British Sten .303 magazines?

I went to the gun show this weekend, I took my S12 and everyone tried to buy it off of me, which was pretty awesome to know that I have something that is going to be rare someday. I was talking to this one guy about it, and he said you could take a Sten (I guess that's how you spell it) .303 double stack magazine, do a bit of cutting and welding, and that it would hold ten 12 gauge shells single stacked and fit in a Saiga 12. Additionally, he said that I could get 10 of them for around $100. Now, I realize that it will compromise my compliance, but I guess I could just add some more US parts to counteract it.

I did a search on here, and didn't find anything, so he could have just been blowing smoke. Thoughts?

Edited by elvis christ

Thanks for the reply. I'd never heard of the Sten .303, but I had heard of a Enfield. He said you had to cut the top of the mag where the rounds feed into the gun (don't know what it's called) to allow it to accept the 12 gauge shells. Then you have to cut the mag catch tab off and re-weld it to a position comparable to the factory magazine.

It could have been crazy talk, interested to hear more opinions.

All attempts to make a 12 gauge mag out of another mag have failed miserably. So it sounds like that guy was talking out of his ass.

post-1914-1205925289_thumb.jpg

not mine, came across it one day and clicked "save". Thats all I know

Gunshow Guru's think every other person that approaches table is ignorant. Sounds like if if he had the mag's, you probably would have gotten SNOWED. However, in cases like these the only ones that are losers are the Guru's( small %). Do your research prior to going next time. IMO.

Edited by saiga12fan

The guy was trying to make a quick buck off you.

You can pick up Bren mags for $6 or less (Numrich).

I also tried putting a 12ga shell into a BREN mag - it would fit except for the indentations pressed into the sides in the front.

Don't think it's possible to modify one to work.

Edited by SgtRock

The dude didn't have any magazines, otherwise I would have bought a couple and tried my hand at some cutting and welding, so I don't think he was trying to run a scam or make a quick buck. He seemed fairly knowledgeable about the saiga12, as far as its history and the different models, etc. I was looking at some of those magazines though, and I will say it looks like a 12 ga shell wouldn't fit past those grooves, like you said.

Don't bother with trying to make S-12 magazines from other mags. I was going to make them from an HK G-3 (HK91) magazine but ended up getting the magazines from Keepshooitng.com which work nicely and all I had to do is file some material from the rear magazine catch to get it to lock in the Saiga.

Don't bother with trying to make S-12 magazines from other mags. I was going to make them from an HK G-3 (HK91) magazine but ended up getting the magazines from Keepshooitng.com which work nicely and all I had to do is file some material from the rear magazine catch to get it to lock in the Saiga.

All they have are the 5 round mags, I'm looking for at least 10 rounds. Thanks for the link though.