I've had the idea to do a gun like yours for a while, but I think I needed a push by seeing someone else do it. I got the lower handguard, scope and buttstock is on its way. I'll have to scrape up some funds for a long 308 and additional parts. I've had an itch for doing anouther saiga conversion and yours looks great.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here are few pics of my finally completed Dragunov replica. It took me a while to complete it due to extensive mods to the the wood. I also had to wait a while for the flash hider and scope. I did eve

Posted Images

chalk another Saigunov up for me...parts on the way...need a FCG from Dinzag when i start working again...good work turbo mike. how did you get the lower HG to stay put? what kind of mods did you have to do to fit the furniture?

The front section of the lower HG is not really finished yet. The rear section has a tang that fits into the receiver. I used wood epoxy to hold a nut in place and used the original Saiga screw to hold it. The lower HG needed all the work. I had to shorten the back of it about an inch and hog the inside of the rear out to clear the large section of the rear of the barrel. I will eventually take it apart and take some pics of the lower HG. It would be much easier to understand if you could see some pics of it.

post-2329-1206067449_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

As much as I hate to do it I am considering selling this rifle. I have never even shot it. It just sits in my closet tucked away in it's case.

I see that the price of Saigas has almost doubled since I purchased this one.

I could probably use the money for other projects.

Any idea what it is worth?

As much as I hate to do it I am considering selling this rifle. I have never even shot it. It just sits in my closet tucked away in it's case.

Great job with the furniture. With todays prices it may be worth about $1K.

Why do you call this thing Saigunov? The rifle is named after the antelope saiga. :haha:

Why do you call this thing Saigunov? The rifle is named after the antelope saiga. :haha:

For $1K I'll keep it. I have way more than that wrapped up in it.

cause SaigaPSL just doesn't sound right?

Edited by turbo mike

For $1K I'll keep it. I have way more than that wrapped up in it.

cause SaigaPSL just doesn't sound right?

The PSLs go for around $900. Tiger is a much different animal and will cost way more than that. Real SVD are very hard to get and are priced accordingly.

The rifle you have looks wonderful, but it is just a converted Saiga. Keep it for few more months and then decide.

Turbo Mike, do you know of any other places to get the PSL lower handguard? I built my own Saiganov out of a Saiga .223, although the lower handguard is of the standard AK variety.

Sorry, I don't. I posted a wtb ad on ar15.com and got lucky when someone replied and sold me theirs.

Seen it before. It's bogus. The guy's a complete liar. Here's his description:

We are proud to offer a polymer stock set for the Romanian PSL rifle. This stock is manufactured from 35% glass filled nylon and assembled in the USA. The purchase price includes the butt stock and forearms as a complete set. We have inventory on hand and they are available for immediate delivery. A recent ruling by the ATF qualifies these to count as 2 US made parts. Bipod and muzzle break shown in pictures are not included in this auction. If you have any questions please contact me at r-glatz@hotmail.com

Let's get started here:

1. The stock is clearly NOT US-made. It is the exact same stock as the Saiga skeleton and polymer SVD stock, and we already know these are made in Russia. I'm quite certain it's an SVD stock he hacksawed and bolted an adapter block to, by the pictures, as the stock is missing the tang cutout and instead has a screw ghetto-drilled directly through the stock. That stock has had its structural integrity compromised because the tang is not a solid piece.

2. By ATF rules, you can only claim it's US-made if you completely change its purpose (such as by using a foreign stock just for its wood to make, say, a grip). Thus they would have NEVER certified it as a compliance part since its purpose is the same. It's simply been modified to fit a different gun. The handguards would only count as a single part, period.

3. Given that we have already established he is a complete liar, we can pretty well assume that the handguards are also either imported or most likely made from cheap vacuum-formed plastic, particularly since I've never even heard of real polymer PSL furniture.

The guy's a scammer. Plain and simple. Oh, and if you DO use that stock on your gun, you lose the recoil reduction plate from the wood stock which will make your previously fun gun rather painful and unpleasant to shoot.

Thanks for reminding me of that, though. I just reported the guy for fraud.

Edited by Mike the Wolf
Oh well. It still looks good:

TheTwins.jpg

Hey Mike,

Check this out!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=127137818

Mike,

One last thing. Now that you put the AK wood handguard on the .223 the stock on the PSL is closer to the .223 handguard and the stock on the .223 is closer to the handguard on the PSL! Could be the photo. Can you swap them? Good looking pair of rifles. :super:

There's no such thing. A PSL really has no reason to go polymer. You lose the recoil plate and don't save any weight. Only thing you gain is the all-black look. A few US companies did briefly make polymer PSL furniture, but they're all out of production now and most of them were vaporware, never making it to public sale or taking forever to reach the people who did order them. One person said their Ed's Polymer Stock Set took 11 months.

Mike,

One last thing. Now that you put the AK wood handguard on the .223 the stock on the PSL is closer to the .223 handguard and the stock on the .223 is closer to the handguard on the PSL! Could be the photo. Can you swap them? Good looking pair of rifles.

Sorry I missed it earier. The .223 stock came off a WASR. They're the same stock design, but if you look closely you'll notice that the PSL's tang isn't cut as far through because the PSL has an angle cut receiver. The PSL receiver is also a bit longer. The handguards from the two rifles are NOT swappable. The gas block on the PSL is farther forward than that of the Saiga .223, and the PSL handguard just is too long to fit on a Saiga. You cannot install a PSL's handguard there without modifying it. If the PSL handguard were shortened some, it would indeed fit as long as you had a clamping retainer. Overall, though, I'm left with two guns that look, feel, and shoot very similar. The only real difference is the round they shoot.

I stained the wood on my Saiga, but the handguards did not take the stain very well. I need to get some stain prep and reapply it.

Edited by Mike the Wolf
Mike,

One last thing. Now that you put the AK wood handguard on the .223 the stock on the PSL is closer to the .223 handguard and the stock on the .223 is closer to the handguard on the PSL! Could be the photo. Can you swap them? Good looking pair of rifles.

Sorry I missed it earier. The .223 stock came off a WASR. They're the same stock design, but if you look closely you'll notice that the PSL's tang isn't cut as far through because the PSL has an angle cut receiver. The PSL receiver is also a bit longer. The handguards from the two rifles are NOT swappable. The gas block on the PSL is farther forward than that of the Saiga .223, and the PSL handguard just is too long to fit on a Saiga. You cannot install a PSL's handguard there without modifying it. If the PSL handguard were shortened some, it would indeed fit as long as you had a clamping retainer. Overall, though, I'm left with two guns that look, feel, and shoot very similar. The only real difference is the round they shoot.

I stained the wood on my Saiga, but the handguards did not take the stain very well. I need to get some stain prep and reapply it.

Do you have any posts of the scopes you had on them? You had a post thread about a Krebs ?? scope? or something like that.

Both Mike's,

I'm heading your direction with my .223. MW, I do like the converted hand guard. Helps it look more Draganov. The Scope needs higher mounts, I do like how low this is on the rifle. More to come.

Have a beverage!

post-11604-1240377448_thumb.jpg

turbo mike, excellent job on your shooter!

Quick question... in your before picture the butt stock doesn't have the red colored wood pinky extension, but the final does. Did you make that part or buy it somewhere? If you bought it, where if you made it, could I buy one off of you? I have a similar stock, but no extension on it and I kind of suck working with wood.

post-7166-1240380019.png