Here are few pics of my finally completed Dragunov replica. It took me a while to complete it due to extensive mods to the the wood. I also had to wait a while for the flash hider and scope. I did everything on this myself except for the barrel threading. I had the barrel turned down and threaded to 14mm left hand threads. It has the following parts:

RSA adjustable Vepr .308 trigger

PSL/Romak lower hand guard

Hungarian upper hand guard

Romanian gas tube

POSP 4-8X42D scope from Eastwave

Barrel work by Elk River Tool & Die

G&G Armament SVD flash suppressor

Dragunov style butt stock

Blackjack buffer

I plan on putting a Harris bipod on it and then take it shooting. I have not even shot this thing yet and I can't wait.

I also have a few 25 round Surefire mags.

Thanks to Dinzag, Texlurch, BattlerifleG3, and Guido2 for answering all my stupid questions.

pic13014-1.jpg

pic13004-1-1.jpg

pic13012-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here are few pics of my finally completed Dragunov replica. It took me a while to complete it due to extensive mods to the the wood. I also had to wait a while for the flash hider and scope. I did eve

Posted Images

This project turned out VERY nice! How did you attach the lower HG retainer? Is it welded or did you cut a slot in the barrel for the locking cam?

Thanks! actually the lower HG retainer is not finished. It's just on there now for looks. I used a standard AK retainer and hacked it up. I took too much material off and now it fits too loose. I have a spare that I will start to modify. I may try the method of slotting the gas block to hold it. The obvious problem is that the Saiga 308 barrel is a larger diameter than a standard AK barrel.

This project turned out VERY nice! How did you attach the lower HG retainer? Is it welded or did you cut a slot in the barrel for the locking cam?

Thanks! actually the lower HG retainer is not finished. It's just on there now for looks. I used a standard AK retainer and hacked it up. I took too much material off and now it fits too loose. I have a spare that I will start to modify. I may try the method of slotting the gas block to hold it. The obvious problem is that the Saiga 308 barrel is a larger diameter than a standard AK barrel.

Where did you buy the PSL lower handguard from? I've looked at all of the usual sites, and haven't come up with anything

Where did you buy the PSL lower handguard from? I've looked at all of the usual sites, and haven't come up with anything

I actually did a bunch of searching with no luck. K-Var used to carry them but no longer do. So I posted a want to buy ad on AR15.com. Someone responded and I bought it. I got lucky I guess. Not that long ago someone mentioned a source that has them but I forgot who. If I find out I will let you know.

How is that PG portion of the stock? It looks too big, like a WASR. Did you have to make it smaller? It really looks awesome! Please post how you finally modify the HG retainer / barrel.

Edited by Ax-Man

Talk to dinzag. He made me a nice lower HG retainer that was custom fitted to my particular S-.308 barrel. I say that because he sent me one he made that was "normal" and I had to send it back to him with measurements to make me a bigger one. It seems that for some reason I got an extra heavy barrel on this one. Anyway, he can make you one that will fit PERFECT and you will not find a better job done on this type of thing ANYWHERE. :super:

Very very nice. Any additional tips/tricks?

Thanks for all the nice comments. I like when my hard work is appreciated by others.

As far any tips or tricks I would have to say that research, asking questions, and major patience is imperative.

And my Dremel proved to be invaluable. For paint I used semi gloss black engine enamel. For the wood finish I did the same technique as I did on my Mosin and SKS. I stripped the wood to bare, painted it with a few coats of amber shellac, hit it with 0000 steel wool, then about 3 coats of tung oil and hit it with 0000 steel wool in between each coat. I probably could have used a few more coats of tung oil but I am fairly happy with the finish now. A few people that have seen it in person said that these pics don't do it justice.

Ax-Man: The PG portion of the stock is too big, but my hands are fairly large and I can manage to just fit my hand around it. I thought about cutting finger grooves in it but I wanted to see how it feels to shoot first. If it's not comfortable I may modify it.

Edited by turbo mike

Talk to dinzag. He made me a nice lower HG retainer that was custom fitted to my particular S-.308 barrel. I say that because he sent me one he made that was "normal" and I had to send it back to him with measurements to make me a bigger one. It seems that for some reason I got an extra heavy barrel on this one. Anyway, he can make you one that will fit PERFECT and you will not find a better job done on this type of thing ANYWHERE. :super:

+1 with Dinzag, he makes a great product.

GREAT LOOKING GUN!!!!

Please detail what you had to do to the psl lower handguard.

FYI tnguns PSL Handguard has the handguards

Thanks.

All of the mods to the psl lower were at the rear. The front was untouched. I had to cut about an inch from the rear. I also had to leave the tang on the back so that it could fit into the receiver. I will eventually remove it and take some pics so it would be easier to see what was done. Also the inside part of the rear had to be hogged out to clear the rear of the barrel. I put the lowerhand guard on, marked and drilled a hole in the tang so I could use the factory Saiga bottom handguard screw. Next I used my Dremel to grind the area and fit/recess a nut. I then used epoxy to hold the nut. Right now the only thing holding the lower handguard on is the one screw at the bottom front of the receiver. I know that pics will help to understand all of this so I will try to post some up.

We need a sticky with a parts list and instructions on how to build a Saiganov.

I'd like to see the current synthetic Dragunov furniture on it.

Edited by patriot
How did you attach the flash hider? Threaded or welded?

I had the barrel turned down and threaded to 14mm left handed threads.

The rifle is awesome. I like the muzzle-device you used, but was wondering if during your work,

did you consider a PSL type MB? and if so, do you know of any sources for them? I am going to

convert my S308 also to a Saiganov, but want to use a PSL type brake. Thanks

Thanks!

I'm not sure what a psl brake looks like or where to get them. The flash hider is obviously for looks more than function. However I had the barrel threaded so I can put something else on if I want to. I had an FAL and added a muzzle brake. It made a huge difference.

Hello

I looked at this topic last night and I was dreaming about this rifle during the night. Wow nice job!

You are indeed worth of the WECSOG diploma! Great lookin' Saiganov! I'll bet it shoots a LOT better than a ROMAK!

I think I am in love! I came to this site to learn about the Siaga .308. I am trading a 1022 stainless folder later today for one. I was looking for a dragunov...maybe I'll have a siaganov instead!

All I can say is WOW. Seeing all the positive response makes me feel like I actually did something right. Thanks!

Edited by turbo mike