeah, hopefully it will help someone in ordering the correct one. I knew which was longer, and which was shorter. But I should have measured the factory stock before ordering the Tapco to give me an idea of what I needed, because that fit me pretty good. Ah well, live and learn.

• 1 month later...
How well made is the k-var compared to the tapco?

I have the tapco, and i really like the length (and I am 6'2").

Just quality-wise, what are the differences? the tapco one feels pretty sturdy.

oh, and what are the total measured lengths of the warsaw and nato stocks

The kvar sock is considerably stronger.

The kvar sock is considerably stronger.

hmm. Kinda wish I'd seen this before I did my conversion.... oh well! I guess now I know for my next one :devil:

Tapco isn't bad, it is also considerable cheaper in cost from my end. The tapco is fine for range gun. I just wouldn't use the stock to strike someone.

I just wished tapco made a nato

I have NATO length K-var on my x39 and S-12 they work fine for me. The reason Warsaw Pact stocks are so short is the troops usually have heavy coats on and a regular stock would be too long. Hence if your not fighting in Siberia or the Russian Front go with a Nato!

• 2 weeks later...
Guess Warsaw folks are little people. :lol:

It's all about how the weapons are employeed.

Nato rifles are fired accross the body. Warsaw are fired perpendicular to the body. Try it if you have both weapons. For an M-16 standing engagement you would stand at or more than a 45 degree angle to your target and bring the rifle to your shoulder. An AK, you are very close to being squared up to your target then bring the rifle to your shoulder. If you can dig up old videos you can clearly see the different shooting styles being used. The best though are to watch videos of American soliders using soviet weapons on training ranges, since they shoot them American style (cross body) most often. Then flip over to a Soviet military video and you will see the same weapon employeed almost straight away from the body.

Of course, doctorine has change a lot since both weapons were designed so now you see a lot of adjustable pull lenght stocks to accomodate different shooting styples and equipment.

Congratulations on FAL purchase. I have a DSA G1 and it is pure beauty and function!

5'=11' and I have the Tapco. Short enough that I have to change my shooting style or I take a plunger to the nose.

As for toughness, if the K-var is tougher than the Tapco, it must be built like a rock. You could hammer in nails with the Tapco stock.

I put a grind to fit limbsaver on the back of my tapco stock and the additional length makes the gun much more comfortable to shoot. The reduced recoil is nice too.

It takes a little more effort to draw it up to my shoulder though. That was one nice thing about the Tapco length was it's maneuverability. The recoil pad is so soft it tends to stick a little bit to clothing.