target pics

Looks like consistant groupings why are they in different locations?

Did you use a scope?

Just curious,..

shot my S308 and yugo under folder,ammo used 308-yugo surplus,x39 -wolf and golden tiger 50 yards,post-7672-1205537493_thumb.jpg target on left is the 308

308 ammo was lithuanian 146 grain,I know I need to shoot 168gr ammo but Im not going to waste my FED gold medal match in a blaster S308,have shot 150gr federal and remington without any tumblinging-keyhole problems

What ammo were you using in your .308?? It looks like at least three of the shots you fired "keyholed" This would indicate that the bullets are not stabilizing properly in your rifle.

You may want to tighten the staples up on the targets before coming to that conclusion. I know I see this on a windy day when the target isn't totally secured to the surface. If they're loose and flappin' in the wind, it can make a similar effect.

Okay, not to bash anyone or anything, but I can hit shotgun shells off the 50 yard line about 75% of the time in the first or second shot with irons on the bench, and I don't claim to be any sort of good shot or anything. That seems like an awfully large grouping for being on the bench. It's also entirely possible that I'm missing something and am completely off in left field. Just an observation...

Acer

Okay, not to bash anyone or anything, but I can hit shotgun shells off the 50 yard line about 75% of the time in the first or second shot with irons on the bench, and I don't claim to be any sort of good shot or anything. That seems like an awfully large grouping for being on the bench. It's also entirely possible that I'm missing something and am completely off in left field. Just an observation...

Acer

I believe it's a smaller target, so it's not as bad as it looks. Maybe a little rapid fire in there too. Maybe he's just screwing with our heads

I'm not kicking anyone around here either, but last time I went out, I was nailing pop cans at the hundred yard mark, one after the other, with my 16" S-.308. I was using South African surplus and Prvi Partizan .308 145grn. I guess those targets must have been from the entire day of shooting, perhaps? I hardly ever shoot paper, (mainly old TVs and computers that failed to agree with me) so I wouldn't have a clue what a good group is on paper.

Edited by Maniac Jack

C'mon guys, give the guy a break. Besides, think about it, it's a 308. You hit a person anywhere in the chest with a 308 and he's guaranteed DOA or severely wounded. I'd say he's an ok shot. Remember my story about the local LEO that couldn't hit the target with the AR-15 at less range? The same dude that told me that AK's aren't accurate. Maybe he also had a best correctable vision less than 20/20. I've actually seen that. I know people with vision that won't correct to 20/20 regardless of whatever contacts or glasses they wear. It's got something to do with corneal shape I think. Others over-correct (me) to better than 20/20. Mine corrects to 20/10 with contacts yet I'm a 20/500 without! Again, something to do with corneal shape.

C'mon guys, give the guy a break. Besides, think about it, it's a 308. You hit a person anywhere in the chest with a 308 and he's guaranteed DOA or severely wounded. I'd say he's an ok shot. Remember my story about the local LEO that couldn't hit the target with the AR-15 at less range? The same dude that told me that AK's aren't accurate. Maybe he also had a best correctable vision less than 20/20. I've actually seen that. I know people with vision that won't correct to 20/20 regardless of whatever contacts or glasses they wear. It's got something to do with corneal shape I think. Others over-correct (me) to better than 20/20. Mine corrects to 20/10 with contacts yet I'm a 20/500 without! Again, something to do with corneal shape.

I think what you are referring to is an astigmatism, or irregular (egg) shape of the cornea. It can make it impossible to focus vertical and horizontal objects simultaneously. Like, a telephone wire would be in focus, but the pole would be blurry.

Way to change the subject.

Edited by shaneman153a

Sorry man, I wasn't trying to start a bashing. I was just curious. I mean, all he posted was the targets and some stats, so I assume he was looking for feedback or something, so that's what I gave.

Curiously,

Acer

I understand the target is 14" x 30". Even still, from a bench at 50 yards, it seems like you should be able to get all shots within the 9 ring. In a real life situation, you have to expect a certain amount of inaccuracy outside of what you have here. I'm guessing the 9 ring is about 4" x 6". That seems completely doable from a bench at 50 yards with iron sights. With this grouping from a bench at 50 yards, I'd be keenly interested in figuring out how to tighten the group.

Edited by jakemccoy
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm gonna kick myself in the balls on this one.

Ya know, upon further relection, the target on the right is a pretty damn good group for a life-size target and taking into account how many rounds were fired.

One thing is for sure, I think he killed both of them.