Most have two separate triggers that can be pulled simultaneously. Some have one trigger that you pull twice from what I hear. My grandfathers old side by side had two triggers and two hammers. Nowadays they even make them with no exposed hammers and apparently with hammers that are just for looks. I'm just now getting into this myself. I want to get a "Coach Gun" with 20" barrels. I had one lined up and got my interest peaked, then it fell through... :cryss:

That one was hammerless though. I would really prefer to get one with the classic look of the exposed hammers. Remington has some very nice ones that are actually Russian made. That's what I want.

So having more than one trigger on a firearm that is activated in the same motion (But can be fired independantly from the other) is NOT counted as a one trigger pull = 2 shots? It's counted as 2 trigger pulls = 2 shots?

Edited by SaigaNoobie
So having more than one trigger on a firearm that is activated in the same motion (But can be fired independantly from the other) is NOT counted as a one trigger pull = 2 shots? It's counted as 2 trigger pulls = 2 shots?

Yes apparently that is that case.

What prevents someone from putting 3 triggers on an AK that can independently fire one shot each but can be pulled in one smooth motion allowing for 3 shots to fire out of the barrel at a high rate of fire?

What prevents someone from putting 3 triggers on an AK that can independently fire one shot each but can be pulled in one smooth motion allowing for 3 shots to fire out of the barrel at a high rate of fire?

Common sense? :wacko:

Sorry man, don't mean to be glib. It's been a long week.

I DO believe that a double barrel that is intentionally modified or left to fire both barrels with one trigger pull is technically a DD.

technical rendition of machine gun is basically, one shot per human finger pull per shot. so 3 triggers, 3 shots would be akin to a tac trigger. that works by you pulling pushing and pulling the trigger, i think I have that right? so that is indeed 3 trigger pulls.

if you have something with a trigger, or three thin triggering mechanisms on one "finger apparatus" or whaetver you call it, and squeeze your finger ONCE, with each hammer or THE HAMMER DROPPING ONCE FOR EACH STAGE of the trigger pull, you are in fact in possession of a machine gun, because it is ONE SINGLE depression of the trigger. start to end, its more than one shot. regardless if you can STOP per round, as the trigger is manipulated a single time.

does that make any sense noob? without going through the law hoops (wheres caspian to ride my ass) that is it in layman's terms. feel free to quote laws and all of them.

You can fire 2 shots with one pull of the finger... just Curious?

Because the information provided is pretty nebulous about what context you are referring to, below are two statements that attempt to provide some information of what you might be referring to.

Assume you are referring to any of the two trigger, two barreled shotguns, and are yanking both triggers at once. Each trigger is considered a separate 'pull of the trigger'.

If you are referring to the one trigger, two barrel shotguns, typically you will fire one barrel, then the other, with each pull of the trigger in a mechanically set order (left/right or right/left). It does not light off both barrels.

Assuming that either of the above is correct this is a standard firearm and is not a firearm classified as a machinegun, DD, or AOW.

I am not personally aware of any shotguns mechanically designed to fire both barrels from a single trigger pull. If you are referring to a firearm that fires from both barrels with a single trigger pull, could you please post the make and model of firearm(s) you are referring to?

I had a POS Chinese Intrac double barrel coach gun once that could have met that description. :lol:

Of course the wooden fore-end on it would fall off too (thus getting it ready for cleaning I assume? :unsure: ) every time the barrel latch was pushed sideways on it too to open the barrels for reloading, :eek::wacko:

My Stoeger Coachgun when new was really tight and did not like to shoot both barrels at once.It appears now since it's broke in now that it will when I've dry fired it but remember the extra force is going to beat the gun up pretty bad.I've shot slugs and turkey loads in mine and that was just nuts anyway!Fire both barrels at the same time and you will have shoulder damage...

A friend of mine in NY had a friend who had an old savage double barrel (I think it was a savage or steven, at least) in ten gauge that broke and fired both barrels with one pull of the trigger. He shot it two or three times like that, and put it away until he could get it fixed. I found him the correct part for it actually, on one of my numerous trips to the numrich parts warehouse.

Edited by Bvamp

The S x S 12ga that is sold as the spartan by remington will fire both barrels if you reassembling the gun with a part upside down.

Anyone want to ask how I know? That was a painful morning of hunting, I shot 25 times both barrels each time..... I kinda liked it, I fixed it when I got back home for the day.

The part that switchs the barrel that is fired first, it looks like an H with a smaller fork at the top, if you put it in wrong it connects the trigger to both sears instead of one...... Thus causing a lot of pain.

Remember NEVER take a Russian double apart, they have about 5 million little parts that all are held by each other in just a certain way.

Edited by csspecs

You don't have three barrels. How would you time 3 triggers on one chamber?

FYI riding both triggers on a double barrel with two fingers is not exactly smooth when you pull them. Without a fair amount of trigger work and practice doing it, it is anything but smooth. Even if you fire each barrel after the other in this way, the grip is a bit awkward.

If you really wanted to do it smooth, you would have to use two realese triggers. Not sure that has ever been set up in a 2 trigger double?

• 2 weeks later...
The S x S 12ga that is sold as the spartan by remington will fire both barrels if you reassembling the gun with a part upside down.

Anyone want to ask how I know? That was a painful morning of hunting, I shot 25 times both barrels each time..... I kinda liked it, I fixed it when I got back home for the day.

The part that switchs the barrel that is fired first, it looks like an H with a smaller fork at the top, if you put it in wrong it connects the trigger to both sears instead of one...... Thus causing a lot of pain.

Remember NEVER take a Russian double apart, they have about 5 million little parts that all are held by each other in just a certain way.

This is a bit off topic, but since people are tossing around 'broken gun' stories, here's mine from my early twenties;

I have a .32cal colt 1903 automatic that my great-grandfather carried when he was a judge for a traveling oil hunting camp close to a hundred years ago in texas. It stayed in a bag for as long as I could remember hanging on my grandfathers (his son's) workbench. When my grandfather passed away I inherited the bag of parts and.. well...

It's an awful story: when I assembled it I put in the spring housed underneath the backstrap incorrectly and the first time I loaded it, It completely ran away from me and emptied every round I had loaded into the mag. I did say right before I drew the action back "I hope this doesn't blow up in my hand", and everyone laughed. When I released the action it rapid-slam-fired every cartridge in the magazine like a chain smoker on coke, and no one was laughing anymore.

I won't go into too much of the surrounding details, but no one was hurt, and there was no property damage (which is why it never got into the news thank god). Aside from getting the fright of my life, I was really embarrased because it was my first accident ever in over 15 years of handling firearms, and it was also the first gun I'd ever assembled myself. There were no instructions for it (100 year old handgun), and I had to puzzle it out from a parts manifest I found on the internet. I felt incredibly stupid and shamed at the time, but now everyone gets a good laugh (including me) when they visit for holidays and someone tells the story.

I don't think that counts as a machinegun, since I NEVER TOUCHED THE TRIGGER.

After I took it apart, I immediately realized my error, corrected my mistake, and it functions perfectly now. Aside from a little shaking in my hands when I draw it that I don't think will ever go away for as long as I live when I handle that gun.

EDIT: Just in case anyone is curious as to why it slam fired: The spring I put in incorrectly under the backstrap (the safety located at the rear of the grip) when engaged would depress the mechanism that was linked to the trigger. I guess you could say I turned the backstrap into a trigger bypass... of a sort.

Edited by einherjrar

This is a bit off topic, but since people are tossing around 'broken gun' stories, here's mine from my early twenties;

I have a .32cal colt 1903 automatic that my great-grandfather carried when he was a judge for a traveling oil hunting camp close to a hundred years ago in texas. It stayed in a bag for as long as I could remember hanging on my grandfathers (his son's) workbench. When my grandfather passed away I inherited the bag of parts and.. well...

It's an awful story: when I assembled it I put in the spring housed underneath the backstrap incorrectly and the first time I loaded it, It completely ran away from me and emptied every round I had loaded into the mag. I did say right before I drew the action back "I hope this doesn't blow up in my hand", and everyone laughed. When I released the action it rapid-slam-fired every cartridge in the magazine like a chain smoker on coke, and no one was laughing anymore.

I won't go into too much of the surrounding details, but no one was hurt, and there was no property damage (which is why it never got into the news thank god). Aside from getting the fright of my life, I was really embarrased because it was my first accident ever in over 15 years of handling firearms, and it was also the first gun I'd ever assembled myself. There were no instructions for it (100 year old handgun), and I had to puzzle it out from a parts manifest I found on the internet. I felt incredibly stupid and shamed at the time, but now everyone gets a good laugh (including me) when they visit for holidays and someone tells the story.

I don't think that counts as a machinegun, since I NEVER TOUCHED THE TRIGGER.

After I took it apart, I immediately realized my error, corrected my mistake, and it functions perfectly now. Aside from a little shaking in my hands when I draw it that I don't think will ever go away for as long as I live when I handle that gun.

EDIT: Just in case anyone is curious as to why it slam fired: The spring I put in incorrectly under the backstrap (the safety located at the rear of the grip) when engaged would depress the mechanism that was linked to the trigger. I guess you could say I turned the backstrap into a trigger bypass... of a sort.

The old Savage 32 pistols were known for this ............sure will make your eyes bug out and your heart rate go up..........LOL.......ahhhh brings back the early gunsmithing memories, right up there with " here fire this 10 ga., there's something wrong with it".........So I load up the old girl and fire it...........sure enough, damn thing doubled ...........great fun.........of course you pay the gunsmith extra when you play these little games with him............. :smoke:

• 1 month later...

My SxS has two triggers and no external hammers. While practicing trigger manipulation by using my trigger finger, I inadvertently found that you can get the fastest follow-up shot by using the tip of your trigger finger to squeeze the front trigger, but continue with the motion and your finger will hit the rear trigger with enough force to actuate it. It almost sounds like one shot, but you can still hear them both. It works well with clays for me. :devil: