Cobra's S12K handguard!!!

Thank You Cobra 76 two. Also known as... MY MUTHA-FUGGIN CUZ!!!!

Woo-Hoo!

Here is a pic of my handguard that Cobra made for me, and my future SBS S12K.

Cobra 76 two should be a serious consideration to make items for your Saigas. If You are tool challeged, or just want help. Cobra's the guy! I will post pics of the Vertical Picatinny rail he made for me in just a bit!

post-1520-1205294115_thumb.jpg

post-1520-1205294156_thumb.jpg

post-1520-1205294207_thumb.jpg

post-1520-1205294223_thumb.jpg

post-1520-1205294237_thumb.jpg

post-1520-1205294248_thumb.jpg

Hey Tim, What work did cobra do on the Handguard? What is the differnce in the 12c to the 12k. I know a couple of things, please correct me if I am wrong. the major thing that makes a 12k is when folded it wont fire, there is a mech that engauges the saftey and wont let it fire. Is there a differnt trunion you will have to find? What parts make the folding saftey? WHat is the proper length of the K. I cant wait to see how the internal workings are fabricated, because getting the original stuff is going to be a nitemare. OH BTW if you want some help on the front latch install, I have some great Instructions with measuremnts included. Good luck, Ill be watching, and

rlee_guts.jpg J/K

Edited by ar15pistolpimp

That looks really good, what model did that HG come from originally. I hate to say it, but I think I like the feel of the factory handguards better than anything else we put on them, even if they don't look as cool. This one has a little of both going for it.

Well. You can't really seem to go wrong much now-a-days. When we all first came around the forum back-in-the-day. There didn't seem to be alot of Factory options.

But as most of us that have gotten a gander at the Izhmash catalogs. There are quite a few stock options. AKS-74 metal triangle foleders. SVDS folders. AKS-74M/AK-100 solid folders. WOOD, and plastic alike.

The S-12C is a soldif polymer folder with the Standard handguard found in the US on all S-12's.

The S-12K's are USUALLY seen with the S20K style of Rifle style handguard. And shorter barrel 330mm vs. 430mm.

As far as the Safety De-Activation device on the folder. I'm not doing that. The Safety Folders were for EXPORT pre-dominately I've found. As most of us would love an oppurtunity to own/purchase/create a Russian clone of their usable weapons. I want it as close to a Russian LEO/Military model as possible.

Yes it's a Saiga. No I'm not just a wannabe. If the gun was never IMPORTED in the fashion that it was designed. I see no problem making a CLONE.

If I bought a Saiga. And just engraved S-12C, and put a folder on it. Well. Some make take issue with that.

Not really me. I'd still buy it. But maybe not for $1,500.00

It all started for me at the forum's opening page. The transitioning S-12 is what I want. Have wanted for 6 full years. And I'm not waiting anymore. I took my sweet time. And now that I have EVERY darn thing for it. It's coming true.

Only concern I have is the gas porting. But I'm not even much worried about that. This will be for 00 buck only anyway.

Thanks y'all. :

There's more where that came from...

Been wanting to do those HGs for awhile. I need to find a source for takeoffs like that.

Belt Fed Frog I've got yours 99% finished right now and going to a photoshoot tomorrow....then out of here. Sorry for the wait. The first one I did for ya met with disaster and had to be trashed. :cryss:

Yours was a lot different than the others I've done because it has to mount to your existing stud up front for the adjustment wheel on your IZ- 108.

It looks real slick though! :smoke:

Yo cuz don't be blurrin....You have to put the camera on "macro" (the little flower symbol) when you get up closeer than two feet (on most cams).

I'm glad you are diggin it and got to be first! Always a pleasure doin biz with my cuz.

Cobra ,

having worked machine shop for many many years ,i know about the OOPS, it is not a matter of IF but WHEN, it`s all cool :smoke: i am really looking forward to it and i do mean forward cause right now i can`t even see the rear ears and the bead is just a bright blob with no sharp edges so i have no choice but to go with glass which i can still see

anybody ever seen a Siaga with a cam and 5" TFT color monitor sight i bet not but you may soon :unsure:

Note to self...Don't feed the trolls, choke them instead.
would that be with a cylinder ,modified or full choke :lolol: Edited by belt fed frog

Finished Today! Threaded the Cobra rail, and used a socket screw in factory bead sight size 4mm x 0.7 to secure the rail to the gas system. Both rail, and gas system threaded, and VERY secure.

Used the factory bead sight from the S-12, and drilled a 4mm hole in the last piece of raised rail. Voila! front sight bead for my rail. Stock vertical rib rear ears were attached to hold cobra rail, and do duty as rear sights.

If you look to the low part of the rail just behing the front sight which is on the raised end portion. You can just see the threaded socket screw that can be adjusted by allen key.

This baby is Tops!

Thanks again Cuz! We made a good team on this one!

post-1520-1205448372_thumb.jpg

post-1520-1205448380_thumb.jpg

post-1520-1205448388_thumb.jpg

post-1520-1205448396_thumb.jpg

post-1520-1205448403_thumb.jpg

post-1520-1205448411_thumb.jpg

post-1520-1205448421_thumb.jpg

post-1520-1205448427_thumb.jpg

post-1520-1205448434_thumb.jpg

post-1520-1205448439_thumb.jpg

Edited by dodgeturbointerceptor

Lookin great Cuz! I'm just happy that I was able to help you fulfill that dream cannon. You have been taking about wanting to do a 12-K clone for years! :smoke:

Let me know when you start getting ready to do that folder and forward latch. I know somebody who can hook us up with what we need.

Thanks alot Cuz. I'm sitting on EVERYTHING to do this conversion.

FULL S-12K/AK-100 folder with every pin/part. Including ACTUAL S-12 front retaing latch. (thanks Oleg@Rusmilitary)

Factory S-12K looking trigger guard, and selector stop. (thanks sKott)

Factory IZHMASH Russian pistol grip( thanks Oleg@Rusmilitary)

~optional non-factory on Saiga Shotguns. Pistol Grip Plate. (Thanks Doug Ford aka Tantal) I want a sturdy pistol grip platform, and this plate gets the trigger guard lined up right.

I even kept the Factory Saiga-12 Vertical Rib Sight for Puritan Saiga Love( thanks scoutjoe)

Just gotta knock it out now. I think I've decided to due most of the work myself under the tutelage of a few folks around, and learn a bit about conversions myself. So possibly Form 1 instead of Form 4 BATFE-wise. Still open to a weaponsmith who could help. Will@RedJacket is looking good. And He quoted me a song for it.

Well. You can't really seem to go wrong much now-a-days. When we all first came around the forum back-in-the-day. There didn't seem to be alot of Factory options.

But as most of us that have gotten a gander at the Izhmash catalogs. There are quite a few stock options. AKS-74 metal triangle folders. SVDS folders. AKS-74M/AK-100 solid folders. WOOD, and plastic alike.

Hey turbo (and paging Mr. Cobra!)

Just out of curiosity, and since I haven't seen those catalogs, does Saiga make any kind of forward grip similar to the Kel-Tec SU-16? Looks like a regular forward grip, but folds down into a bipod... Light as hell! I've got a 7.62x39 rifle that is begging for it!! Doesn't like the Harris very much that's on there now (barely)

REALLY interested in something like that but I have almost no fabrication skills!! Just wondering if you've seen anything like that in the catalog.

Thanks,

Paul

I have the Izzy catalog and there are no VFGs or bipods shown in there. The closest thing is the small rail on the bottom of the GB of the EXP- 01 Ver 30 (or SWAT model). They do have Russian folding forward grips (almost identical to the TDI) and Russian made bipods that will attach to a rail, but not both in one. If you want something like that you should contact Sgt Mike (MCSgtNewRiver). He is selling a very nice lightweight forward grip that has two legs that pop out of the bottom of it to make a bipod at the push of a button. Pretty neat grip.

I have the Izzy catalog and there are no VFGs or bipods shown in there. The closest thing is the small rail on the bottom of the GB of the EXP- 01 Ver 30 (or SWAT model). They do have Russian folding forward grips (almost identical to the TDI) and Russian made bipods that will attach to a rail, but not both in one. If you want something like that you should contact Sgt Mike (MCSgtNewRiver). He is selling a very nice lightweight forward grip that has two legs that pop out of the bottom of it to make a bipod at the push of a button. Pretty neat grip.

Thanks for the reply! I tried a search for him, but he's not listed in the member's list! Do you have any other contact for him? This grip you describe (have any pics?) sounds like what I'm looking for, or close to it anyway.

Please let me know!

Thanks,

Paul

Thanks again for the pointer Cobra! I just PM'ed and getting one! Now to find a fwd grip with lower Pic rail to mount it on!!

Yes, that was my 40th birthday present to myself, and my own grad present too because I finally finished my degree (BSEE) a couple of months before! She's a 73, and her name is Lorelei! The last year for chrome rear bumper, and the first of the urethane front bumper. One year only appearance!

Unfortunately, she's up on jackstands for a while until I can replace the front suspension and all 4 brake systems. Previous owner hardly drove her at all, and she mostly rotted down. He put about 10k miles on her in the roughly 20 years he owned her. I'm the 3rd owner and just rolled over 87k miles before put into layup. It's a shame how bad a shape it's in under there considering the low mileage. Her whole life though she was in WA and the elements do not treat a car kindly!!

Hopefully, with all the extra hours and politics working here in D.C. will give me more funds to be able to get her finished this year. Would LOVE to drive her down PCH to Malibu finally!

Cheers,

Paul

Edited by PonchoTA