Found ammo that my saiga really likes.

Ive had the gun for months havent fired it.... till today. Went to the range with 2 boxes of winchester 7.62 nato... which i have to say is crap. I asked the range master to recommend some decent ammo ... first he asks my twist when I didnt know he handed me a box of Federal Gold Medal Match, 175 gr. I have a posp 8x with mill dot reticle on the rifle from sitting position with bench rest my two best groups are right at an inch. I have a few bitches about the rifle... like the trigger freaking sucks and the butt stock is too short cuasing my right hand to hurt like a mofo but i am sold. I was sceptical ... i really went in today thinking poor mans dragonuv my ass. now i want a 16 inch one too.

I'll have to try that out, it's a bit on the heavy side for range practice, but prolly good for piggies!!!

Gold Medal Match is target ammo, it is inappropriate for hunting. It would be okay for military use or police DM applications where expansion is less of an issue, but basically it is meant for Service Rifle/CMP match shooting.

I'll have to try that out, it's a bit on the heavy side for range practice, but prolly good for piggies!!!

Gold Medal Match is target ammo, it is inappropriate for hunting. It would be okay for military use or police DM applications where expansion is less of an issue, but basically it is meant for Service Rifle/CMP match shooting.

Doh! No soft point avail? I don't really like to shoot anything over 150-160.

• 4 weeks later...

So i know three weeks is a while but i figured id post pics of the targets

1inchtux.JPG

... one of the cats decides to get involved

groupwithflyer.JPG

you know I'm a tard i tried to sight in the scope with plain jane surplus 7.62nato

then switched to the federal gold metal match stuff

3 things to know about this pic.. i hung it upside down.... the hole on the left is a flyer

but it shot about 6 inches higher than I was aiming

1inchplus1quarter.JPG

So theres these guys at the range are talking about what a mildot represents at which distance

so the said 1 dot =3.6 inches at 100 yards

and at this point im not aiming at the orange dot with the holes i have another over the bullseye

the scope is supposed to adjust in half moa increments....

so i adjust the scope 2 clicks

well i screwed up a few ways...

moa at 100 yards is one inch so i really neded about 8 clicks

and i adjusted it left and not down.

needless to say .. despite the impressive ammo 20 rounds and i didnt even get it sighted

Edited by Disinformant

Not to rain on your parade but you can't just pick your best three and discard the flyer! :haha: C'mon man, that's cheatin'! Seriously, even with the flyer it's not too bad of a group for a Kalashnikov-based design.

I've seen it recommended that for true grouping you fire ten rounds slow fire at the same aiming point. I would assume you fire one or two and let the barrel cool a bit, as it would skew the results by heating it up over ten rounds in a row.

My S-308 eats anything - that's the beauty of these rifles. I've fed it all kinds of crap ammo and never a problem. I know it's very nedneck of me, but pie plate a 100 yards. I get that with the legendary reliability and I'm good. Plus ask anyone, the AK scares the crap out of these effeminate crooked politicians especially when it's in the hands of a free man and patriot.

Not to rain on your parade but you can't just pick your best three and discard the flyer! :haha: C'mon man, that's cheatin'! Seriously, even with the flyer it's not too bad of a group for a Kalashnikov-based design.

I've seen it recommended that for true grouping you fire ten rounds slow fire at the same aiming point. I would assume you fire one or two and let the barrel cool a bit, as it would skew the results by heating it up over ten rounds in a row.

the flyer was my fault but i understand what you mean .. i was happy bout the ammo not my shooting skill.

I was try to sight my scope in which was one reason for the small number of shots for each group

I will do a conversion before spending any more money at the range.

Ive ordered that bulgarian stock from tick byte.

I just need to know is the red star arms trigger worth the $60 bucks over the standard g2 from tapco?

oh and i dont mind the scrutiny .. or else i wouldnt have even bothered posting pics

Edited by Disinformant

As an M-14 clone owner I've heard to stay away from a steady diet of the heavy 173 or 175gr loads as it's tough on the receiver over time (as opposed to 150 or 168gr'ers). Not sure if that would necessarily apply to a Saiga though.

Yes in my opinion the red star trigger is worth the extra money its fully adjustable and it drops in with no mods to the trigger group unlike the G2. I did have to remove a small notch from the safety lever to get it in though. So they both require a little modifying but the adjustability of the RSA trigger is leaps and bounds over the G2. Either are leaps and bounds over the stock trigger. IMHO

Manta

post-2619-1207445507_thumb.jpg

wait until you have shot about 300 rnd and broken in that saiga things tend to change slightly until its fully broken in. some ammo that wasnt that good gets alot better ...ect i would try several differnt brands but that is a great start you got 1 brand you know will shoot good hopefully you can find a cheaper one that you can hunt with :) congratz way to go

168 grain BTHP is a great hunting round. Neck shot or spine shot drops them in their tracks. Practice with the best....shoot the best.

Of course, I hunt with a different rifle for deer than my Saiga walking for pigs...